The Student Room Group

Good univeristies for Sociology?

iv been looking at some universities, which include oxford Brookes, Bournemouth, Sheffield, UWE and Bristol for sociology, does anyone know what these universities are like for that subject or in general? I'm predicted around the BBC-BBC with maybe the chance of ABB, does anyone know of any good universities which is good for sociology which look at those grades or UCAS point equivalent. Many thanks
Hiya,
I go to the University of Sheffield and study Quantitative Social Sciences. I take quite a few sociology modules and they're really good! You get a lot of choice of modules and the lecturers I've had have all been very friendly and are happy to answer any questions you have. If you're interested in study a slightly more inter-disciplinary subject you should take a look at the Sheffield Methods Institute which does my course and a course called Applied Social Sciences :smile: If you have any questions about the sociology department at Sheffield or about Sheffield in general just let me know :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IzzySheffield
Hiya,
I go to the University of Sheffield and study Quantitative Social Sciences. I take quite a few sociology modules and they're really good! You get a lot of choice of modules and the lecturers I've had have all been very friendly and are happy to answer any questions you have. If you're interested in study a slightly more inter-disciplinary subject you should take a look at the Sheffield Methods Institute which does my course and a course called Applied Social Sciences :smile: If you have any questions about the sociology department at Sheffield or about Sheffield in general just let me know :smile:

Hi!,
I'm going to the Sheffield open day next month which I'm really looking forward to!. What's Sheffield like as an area? is it a nice place to lie? what's shopping and nightlife like? the area is a really important factor to me because I like to feel comfortable in my surroundings, like anyone I guess! :smile: also, what modules come up in sociology? I do it as an a level as we study, families and households, education, crime, poverty, laws, and racism in wider society
Original post by sophiaaaloo
Hi!,
I'm going to the Sheffield open day next month which I'm really looking forward to!. What's Sheffield like as an area? is it a nice place to lie? what's shopping and nightlife like? the area is a really important factor to me because I like to feel comfortable in my surroundings, like anyone I guess! :smile: also, what modules come up in sociology? I do it as an a level as we study, families and households, education, crime, poverty, laws, and racism in wider society

Hi
I think that's great, personally the open days really helped me make up my mind. I love living in Sheffield, for me it has the perfect balance of city and countryside. It's easy to get everywhere (a student bus ticket is £1) and most places are walkable. The shopping is really good, particularly as Meadowhall is so close by - you can get a tram there from the Uni. The night life is also really varied we've got lots of clubs and bars depending on what you want to do with your night :smile:
In terms of modules, if you look at this link it will show you the modules on offer for this year
http://www-online.shef.ac.uk:3001/pls/live/web_cal.cal3_unit_form?dept_code=SCS&dept_name=Sociological+Studies&disp_year=16 :smile: Feel free to ask me any questions that you have :smile:
Original post by sophiaaaloo
...oxford Brookes, Bournemouth, Sheffield, UWE and Bristol

no-one can accuse you of not including a range, but yours will be the first application ever to include both of Bournemouth and Bristol (that latter is in the conversation for the best UK university for sociology).

Original post by IzzySheffield

I go to the University of Sheffield and study Quantitative Social Sciences.

sensible fellow. Q-step programmes are lending the stereotypically 'soft' social sciences a new rigour and employability.

Here's another example: http://sites.cardiff.ac.uk/qstep/social-analytics/bsc-social-analytics/

This one at UCL is likely out of the OP's reach but the new course circumstance might make it worth a punt:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/courses/undergraduate/social-sciences-quantitative-methods-bsc
Hey sophiaaaloo

I'm currently studying at BU - while I am not doing sociology one of my best friends is and she is loving the course!

Did you have any questions about Bournemouth's sociology course I can try and find out some answers for you!
What course did you end up doing

Latest

Trending

Trending