The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

So here will be the main, official thread in which we will discuss the Latin OCR papers, as of 2016.

First, Latin Language 1.

How did it go?

Scroll to see replies

Latin Language 1 was good, I didn't find it that hard, but had quite a few constructions in it. I aiming for an a*, hopefully! How did everyone else do? Not looking forward to the lang 2 or literature though!
Considering I only started latin at the beginning of yr 10 as an after-school extra class, it went much better than I was expecting! There were a couple of awkward sentences, but I thought it was not as hard as some of the past papers I'd done! Dreading the Lit though, 8 and 10 mark questions are not fun :frown:
Original post by lalafirmstone
Considering I only started latin at the beginning of yr 10 as an after-school extra class, it went much better than I was expecting! There were a couple of awkward sentences, but I thought it was not as hard as some of the past papers I'd done! Dreading the Lit though, 8 and 10 mark questions are not fun :frown:

I had to take a break from Latin, but then started the GCSE in Year 11, so it has been an intense course for me 😂

I agree with the awkward sentences- I feel like there was a mistake with "-bam" instead of "-bo" when Atalanta was talking about the marrying...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bonnie 99
Latin Language 1 was good, I didn't find it that hard, but had quite a few constructions in it. I aiming for an a*, hopefully! How did everyone else do? Not looking forward to the lang 2 or literature though!

There were a fair few unusual constructions, I'll agree.
But like you, I'm not looking forward to the literature...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can we try and do an unofficial mark scheme between us?
panda
panda
panda
panda
I got broads in Atalanta
Reply 7
so paper 2 tomorrow !!
I'm so scared for paper 2
Reply 9
Original post by Doctorwhogeek
I'm so scared for paper 2

Me too
It's probably gonna be really hard because ngl paper 1 was very doable and I never say that about Latin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
What's everyone thinking for language 1 boundaries? I reckon a* could be 54 or even higher. Paper really was very easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doctorwhogeek
Can we try and do an unofficial mark scheme between us?

I suppose that's possible. It's just remembering the questions which will be hell.

I'll start one up for the Language 2 though.
Original post by Joelo00
What's everyone thinking for language 1 boundaries? I reckon a* could be 54 or even higher. Paper really was very easy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'll definitely be higher than 50 for an A*. Saying that, there were a few people with full marks last year, but the grade boundaries were only 48 or so for an A*.
Original post by dance25
Me too
It's probably gonna be really hard because ngl paper 1 was very doable and I never say that about Latin

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm fairly prepared for it to be honest.

I have never particularly got my head round why there's two different language papers, but hey ho.

I'm just anticipating a wide range of cases...the vocative will probably be thrown in a few times.
Reply 14
I'm so scared 😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
As with language 1 and how they stated marks to help you; ie with one of the earlier comprehension questions and the use of the superlative: "celerrime" with only 2 other points to make, thus leading to the deduction that an extra word was required in order to obtain full marks. Such, in language 2, I would advise closely looking at the number of points you've made relative to the maximum marks for each question.

As for the comprehension, be wary of words that look alike and tenses that look similar to another form.
Language 2.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, everyone was right to fear it. Absolute hell in an exam.

I'm hoping for excessively low grade boundaries...
Everything made a lot of sense if you spent time puzzling it out. A couple of discrepancies here and there but nothing too difficult. Definitely a step up from Language 1, however.
Original post by UmbralArbiter
Everything made a lot of sense if you spent time puzzling it out. A couple of discrepancies here and there but nothing too difficult. Definitely a step up from Language 1, however.

It all made sense, but it was difficult in a few respects. There were a fair few words which I had personally never seen before- 'inrupit', which apparently means 'he violated/he broke in'.

Also, did anyone definitely get what the clause with 'tum ventrem suum Anceto offerens exclamavit', or whatever it was, means?

I couldn't work out where the offerens came in, due to the fact Anceto was not in the nominative, yet he was the one that had caused Agrippina to die...
Original post by UmbralArbiter

Good paper in general, only marks i lost was i forgot confecta was wear out and didnt put very many wounds (2 marks lost ) what did everyone get for the line with dominam and facile. These 2 bits are the only places ive lost marks, other than that, im happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending