The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

I probably have posted on here already but i guess there's no harm in doing it again

Subject: Music
Offer: AAB
College applied to: University (Castle)
College allocated to: St.Mary's

Despite how much i loved Castle, St. Mary's is so nice!

If anyone has been allocated to Mary's, there is a facebook group chat for those who would like to be part of it? Peace and good luck with all your exams! ^^
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by jaseho98
Anyone doing Psychology or at Hatfield?! :smile:

I'm doing psychology at Hatfield! :biggrin:
Reply 942
Does anyone know if the entry requirements are strictly what they specified only or do they accept equivalent results? For example, my entry requirement is AAA but if I get A*AB is it still counted as reaching the requirement?
Original post by lauttes
Does anyone know if the entry requirements are strictly what they specified only or do they accept equivalent results? For example, my entry requirement is AAA but if I get A*AB is it still counted as reaching the requirement?

No, it would be up to them if they wanted to still accept you and you might be allocated to a different college
Original post by Danish95
I'm doing psychology at Hatfield! :biggrin:

We've got a facebook group on fb! Join us!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102915299758636/
Reply 945
Original post by lauttes

No - Durham do not count this as 'equivalent results'.
I know this because I was in this exact situation on results day 2015. Offer AAA, results A* A B. I was accepted onto my course as a 'near miss' and although I found out I had been accepted on results day, I had to wait another week or so for my college to be confirmed - which was really frustrating and stressful as other students were making friends and completing accommodation forms etc...
It all turned out brilliantly for me, so don't lose hope, however there is no guarantee a 'near miss' will be accepted and will depend on many factors. Durham are v strict with entry requirements and do not accept 'equivalent' results as meeting offers.
Good luck.
Reply 946
Anyone from India doing archaeology?
Original post by bj1
This is quite worrying, if you don't mind me asking, which course at which universities did you choose last year?

With the deadline looming, I have a huge decision between Durham/UCL for 1st choice (A*AA) and Nottingham, also A*AA (all natural sciences) or biochemistry at Manchester (AAA). Whilst on paper the latter would be the right choice for insurance, I wouldn't want to stay at home and prefer the other courses. Nottingham offered an unconditional if I made them firm, but am tempted to make them insurance.
I am hoping that either would be flexible, but I guess it depends on the course and how oversubscribed it may be.

They shouldn't have invented this extra grade in the first place, there was nothing wrong with the old system, - and the requirements for natural sciences are always higher than the single science, apparently because it's harder.

Hey just wondering what have u decided? I firmed Durham for Nat Sci. ☺️
Reply 948
Original post by Sophie Wilczek
Hey just wondering what have u decided? I firmed Durham for Nat Sci. ☺️

Me too! I managed to persuade UCL to change my offer to Biological sciences which has a lower offer which they did, and they are now my insurance.

But Durham is my first choice, need to get that A*! :redface:
Original post by bj1
Me too! I managed to persuade UCL to change my offer to Biological sciences which has a lower offer which they did, and they are now my insurance.

But Durham is my first choice, need to get that A*! :redface:

Which collage have you been allocated to?
Yeah they asking me for A*AA as well with A*A in maths and further maths. Hopefully we both get in. But ugh so tough. Did u go to any of the open days? I did. Absolutely loved it. 😌
Reply 950
Original post by Sophie Wilczek
Which collage have you been allocated to?
Yeah they asking me for A*AA as well with A*A in maths and further maths. Hopefully we both get in. But ugh so tough. Did u go to any of the open days? I did. Absolutely loved it. 😌

St Mary's. Yes the open day was fantastic! Can't wait to go there, but need to get the grades first! Which sciences have you chosen? I'm guessing maths/physics? I chose biology and probably Earth sciences. Would've liked chemistry but I don't do A level maths so that isn't an option.

Good luck!
Original post by bj1
St Mary's. Yes the open day was fantastic! Can't wait to go there, but need to get the grades first! Which sciences have you chosen? I'm guessing maths/physics? I chose biology and probably Earth sciences. Would've liked chemistry but I don't do A level maths so that isn't an option.

Good luck!

NO WAY!!!! St Mary's! 😂✌🏻️Same! Basically there are like 10 people per year doing nat sci there hahaha. When did u go to the open day? I went on the 21st of March (for the offer holders). + that would explain kinda also why u loved it (silent disco and stuff 😂👌🏻). Mathematics and psychology 😊 Physics is not my thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CharlotteRL
Subject: Biosciences
Offer:AAA
College applied to: St. Marys
assigned to: St. Marys

Also have offers from Birmingham (unconditional), and Warwick.
I have left it pretty late to firm my choices, but I'm leaning towards Birmingham! :biggrin:

I assume you haven't visited St Mary's on the offer holders open day then cause you wouldn't even consider any other place if u would have attended 😂
Look at all these student with A*&A and I do Btec business and law and got an offer for foundation pharmacy 😭😭 feel sorry for you Alevel guys
Reply 954
Original post by hamzaa7866
Look at all these student with A*&A and I do Btec business and law and got an offer for foundation pharmacy 😭😭 feel sorry for you Alevel guys

What's your predicted grades for the Btec business?
Original post by K1'
What's your predicted grades for the Btec business?

My UCAS predicted grade is D*D*D* and they want me to get a DDD... Btec's are marked as P,M,D (CBA) the benifit with Btec is that you know the grade your going to get it just needs to be verified last year I got a D*D* & it's all coursework based no exams... Are you a Btec student! What are you studying?
Reply 956
My UCAS predicted grade is D*D*D* and they want me to get a DDD... Btec's are marked as P,M,D (CBA) the benifit with Btec is that you know the grade your going to get it just needs to be verified last year I got a D*D* & it's all coursework based no exams... Are you a Btec student! What are you studying?

Yep, which other Unis did you apply to? Is Durham your firm and have made an insurance uni?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by K1'
Yep, which other Unis did you apply to? Is Durham your firm and have made an insurance uni?

I only got two offers one at Durham and one at University of East Anglia have you applied this year? And Durham is my firm and University of East Anglia is my insurance
Reply 958
I only got two offers one at Durham and one at University of East Anglia have you applied this year? And Durham is my firm and University of East Anglia is my insurance

Yep, I'm going this academic year as well. When is your deadline for all of the course work submission Heard it is quite early?
Original post by K1'
Yep, I'm going this academic year as well. When is your deadline for all of the course work submission Heard it is quite early?

I don't remember which is bad but I'm different to everyone else in my class they procastonate and get stressed at the end where as I'm always stressed even though it's easier than Alevels ... What subject have you applied for and what's your target? Do you think you'll achieve it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending