The Student Room Group

Which Access to Higher Education Diploma Would Be Best for A Languages Degree?

Hi,

First a bit of background. I've been self studying Japanese for a while now and have become quite proficient at it, I'd like to study in a more structured environment and so a degree seems like the next step. Problem is I don't have the best academic record up to this point and so I’d like to study an access to higher education diploma to improve my chances of securing a place at university next year.

So my question is as the thread title suggests, which access to higher education diploma would be best for a languages degree?

Through my research it seems that the Humanities Access Diploma would be the most fitting of the courses but I might be wrong. I’ve also seen that the Open University has an Access to Higher Education module that can have a large focus on foreign languages if the learner chooses the language units. However as this is a module and not a Diploma I’m thinking it might not be recognised by other universities.

Any input would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by Aurora365
Hi,

First a bit of background. I've been self studying Japanese for a while now and have become quite proficient at it, I'd like to study in a more structured environment and so a degree seems like the next step. Problem is I don't have the best academic record up to this point and so I’d like to study an access to higher education diploma to improve my chances of securing a place at university next year.

So my question is as the thread title suggests, which access to higher education diploma would be best for a languages degree?

Through my research it seems that the Humanities Access Diploma would be the most fitting of the courses but I might be wrong. I’ve also seen that the Open University has an Access to Higher Education module that can have a large focus on foreign languages if the learner chooses the language units. However as this is a module and not a Diploma I’m thinking it might not be recognised by other universities.

Any input would be appreciated :smile:

The Open University does not do an Access to HE course. OU 'access' modules are completely different, they cannot be used to gain entry into a normal university. They're not even GCSE level. You should do a Humanities or a Social Sciences Access to HE course. As long as one of your main subjects is essay based (History, English etc) then the name of the Access course isn't that important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending