The Student Room Group

Q&A on 'legal highs'- ask a drugs expert your questions now!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Poppers aren't illegal I don't think?

Who knows anymore. Impressive mess they've gotten themselves into.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Queen Cersei
The Psychoactive Substances bill is coming into force which means that legal highs will now be banned. So effectively they will be illegal highs :tongue:

If you're curious about the new law and how it will work or about drug use generally, post a question in here for drugs expert Dr Owen Bowden Jones who will pop onto TSR sometime in May (TBC).

Should be a good one :biggrin:

So.. anything from alcohol to opiate painkillers? This is such a stupid bill.
Original post by celloel
So.. anything from alcohol to opiate painkillers? This is such a stupid bill.

No they're exempt.

Subsection (1) defines an "exempted substance" for the purposes of the Bill as a substance listed in Schedule 1. These are substances which are capable of producing a psychoactive effect in an individual when consumed (and would therefore fall within the definition of a psychoactive substance in clause 2), but do not constitute psychoactive substances for the purpose of the provisions in the Bill. Exempted substances are included in Schedule 1 either because they are already controlled through existing legislation (alcohol, tobacco, medicines and controlled drugs) or because their psychoactive effect is negligible (caffeine and foodstuffs such as nutmeg and chocolate)

If nutmegs psychoactive effect is considered so negligible its exempt then i'm not sure what this bill would ban anymore.

Nutmeg contains myristicin, a natural compound that has mind-altering effects if ingested in large doses. The buzz can last one to two days and can be hallucinogenic, much like LSD.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRUsername99
No they're exempt.

If nutmegs psychoactive effect is considered so negligible its exempt then i'm not sure what this bill would ban anymore.

someone at school decided that we should all try nutmeg... it tasted horrible but gave a slightly weird buzz after eating two whole nuts...
Reply 24
Original post by Queen Cersei
They have just gotten back to me and they want to reschedule for May when it should all be sorted.

Still worth popping your questions in here for when it happens and I will bump it nearer the time :h:

Is this still happening?
Reply 25
Original post by KingBradly
What absolute rubbish. The fact that it's the 21st century and adults still aren't allowed to do what they want with their own bodies is a joke.

More than a joke, it is an absolute disgrace, it should be a national scandal, that somebody can sit in their home in privacy doing something that affects only them and risk being arrested if found out. Really, it is appalling, it is very literally tyranny.
Original post by hovado
Is this still happening?

Yup!

Just got moved to Friday 3rd at 3pm!

I will update the OP :smile:
Original post by hezzlington
I'd also love to know why drugs like LSD are illegal.

Any legitimate "drugs expert" will tell you that it's because our government is run by clueless, "tough on crime" morons, and that the simple fact is that we'd all be safer if everything were legalised. But since this is TSR, I have a feeling you'll just get "drugs are bad".

My questions:

1. This has already been tried in Ireland, and it made the legal highs problem significantly worse. Why would we expect anything different here?

2. What does this mean for substances developed in the future? For example, Professor David Nutt is working to develop a safe, synthetic alternative to alcohol, which could potentially save 6000 lives per year in the UK. Under the Psychoactive Substances Act, this substance would be illegal to produce or supply, while alcohol would remain legal. It seems like many safe substances will be prevented from ever coming into public use due to this act, while the deadliest drugs in the world (tobacco and alcohol) remain completely legal.
Criminalising substances has never made it safer. If people still want to use it, they'll find backstreet dealers, which will hand over the power to them. Wouldn't it be much safer if the government regulated and decriminalised drugs? The power then wouldn't be with someone who could put literally anything in what their selling, and just does it to make money. :iiam:

But that's just the ramblings of a hippie...
1) is alcohol worse or drugs worse?

2) is marijuana really that harmful to the body?

3) What is the reason some liberal countries legalize marijuana without fear of abuse?

4) Will a complete legalization of all drugs reduce drug abuse/addiction ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
Any legitimate "drugs expert" will tell you that it's because our government is run by clueless, "tough on crime" morons, and that the simple fact is that we'd all be safer if everything were legalised. But since this is TSR, I have a feeling you'll just get "drugs are bad".

My questions:

1. This has already been tried in Ireland, and it made the legal highs problem significantly worse. Why would we expect anything different here?

2. What does this mean for substances developed in the future? For example, Professor David Nutt is working to develop a safe, synthetic alternative to alcohol, which could potentially save 6000 lives per year in the UK. Under the Psychoactive Substances Act, this substance would be illegal to produce or supply, while alcohol would remain legal. It seems like many safe substances will be prevented from ever coming into public use due to this act, while the deadliest drugs in the world (tobacco and alcohol) remain completely legal.

Prof. David Nutt is a brilliant man.

Interesting how he states cannabis is not safe though. I think a lot of what he says gets taken out of context by both the for drugs and against drugs parties.
Can someone with more know high clarify to me whether it's illegal to purchase legal highs now, or just to sell them.

I read 1/2 articles when the ban was finally going to be implemented and they only mentioned it being illegal to sell... so surely anyone who buys them can't get in trouble if that's the case?
Professor David Nutt wrote an insightful piece for the Guardian on this issue a few days ago:

'This ban on legal highs will only have one effect: more drug-related deaths.'

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/31/ban-legal-highs-drug-related-deaths-alcohol

The above article does not necessarily reflect the views of TSR.
(edited 7 years ago)
Why would someone want to take illegal highs, and what are the long-term effects? :smile:
Thank you for answering my question, I appreciate your time!
Just like the prohibition of alcohol in america which lead to illegal counterfeits being made, aka moonshine, making people blind because the addicts will still use the drugs whether its legal or not!

A backstreet version of these drugs will come out- likely a hell of a lot more dangerous because instead of being made in a genuine regulated lab, they are made in some guys garage.

I personally don't understand why all drugs aren't legalised and taxed- this would generate so much income for the government and make drugs safe! popular drugs like MDMA and LSD do not kill people in their pure form!!! it's when you make backstreet chemicals as a cheaper alternative and selling them as these drugs do people die!!! absolute stupidity.
How is the government planning to enforce this act effectively?
Reply 36
I'm really confused.. if legal highs are banned, won't people just move to the far more dangerous legal drugs: alcohol and cigarettes?
In your view, in the near future, will the government's drug policy development process shift to being purely evidence-based rather than apparently primarily driven by a reactionary response to media scare stories (arguably without fully consulting scientific experts)? Do you believe that it's irresponsible of a society to allow politicians to dictate health policies without proper scientific consultation (for example, the sacking of Professor Nutt and the dismantling of his highly respected advisory body)?

(My views don't reflect those of TSR as a whole)
(edited 7 years ago)
Good.
Reply 39
I remember learning about Professor Nutt's graph in A Level Biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending