The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Unit 2 Global Investigations-Friday 20th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

I didn't tick which question to do, will it still get marked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Original post by ImagineCats
u fools nobody listened to me

It didn't come up though
Original post by tovo242
Did anyone do Rebranding and Crowded Coasts?

How did you feel about it?

It felt hard in general, half of the questions were hard and I ran out of time
Do you think they'll push the grade boundaries up or down?

I thought the questions weren't too bad but i just didn't have time! I think the boundaries may go up as the questions weren't that hard
Original post by harryleavey
Virtually none of this came up

I made the text bold and underlined it for a reason
For the last question on rebranding i was talking about the Cardroom Estate being transformed into New Islington in Manchester. But at the top where it asked for the location i just said it Manchester. This doesn't matter though, right? I still mentioned the places in the question.
Original post by Andrew Dainty
For the last question on rebranding i was talking about the Cardroom Estate being transformed into New Islington in Manchester. But at the top where it asked for the location i just said it Manchester. This doesn't matter though, right? I still mentioned the places in the question.

I think your bigger worry should be that the question was actually asking about the need to rebrand, not the strategy
:o:S
I think your bigger worry should be that the question was actually asking about the need to rebrand, not the strategy

I mentioned both so hopefully i can get a decent score on that question. I overall found that paper really nice so hopefully i would have gathered enough marks to make up for it :smile:
Original post by Andrew Dainty
I mentioned both so hopefully i can get a decent score on that question. I overall found that paper really nice so hopefully i would have gathered enough marks to make up for it :smile:

Ok, I didn't like the Stratford question with the resource. I found that I was repeating myself and I didn't structure my answer very well.

What did you say for this question (trends in additional income over time)?
For those who did extreme weather, what 2 strategies did you write for the management?
I did drought:
- Desalinisation
- Farming Technique: Zai Farming
Original post by Davidych
I am sorry mate, but I am afraid this wouldn't get many marks as Cornwall is recognized as a rural area, and the question was specifically asking about urban, and therefore you should have talked about rebranding before London olympics, Canary Wharf in London etc...
Or manchester, Or Birmingham or whatever other case studies you did but cornwall. May be even about your fieldwork.

From what I have read from old mark schemes, I think you may get up to a limit of 4 for writing about a rural area, depending on whether they've been more strict this year
Ok, I didn't like the Stratford question with the resource. I found that I was repeating myself and I didn't structure my answer very well.

What did you say for this question (trends in additional income over time)?

I think I started off stating the conditions of Stratford (employment, income, crime rate etc.) and how it was needed to be rebranded since it was facing a spiral of decline. I then stated that the income grew throughout the 7 years as the planning of the 2012 London olympics. Derelict buildings rebuilt/destroyed, constructions of the stadium and facilities around the reigon provided jobs for the locals. An increase of tourists generates more money which contributes to the vituous cycle etc. A peak in 2012 due to the games of around £7.8 billion that year.

Legacy buildings were built (olympic stadium, westfield shopping centre). These provided an increased income for the future, projection estimates to continue to make around £2.8 billion per year, compaired to around £0.1 billion before 2005, since the facilities were build with sustainability in mind. I gave the example of the wings of the olympic stadium and that they were removed after the games, so the maintenance costs reduced. More peope are likely to visit the area and residents are more likely to stay, lower crime rate makes people feel safer etc.

I think that was most of it :smile:
Pretty sure Cornwall is not a city!

yeah, just checked that. i'm an idiot :redface: well lucky, i did el raval which i know for sure is an urban case study.
Original post by Eggfriedrice123
I didn't tick which question to do, will it still get marked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would suggest getting your school to email the exam board letting them know your question choices! to avoid the possibilities of them not marking.

Actually the question was open ended and in past tense and you could talk about something that needed rebranding and say what has happened since. (An area that needed rebranding) so better evaluations would say what happened to the area.
Original post by WurfWurf
Actually the question was open ended and in past tense and you could talk about something that needed rebranding and say what has happened since. (An area that needed rebranding) so better evaluations would say what happened to the area.

Phew! :smile:
Original post by WurfWurf

The question was not open ended. The fact that it was in past tense confirms that it was talking about the need. Most rebrands are ongoing, so the strategies are not necessarily past tense.

Look at this mark scheme attached from a very similar question in Jan 2013.
"b) Using examples, explain how environmentaland economic decline have led tothe need to rebrand urban areas.(10)"
You will see at the bottom of the mark scheme: "Do not credit how places have rebranded. The focus of the question is theneed for rebranding."

Trust, me you will not get any marks for saying how the urban area was rebranded. The question clearly stated the need to rebrand.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 18.30.04.png

The question did not ask for an evaluation, nor would you get marks for an evaluation - This is a 10 mark question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 156
I wrote about Bognor Regis for the need to rebrand and realised too late to redo it that it asked for urban!? will I get any points at all :frown:
Reply 157
For the last question I did London Docklands more specifically the Newham borough anyone else?
Reply 158
For the second coasts question since I live in Dubai and one of the coastal projects was causing a lot of conflict i just my area since i couldn't think of anything UK based so that would not be an issue.. I hope at least.
Original post by tovo242
Did anyone do Rebranding and Crowded Coasts?

How did you feel about it?

It felt hard in general, half of the questions were hard and I ran out of time
Do you think they'll push the grade boundaries up or down?

I personally think the questions were really good, especially in comparison to last years paper.
The questions were fairly straight forward so i doubt the grade boundaries will go down by much
how did you find the questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending