The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vivalasvegas2015
Status changed to interview. After a few rejections in a row this has made my day!!!

Yep mine changed too! Hurrah! Well done and good luck
Original post by CLSBPTC2015
Anyone know details of the Landmark 'afternoon assessment', through personal experience or hearsay? Hoping it means 'turn up, tackle a legal problem and let us judge you on the strength of your written legal skills.' Worried it means 'turn up, let us show off for a bit, mingle with us, tackle a legal problem and let us judge you on whether we like you or not'.

I emailed them about possibly changing the time/date and I was told the actual written assessment would take 45 mins. The rest is made up of talks by members of chambers and a short social event. Sooo I think it might be the latter!
Original post by pupilpleaser
Farrar's building interviews out by email with slots available to choose on the gateway.

My 3RB says shortlisted too...

Re Farrar's is this for 2016 or 2017?
Original post by PupilLAD
Re Farrar's is this for 2016 or 2017?

I applied for 2016 but not sure whether the gateway differentiates - it was one form for both rather than two separate listings. That said they could be doing two separate interview days?
Reply 1184
Original post by CLSBPTC2015
Anyone know details of the Landmark 'afternoon assessment', through personal experience or hearsay? Hoping it means 'turn up, tackle a legal problem and let us judge you on the strength of your written legal skills.' Worried it means 'turn up, let us show off for a bit, mingle with us, tackle a legal problem and let us judge you on whether we like you or not'.

I did it a couple of times and it's relatively enjoyable. There's a written assessment which is essentially a public or property related question and an opportunity for you to write an essay/argument. I'd recommend you answer the question rather than approach it overly academically.

The remainder is a series of presentations by current members of Chambers followed by a networking opportunity where you can ask questions of clerks and others.

They're a great set, enjoy it!
Original post by pupilpleaser
I applied for 2016 but not sure whether the gateway differentiates - it was one form for both rather than two separate listings. That said they could be doing two separate interview days?

Thanks (Y) best of luck with the interview!
Original post by iPost
I did it a couple of times and it's relatively enjoyable. There's a written assessment which is essentially a public or property related question and an opportunity for you to write an essay/argument. I'd recommend you answer the question rather than approach it overly academically.

The remainder is a series of presentations by current members of Chambers followed by a networking opportunity where you can ask questions of clerks and others.

They're a great set, enjoy it!

Thanks for your reply - that sounds pleasant and is what I was hoping for. It's going to be my first ever pupillage interview/assessment. After a disastrous round last year (no interviews but not many apps) it feels something of an achievement to receive anything but a rejection from my dream set.
Original post by Audacious_
Was the assessed opinion for the mini interview, or for the mini? I'm pre BPTC so there's unfortunately nothing to brush up!

For the interview I had 6 topics handed to me 10 mins before and the interview consisted of talking about one of the topics. I remember talking about why Ched Evans should/shouldn't be allowed to play football which was quite a hot topic at the time so maybe look at current topics
Does anybody have experience of a first round at 5kbw they could share?
Anyone else heard from Farrar's?
I've heard back from Farrar's for 2017 interviews
Essex Court have asked my referees for references. Not sure whether that's a good sign or just normal though...
Reply 1192
Means nothing I'm afraid. They ask for references for everyone and they actually asked your references directly weeks ago.
Reply 1193
My gateway apps still say applied. I applied to 3RB so I'm worried as it doesn't say shortlisted like some of you have said!
Any news from Five Paper?
Original post by pups1
My gateway apps still say applied. I applied to 3RB so I'm worried as it doesn't say shortlisted like some of you have said!

I would not worry. Some sets seem to approach this in batches and interview on different days. That was my experience with a couple anyway. If you see on here that people have gone on to second interviews then you know that you have not been successful - that is what I found last year.
Has anyone had a first round at 3RB and willing to share experience? If so please PM me.

I have Exchange, 9 St John St and 2 Hare Court I can share if anyone needs those now or in the near future
Lincoln house Pupillage offer out within ten minutes of my interview. 19th interview and finally I got it. It's a tough process
Original post by Tiny92
Lincoln house Pupillage offer out within ten minutes of my interview. 19th interview and finally I got it. It's a tough process

Congratulations!!!!! Hope you're already out celebrating. Thanks for giving us all hope! :smile:
Original post by wannabeebar
Congratulations!!!!! Hope you're already out celebrating. Thanks for giving us all hope! :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending