The Student Room Group

first class degree classifications

are they quite/really hard to acheive no matter which university you go to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawtyb
are they quite/really hard to acheive no matter which university you go to?

My sister was failing her first year and borderline second, turned it around in her third year and achieved a first. It depends how hard you work and whether or not you actually enjoy the degree, like if you hate it, chances are you will end not putting enough effort into your assignments etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Rhythmical
My sister was failing her first year and borderline second, turned it around in her third year and achieved a first. It depends how hard you work and whether or not you actually enjoy the degree, like if you hate it, chances are you will end not putting enough effort into your assignments etc.

good answer.
do first classes generally require ALOT of hard work and effort?
Original post by shawtyb
good answer.
do first classes generally require ALOT of hard work and effort?

Honestly it would depend on how well you work, some people would struggle getting from a third to a 2.2 and may work harder than someone going from a 2.1 to a first. My sister worked exceptionally hard however and she never stopped doing assignments, I expected her to get a 2.2 maybe but a first, no way. She pulled it through her dissertation however and that's what gave her the first.
Depends how bad you want it,with the right amount of work and determination,it should be possible but will probably differ depending on how much work needs to be put in for each individual HE institute
Honestly it would depend on how well you work, some people would struggle getting from a third to a 2.2 and may work harder than someone going from a 2.1 to a first. My sister worked exceptionally hard however and she never stopped doing assignments, I expected her to get a 2.2 maybe but a first, no way. She pulled it through her dissertation however and that's what gave her the first.

Consistency is always the key to success and the first year project/disso is always important to do well in
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

ah cool !
but yea i guess ur right

Original post by queen-bee
Depends how bad you want it,with the right amount of work and determination,it should be possible but will probably differ depending on how much work needs to be put in for each individual HE institute

would the difficulty between classifications change depending on universitys?
for example going from a 2:2 to a first in NTU and going from a 2:2 to a first in essex uni, would it be different in terms of difficulty
Original post by shawtyb
ah cool !
but yea i guess ur right

would the difficulty between classifications change depending on universitys?
for example going from a 2:2 to a first in NTU and going from a 2:2 to a first in essex uni, would it be different in terms of difficulty

Well I'm not exactly sure tbh but I would've thought I would've been easier to get a first in a maybe lower ranking university than it is to get a first at say a Russell group uni? I graduated from a Russell group uni,so maybe I'm just being biased but I've heard some people say the same
Reply 8
Well I'm not exactly sure tbh but I would've thought I would've been easier to get a first in a maybe lower ranking university than it is to get a first at say a Russell group uni? I graduated from a Russell group uni,so maybe I'm just being biased but I've heard some people say the same

what is that?
Original post by shawtyb
what is that?

'The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector'
Reply 10
'The Russell Group represents 24 leading UK universities which are committed to maintaining the very best research, an outstanding teaching and learning experience and unrivalled links with business and the public sector'

oooh ok cool!
what uni did u go to and is there a list of them?
Original post by shawtyb
what is that?

It means pretty much nothing to undergraduates, but "The Russell Group is a self-selected association of twenty-four public research universities".

I think it's harder to get a first at a better institution. I've seen some of the quality of 2:1 - 1sts at really low ranking universities and it's astoundingly bad.

To get a first is quite difficult, especially if your degree program doesn't have a significant numerical element to it.

The amount of people now getting firsts is crazy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12100610/Record-number-of-first-class-degrees-awarded-to-students.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by hezzlington
It means pretty much nothing to undergraduates, but "The Russell Group is a self-selected association of twenty-four public research universities".

I think it's harder to get a first at a better institution. I've seen some of the quality of 2:1 - 1sts at really low ranking universities and it's astounding.

To get a first is quite difficult, especially if your degree program doesn't have a significant numerical element to it.

ok cool thanks :smile:
is nottingham trent in the russell group?
i did try to look but it came up with the university of nottingham, not sure if there the same uni :/

is getting a first at a low ranking on still quite hard despite being low ranking?
Original post by shawtyb
i did try to look but it came up with the university of nottingham, not sure if there the same uni :/

is getting a first at a low ranking on still quite hard despite being low ranking?

The University of Nottingham is, but not Nottingham Trent. They are different.

Well the difficulty of getting a first is all relative to the individual. It's the highest degree classification, so it's the hardest one to obtain haha. It varies on so many things so I can't really give you a solid answer as there's also a component of subjectiveness.
Reply 14
The University of Nottingham is, but not Nottingham Trent. They are different.

Well the difficulty of getting a first is all relative to the individual. It's the highest degree classification, so it's the hardest one to obtain haha. It varies on so many things so I can't really give you a solid answer as there's also a component of subjectiveness.

ah ok, always got confused between the two haha
i suppose, im aiming for at least a 2:2, what did you get?
im doing mine in business management
Original post by shawtyb

I finish second year on Monday, I'm aiming for a first but a 2:1 will be more realistic.
Original post by shawtyb

Theyre two different universities. not sure if trent is a RG uni though

and i go to a relatively low ranked university(top 60) and its pretty difficult to get a first. I have only managed to get one first so far. with everything else under 67%
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
I finish second year on Monday, I'm aiming for a first but a 2:1 will be more realistic.

oooh how exciting!!! i finish my first year in 5 weeks but its an online course and iv actually been doing it a year and a half nearly
like you say, im sure u can acheive it if u really want it :smile:

Original post by Jay018
Theyre two different universities i think

and i go to a relatively low ranked university and its pretty difficult to get a first. I have only managed to get one first so far. with everything else under 67%

yh i thought so but wasnt sure.
mine is essex and its not too bad on the ranking list. which is urs?
in my assignments iv so far managed

16 merit

13 passes

2 fail (very nearly passed, a few marks off)

2 distinction

the pass criteria for each are

0-39% fail

40-59% pass

60-69% merit

70+% distinction

Original post by shawtyb

You can see how many firsts are awarded on a course on unistats: http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10004797FT-BUSI074_1/ReturnTo/Search (scroll down).

Different universities have external examiners from other universities come in to check that degree classification criteria are in line with others.

Some universities and courses are better than others at making the criteria for doing well clearer and helping students improve their work. Again you can see on unistats how many finalists think marking criteria were made clear and whether feedback on their work helped them improve. Russell Group universities are notoriously poor at this - they get away with it because they recruit students with a stronger academic background.
Reply 19
Original post by PQ
You can see how many firsts are awarded on a course on unistats: http://m.unistats.ac.uk/subjects/study/10004797FT-BUSI074_1/ReturnTo/Search (scroll down).

Different universities have external examiners from other universities come in to check that degree classification criteria are in line with others.

Some universities and courses are better than others at making the criteria for doing well clearer and helping students improve their work. Again you can see on unistats how many finalists think marking criteria were made clear and whether feedback on their work helped them improve. Russell Group universities are notoriously poor at this - they get away with it because they recruit students with a stronger academic background.

ooh ok cool thankyou!
the feedback at my uni is pretty decent :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending