The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
For 3ii, i accidently substituted a+b on the denominator instead of ab (even though i wrote ab) so got the answer as -1/k with the rest of the working correct. How many marks do you reckon ill lose? Thanks in advance
Reply 41
for the shear question is it okay to say a shear parallel to the x-axis by 3 units?
Original post by beelal
For 3ii, i accidently substituted a+b on the denominator instead of ab (even though i wrote ab) so got the answer as -1/k with the rest of the working correct. How many marks do you reckon ill lose? Thanks in advance

Probably only drop 1.
Original post by HGT98
For the method of differences (q8) I forget to half the answer in ii), so carried this through to the next part of the question iii) - but I did write answers as a single fraction. Also for finding z (q2) I used -sqrt(3) - 3i instead of a positive sqrt(3) and also carried this onto the next part of the question. How many marks would I lose over these questions as a rough estimate? Thanks!

Drop 1 mark in each case I expect.
Original post by btsx
for the shear question is it okay to say a shear parallel to the x-axis by 3 units?

Drop 1 mark.
Original post by 0704
How many marks do you think I will lose if I put root 3 +3i for question 2i and therefore got an incorrect answer for part ii as I rationalised the wrong thing?

Drop 1.
Q3i) i got wrote -1/k as -x/k and so for 3ii) got x^2/k^2
Q2ii) misread the question and thought it was + 5i instead of - 5i
will i get any marks on 2ii or 3ii?
thanks for all the help
Reply 47
For 10(iii) do you get a mark for subbing in z=(1/u^2) and getting the equation given in the question?
What actually was question 8? I thought i'd managed to do it right but clearly not haha.
Original post by 2807
For 10(iii) do you get a mark for subbing in z=(1/u^2) and getting the equation given in the question?

Yes.
Original post by lordkronos258
Q3i) i got wrote -1/k as -x/k and so for 3ii) got x^2/k^2
Q2ii) misread the question and thought it was + 5i instead of - 5i
will i get any marks on 2ii or 3ii?
thanks for all the help

Yes you'll probably lose 4 marks in total over the 2 questions.
Reply 51
Hi,

How many marks do you think I'll lose if:
For Q8ii & iii, I forgot to do the 1/2 and then the next part used the previous answer
For Q10iii, I only got the 2 solutions rather than the 4.

Also, for Q10ii, did you just have to sub in the root and then get 0 to get the mark?

And how did you do Q6iii? I did it off sight and I think I got different answers to you.

Thank you in advance!
I'm coming out with the answer (5n + 4) / (6n + 3). Can you explain how you derived the answer for 8iii
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Further Pure 1 Answers May 2016

1. n(2n+3)(n1)2\displaystyle \frac{n(2n+3)(n-1)}{2} (5 marks)

2. (i) 33i\sqrt{3}-3i (2 marks)

(ii) 1+43i49\displaystyle \frac{-1+4\sqrt{3} i}{49} (5 marks)

3. (i) α+β=1k\displaystyle \alpha + \beta = -\frac{1}{k} and αβ=1\displaystyle \alpha \beta = 1 (1 mark)

(ii) 1k2\displaystyle \frac{1}{k^2} (5 marks)

4. (i) (5a3b100)\begin{pmatrix} 5a-3b & 10 & 0 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(ii) (6b5)\begin{pmatrix} 6b-5 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

(iii) (6a12184a812a23)\begin{pmatrix} 6a & 12 & 18 \\4a & 8 & 12 \\-a & -2 & -3 \end{pmatrix} (2 marks)

5. Proof (4 marks)

6. (i) z33i=5\displaystyle |z-3-3i|=\sqrt 5 (4 marks)

(ii) Sketch (2 marks)

(iii) 2+5i2+5i and 4+i4+i (3 marks)

7. (i) Shear with x axis invariant taking the point (0, 1) to (3, 1) (2 marks)

(ii) (0110)\begin{pmatrix} 0 & -1 \\-1 & 0 \\ \end{pmatrix}

Reflection in the line y=xy=-x (6 marks)

8. (i) Show (1 mark)

(ii) n3(2n+3)\displaystyle \frac{n}{3(2n+3)} (6 marks)

(iii) 12(2n+1)\displaystyle \frac{1}{2(2n+1)} (3 marks)

9. (i) Show (3 marks)

(ii) Determinant = 0 when a = 3 so no unique solution. The equations are consistent because 3 x equation 3 - equation 1 = equation 2. (3 marks)

10. (i) 5+4i5+4i and 54i-5-4i (6 marks)

(ii) Show (1 mark)

(iii) ±541±4i41\displaystyle \pm \frac{5}{41} \pm \frac{4i}{41} (4 marks)

How many marks do you think you'd lose for having a 8ii of twice the correct answer (forgot to divide by 2 at the end) and then using that incorrect answer in 8iii (though my 8iii would have been correct had 8ii been correct)
Original post by Nl1998
Hi,

How many marks do you think I'll lose if:
For Q8ii & iii, I forgot to do the 1/2 and then the next part used the previous answer
For Q10iii, I only got the 2 solutions rather than the 4.

Also, for Q10ii, did you just have to sub in the root and then get 0 to get the mark?

And how did you do Q6iii? I did it off sight and I think I got different answers to you.

Thank you in advance!

8ii and iii. Drop 1 I expect.

10iii. Drop 1.

10ii. That's right.

6iii. I cheated and used a computer.
Original post by jjjjjjjjjjjj96
I'm coming out with the answer (5n + 4) / (6n + 3). Can you explain how you derived the answer for 8iii

r=n=r=1r=1n1\displaystyle \sum_{r=n}^\infty = \sum_{r=1}^\infty - \sum_{r=1}^{n-1}
Would you be able to put question 8 on here because I would like to try it again?
Also for 10 iii what did you do after subbing z=1/u^2 into the equation
Original post by Mr M
r=n=r=1r=1n1\displaystyle \sum_{r=n}^\infty = \sum_{r=1}^\infty - \sum_{r=1}^{n-1}

Please can you show how you got your answer?
what was the final result you had to get for the proof by induction??
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi sir, i hope you could answer a few questions of mine:
For 6ii i drew the correct circle but somehow got the line 'l' wrong and drew the perpendicular bisector of the origin and the centre of the circle
And then for 6iii i worked out the intersection points by looking at them and checking they were root 5 form the circles centre, but i did this according to the diagram i drew woud i get ecf marks?
Finally for the last part of the last question, i figured out every root in a unsimplied form eg. 1/(5+4i) but then wrote eg 1/5+1i/4 and split up the fraction for every root which was stupid, how many marks do you think i will get out of 4?
Id appreciate your help Mr M :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending