The Student Room Group

is it a stereotype all asians do medicine?

my friend said to me that most Asians only see medicine or dentistry as a credible field. i personally believe its only the older generation that still maintain this ideology. what do you all think?

Scroll to see replies

It is a stereotype.

A lot of Muslims like to do medicine though, because they think they'll get rewarded in the afterlife if they save a human's life.
Original post by rehmanator
my friend said to me that most Asians only see medicine or dentistry as a credible field. i personally believe its only the older generation that still maintain this ideology. what do you all think?

That's called racism
your friends is racist
pls ask your friend to show strong evidence which supports this

i wanna do maths
Reply 3
Are all doctors asian?
No.
That's like saying that most black people take drugs

I'm asian and I think that any degree, as long as someone enjoys the field is credible, but I agree with you in the terms that it is a mindset I've seen older generations have...
Reply 6
Original post by thefatone
That's called racism
your friends is racist
pls ask your friend to show strong evidence which supports this

i wanna do maths

haha i wouldnt say racist but rather very stereotypical, i must admit however everyone in my family are doctors and wouldn't ever see their kids doing anything else.
Reply 7
A lot of them do but most of them just happen to really be interested in the subject- the ones that actually manage to get into a course are the ones who aren't motivated because of the cultural expectations. And there are many Asians who do not pursue medicine or dentistry- some go into other courses like computer science or accounting etc...
mRNA
Reply 9
Original post by cookiemonster15
I'm asian and I think that any degree, as long as someone enjoys the field is credible, but I agree with you in the terms that it is a mindset I've seen older generations have...

absolutely if you were to say im studying a history degree its almost suddenly deemed inferior, sad really
Yes Asians can only do Medicine, Law, Business Studies or Engineering, otherwise you're automatically a dishonour to the family. Just kidding :biggrin: they can do whatever they want, its just some Asians parents prefer that they do something along those lines and if that's not the case, its a credible path that pays well in the future so why not?

P.S- I'm not racist, I'm also Asian
I'm Asian and i'm not doing Medicine, I've got an offer for Dentistry
I think any sentence that says all/most of this race/group of people are something
No it isn't, all Asians are doctors. That's why they don't have electricity in Asia, doctors are **** at building electric circuits.
It definitely is. :facepalm:
Reply 15
I think people just assume this because of the good old asian 'helicopter parent' stereotype.
Original post by yoda123

The Kardashians of the medical field. You must be ashamed of yourself.
absolutely if you were to say im studying a history degree its almost suddenly deemed inferior, sad really

Tbh, I never understand when people think this way, something like history is a really good degree to have, it's a bit annoying when people look down on you for a choice that you have made that they deem inferior.
It's racist to assume Asians do medicine

Some of them do dentistry
Reply 19
Original post by yoda123

You must be the shame of the family.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending