The Student Room Group

do they take off marks for spelling mistakes in AS History

ok so, i had my history AS exam today on the stuarts + used a computer, unfortunately it was only when i was printing it out that i realised.... *drumroll*... the many typos i'd made... :frown:
i mean i checked through what i wrote beforehand? so there weren't TOO many?i hope?

(i wrote like a maniac and finished both questions well ahead of time luckily... but typos like an extra e in proposed wouldnt take off marks, right?)

(god i'm paranoid AAAARGHHH I WANT TO SCREAM?? I DON'T THINK I WROTE ENOUGH... IS 2,000 and something WORDS ENOUGH FOR BOTH QUESTIONS? not each but for overall? DID ANYONE ELSE DO THIS EXAM? OH GOD)

anyway, as you can see im quite a bit paranoid orz replies would be appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well I didn't type it I wrote it but overall I wrote 5 3/4 pages which I reckon is about 2000 words I am sure it is enough! I messed up the exam so much though! I am so annoyed!
Well if you do lose marks it will just be a few marks lost, dont stress too much there isnt much that you can do
Reply 3
Original post by Anna1909
Well I didn't type it I wrote it but overall I wrote 5 3/4 pages which I reckon is about 2000 words I am sure it is enough! I messed up the exam so much though! I am so annoyed!

wow!! holy crap that sounds like a LOT of pages, really puts it into scale ... very reassuring, thank you ; w ;; (i bet your hand hurt afterwards, jesus)
im sorry you did poorly in ur exam, tho i guarantee you did better than you think you did!
Reply 4
Original post by SuperHuman98
Well if you do lose marks it will just be a few marks lost, dont stress too much there isnt much that you can do

b-but... but the marks...:frown: i get it's pointless to stress now, but i cant help it! time to agonise over how i couldve done the exam better until august...
Reply 5
Haha actually I usually write more 😂 I just messed up the essay question 😁 I chose the religion one btw!
If you read the mark scheme properly, then you will know.
Reply 7
Original post by Anna1909
Haha actually I usually write more 😂 I just messed up the essay question 😁 I chose the religion one btw!

oh i chose the religion one too! im so glad they picked the one topic i knew honestly, if itd been something like the first civil war i think id have gotten a U

the finance was a little harder tho, thats the one im afraid i didnt write enough for since i honestly could not think of anything else to write about... :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
If you read the mark scheme properly, then you will know.

i mean... you're right... and i could... but honestly at this point i never want to look at my history folder again so thats a no :tongue:
Reply 9
Did you do AQA?
Original post by nomnomnomm
i mean... you're right... and i could... but honestly at this point i never want to look at my history folder again so thats a no :tongue:

You cnat really be that bothered then. Get on with revising other things.
Reply 11
Original post by spidle
Did you do AQA?

yes! AQA, 7041DH
Reply 12
yes! AQA, 7041DH

Nice I do AQA 7041DJ, I picked the 2nd question about Charles losing his trust between 1628-1648.
Reply 13
Original post by spidle
Nice I do AQA 7041DJ, I picked the 2nd question about Charles losing his trust between 1628-1648.

the really hard one? i had no idea how to answer that so i just picked the religion one and rambled on about charles and arminianism and catholic conspiracies etc etc...
(how did it go? also, what did you put for james and finance?)
Reply 14
the really hard one? i had no idea how to answer that so i just picked the religion one and rambled on about charles and arminianism and catholic conspiracies etc etc...
(how did it go? also, what did you put for james and finance?)

It went alright I think, I just talked about his religious policies, personal rule, his actions during the civil war and how this all lost trust with Parliament.

For James and finance I rambled on haha, I was just putting examples in like his extravagance and how his income was weakening- I also referred to Elizabeth (our teacher told us we could compare James and Elizabeth, even though she's not in the spec) and how there was already a weak financial system from before James was king. In the conclusion I went with extract A.
Reply 15
Original post by spidle
It went alright I think, I just talked about his religious policies, personal rule, his actions during the civil war and how this all lost trust with Parliament.

For James and finance I rambled on haha, I was just putting examples in like his extravagance and how his income was weakening- I also referred to Elizabeth (our teacher told us we could compare James and Elizabeth, even though she's not in the spec) and how there was already a weak financial system from before James was king. In the conclusion I went with extract A.

OH THANK GOD THATS WHAT I WROTE TOO, I'M SAVED

no but it's really uncanny? i'm like 90% sure i chose extract A as well, i'm so glad i wrote the right thing (unless we both failed lol)

oh! one more question! how much about james' financial policies did you write about? i wrote something about the great contract and how he rented out Crown lands at a fixed rent which wasnt up to date with inflation etc etc as a way of supporting... i cant remember which extract it was but im fairly sure it was relevant? or did we not have to write about that?
Reply 16
OH THANK GOD THATS WHAT I WROTE TOO, I'M SAVED

no but it's really uncanny? i'm like 90% sure i chose extract A as well, i'm so glad i wrote the right thing (unless we both failed lol)

oh! one more question! how much about james' financial policies did you write about? i wrote something about the great contract and how he rented out Crown lands at a fixed rent which wasnt up to date with inflation etc etc as a way of supporting... i cant remember which extract it was but im fairly sure it was relevant? or did we not have to write about that?

Good to hear we wrote the same thing lol, I haven't seen many people do Stuart Britain, everyone else does like Tudors or Cold war.
I don't really remember what I wrote exactly but I also wrote about the Great Contract and how it expected James to cut his spending down, but he didn't so it fell through. I also wrote about his use of prerogative taxation such as wardships and tonnage & poundage.

What other history topic are you doing? I'm doing American Civil War next Wednesday.
Reply 17
Original post by spidle
Good to hear we wrote the same thing lol, I haven't seen many people do Stuart Britain, everyone else does like Tudors or Cold war.
I don't really remember what I wrote exactly but I also wrote about the Great Contract and how it expected James to cut his spending down, but he didn't so it fell through. I also wrote about his use of prerogative taxation such as wardships and tonnage & poundage.

What other history topic are you doing? I'm doing American Civil War next Wednesday.

oh noo, i said nothing about either wardships or tonnage & poundage... ; w ;;.. well there goes my A
wasnt tonnage & poundage more to do with charles tho? or am i just being silly? idk
i'm doing the french revolution! i'm having it on wednesday as well, it's my worst topic so im panicking oh so slightly :s-smilie: american civil war sounds really interesting, but nah my school's only ever done european history for some reason so in all my years of doing history i've only ever done something like russia... germany... britain of course... etc etc
how do you think youll do in the exam? any tips for revising history? definitely the hardest subject to revise imo since theres like so much to learn
Reply 18
oh noo, i said nothing about either wardships or tonnage & poundage... ; w ;;.. well there goes my A
wasnt tonnage & poundage more to do with charles tho? or am i just being silly? idk
i'm doing the french revolution! i'm having it on wednesday as well, it's my worst topic so im panicking oh so slightly :s-smilie: american civil war sounds really interesting, but nah my school's only ever done european history for some reason so in all my years of doing history i've only ever done something like russia... germany... britain of course... etc etc
how do you think youll do in the exam? any tips for revising history? definitely the hardest subject to revise imo since theres like so much to learn

I'm hoping I do well :frown:. The topic is only 20 years for AS so it's shorter than other topics meaning less to learn. The only tips I recommend are to make a timeline of events that happened and learn certain important ones which you can write a lot about. Also learn the structure for source questions; message, tone, provenance, limitations.
My folder for Stuart Britain is massive but my folder for America is so small lol.
oh i chose the religion one too! im so glad they picked the one topic i knew honestly, if itd been something like the first civil war i think id have gotten a U

the finance was a little harder tho, thats the one im afraid i didnt write enough for since i honestly could not think of anything else to write about... :s-smilie:

I thought the source question was really nice 😂 I only wrote two and a half sides on the essay though which isn't enough but hopefully my source question might bring it up to a B! I wrote all about patronage and extravagance and ante suppers and Elizabeth's reign and the great contract and cranfields reforms! Think I have done ok on that one! Phew!

Quick Reply

Latest