The Student Room Group

Has anybody here read Journey's End by RC Sheriff and can provide some help?

For my English Literature exam my text is based on this play and i am wondering if anybody has read this play and can help me with some past questions.
Original post by ibte10
For my English Literature exam my text is based on this play and i am wondering if anybody has read this play and can help me with some past questions.

I studied this at A-level for coursework.

What do you need with?
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey

What do you need with?

Well I am going to take the AQA English IGCSE English Literature exam and was wondering if anybody had any exemplar answers for a top band answer for the past paper questions. I have not done them but I am wondering if you have any advice on answering these questions. The past paper questions can be found when you type AQA IGCSE English Literature past papers.
Original post by ibte10
Well I am going to take the AQA English IGCSE English Literature exam and was wondering if anybody had any exemplar answers for a top band answer for the past paper questions. I have not done them but I am wondering if you have any advice on answering these questions. The past paper questions can be found when you type AQA IGCSE English Literature past papers.

Basically for each question, try to include points relating to:
-Language
-Structure
-Themes associated with the excerpt such as heroism, fear, death etc
-Context / Question points which look at the play as a whole

These are what my English teacher has told me to focus on and it has been a great help when answering questions!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey

What do you need with?

Do you have any advice / notes for analysing structural techniques in the play?
Reply 5
Original post by 11LOrmston
Basically for each question, try to include points relating to:
-Language
-Structure
-Themes associated with the excerpt such as heroism, fear, death etc
-Context / Question points which look at the play as a whole

These are what my English teacher has told me to focus on and it has been a great help when answering questions!

Any examples of this when referring to a past question?
Original post by ibte10
Any examples of this when referring to a past question?

How are ideas about social class presented in Journey’s End?
(From June 2015)

How I would answer it:

-I'd talk about Raleigh's enthusiasm & Sherriff's use of juxtapositions to show class. Also I'd refer to the irony of his enthusiasm on his arrival & contrast when he gets shot. (Language)

-Trotter's comedic side when he is turning the box over on the first meal. Use of visual or 'slapstick' comedy in the stage directions. Social class of him from a lower class and being (possibly) less intelectual than the others. Something to that effect anyway. (Structure)

-When Osborne is reading Alice's Adventures, social class portrayed through book and uses theme of domestic / escapism that the officers were no different to the men in terms of fear and wanting to be at home. (Theme)

-I'd also talk about order and the officers being of a higher class and they were also of a higher division (also from public schools). Evidence from Raleigh's arrival when he and Osborne talk about their rugger.

-Could also mention in the conclusion that the men are of a higher class than soldiers but still have the same emotions to the soldiers. (Or something relating back to the question)

Here's a great example of an essay about JE & the Horrors of War which may be good to revise from: http://www.essayjudge.com/document_detail.php?doc_id=980

Hope this helps!
Reply 7
(From June 2015)

How I would answer it:

-I'd talk about Raleigh's enthusiasm & Sherriff's use of juxtapositions to show class. Also I'd refer to the irony of his enthusiasm on his arrival & contrast when he gets shot. (Language)

-Trotter's comedic side when he is turning the box over on the first meal. Use of visual or 'slapstick' comedy in the stage directions. Social class of him from a lower class and being (possibly) less intelectual than the others. Something to that effect anyway. (Structure)

-When Osborne is reading Alice's Adventures, social class portrayed through book and uses theme of domestic / escapism that the officers were no different to the men in terms of fear and wanting to be at home. (Theme)

-I'd also talk about order and the officers being of a higher class and they were also of a higher division (also from public schools). Evidence from Raleigh's arrival when he and Osborne talk about their rugger.

-Could also mention in the conclusion that the men are of a higher class than soldiers but still have the same emotions to the soldiers. (Or something relating back to the question)

Here's a great example of an essay about JE & the Horrors of War which may be good to revise from: http://www.essayjudge.com/document_detail.php?doc_id=980

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot!
Reply 8
(From June 2015)

How I would answer it:

Hope this helps!

BTW, are you doing this exam?
Original post by ibte10
BTW, are you doing this exam?

Yes, I think I'll be okay on the unseen poetry however I need to do a bit more work on analysing aspects of JE for Monday. How are you feeling about the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending