The Student Room Group

How many hours a week do you work during summer?

How many hours do you work during summer? Do you work more than during term time?
I'm applying to Asda and Debenhams and can't decide between applying for 8hours or 20 hours so thought I'd see how much everyone else is doing!
Original post by Zango11
How many hours do you work during summer? Do you work more than during term time?
I'm applying to Asda and Debenhams and can't decide between applying for 8hours or 20 hours so thought I'd see how much everyone else is doing!

Uhm, I'm planning to work 35 hours a week during the summer. However, this is mainly because I have to save up for university in September, because my parents are stingy :biggrin:.

20 hours would be fine, or you could try 8 hours and do overtime.
Reply 2
Original post by Zango11

I guess it depends whether or not you'll be working there during term time. If you will be, then you will probably be best to choose the 8 hour contract and do overtime since it may be difficult to reduce from 20 hours after the summer. If it's only for the summer, then go for the 20 hours if you want the money and you know you'll be happy to work those hours.
(edited 7 years ago)
...I'm gonna be working 60 hour weeks during summer.. I need the money =L
Reply 4
During my summer holidays I was working 8 - 14 hours a day for 5 - 7 days a week. Basically as much as I could.
Original post by Reue
During my summer holidays I was working 8 - 14 hours a day for 5 - 7 days a week. Basically as much as I could.

Where did you work?
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Where did you work?

I was a lifeguard
Original post by Reue
I was a lifeguard

Sounds interesting.
Correct me if im wrong, but being a lifeguard pays decent doesnt it?
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
Sounds interesting.
Correct me if im wrong, but being a lifeguard pays decent doesnt it?

It did at the time. Was the equivalent of about £10 an hour.
Original post by Zango11

When I was at uni I worked full time 5 days a week, sometimes 6. I worked in a Call Centre through a temp agency and there were quite a lot of uni students who worked from 7am - 8pm shifts! Because work experience counts.
I would say 16-20 hours is the average that a university student works during the summer if they've already got a job. That is because you're unlikely to suddenly be able to get loads and loads of hours just because you've finished uni, as stores have hours assigned to other people. Most common reasons for extra hours are other uni students going home for summer or offering to do other peoples shifts.

I've just applied for a part time job and I'll be doing 12-16 hours a week (sometimes 20 if there is overtime) in a retail store. You should do the 20 hours one as summer is a really great opportunity to earn money that makes all the difference once term time rolls around. :smile:
Original post by Zango11

I'm currently applying for a job since I'm going back home in a few weeks. Last year I worked from June-September approximately 25-30hours a week.
My contract was 20 hours but there was plenty of over time:smile:
I don't work during term time. If you really need the money & don't have many commitments this summer then I'd go for 20 but if you just need something on the side I'd go for 8. There is always plenty of overtime in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
How manny months should summer job takes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending