The Student Room Group

Geography OCR AS 2016

Scroll to see replies

Did anyone do the 25 marker on how urban change can lead to the creation of derelict land?
Reply 101
Original post by Mrnicecarl
Did anyone do the 25 marker on how urban change can lead to the creation of derelict land?

Yeah I did that one, what did you write about? I was so unsure!
Original post by cxxk
Yeah I did that one, what did you write about? I was so unsure!

I just said about economic decline in so many places e.g. Birmingham and Detroit. I was so shaky on that question because it was worded so weirdly.
Wow, am I the only one thinking that i will need to retake both papers. Well then..... Im pissed :colondollar:
This is a strange question but I was wondering if anyone else who did the rural structured q's could help?
You know the question on describing the poverty index (4 marker) did it require us to use just the coloured map or the one with all the place names as well? I rushed that question...
Original post by Mrnicecarl
I just said about economic decline in so many places e.g. Birmingham and Detroit. I was so shaky on that question because it was worded so weirdly.

I talked about the London docklands as it went into decline from competition from abroad etc.. and talked about regeneration there as well but I think I did the wrong thing...
Did anyone do the tourism essay? I was pretty shakes on it as my case studies say very little about solely the economic development. My points were an increase in foreign income, jobs, development of soft and hard infrastructure and improved education so higher paid jobs.
What were others thoughts on this question?
Original post by Karina.shah123
Yup, I did the energy essay! was way better than the tourism question imo. I did one paragraph on employment opportunities improving economy and community development. Then another on better infrastructure and the last on a clean, secure energy supply.

Yeah I thought it was better than tourism,- mostly because I don't like the case studies I learnt that linked to the question. I wrote about norway and how it attracts more industry and their petroleum fund and basically all the thing from that (jobs=money=better housing/schools/health care) and about how it makes places more accessible (easier to get jobs etc) and I also talked about Mali and how the solar panels provide jobs to locals (and the further socioeconomic opps from that) and how exploitation of energy allows for the electrification of schools and health centers and how that creates more socioeconomic opps (better health=no time from work= more money etc and how schools= higher paying jobs= etc). Basically rambled on for 3 pages about how one socioeconomic opp created by energy exploitation can lead to many more for people.
I'm late to the party, but that paper was beautiful :biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by rupert33
This is a strange question but I was wondering if anyone else who did the rural structured q's could help?
You know the question on describing the poverty index (4 marker) did it require us to use just the coloured map or the one with all the place names as well? I rushed that question...

I did the urban question which had a similar map, you were meant to use both in order to refer to specific areas in the first 4 marker :smile:
Original post by penguindrum
I'm late to the party, but that paper was beautiful :biggrin::biggrin:

I did the urban question which had a similar map, you were meant to use both in order to refer to specific areas in the first 4 marker :smile:

Oh well the coloured map was for rural poverty...so I don't think it has to do with the urban question you did.
Oh well the coloured map was for rural poverty...so I don't think it has to do with the urban question you did.

The urban one was a map of urban poverty, so they'd be looking for the same sort of thing :smile: stating specific provinces and their levels of poverty in order to back up statements about patterns :tongue: generally to get the full 4 marks you have to quote the data at least twice.
Original post by penguindrum
The urban one was a map of urban poverty, so they'd be looking for the same sort of thing :smile: stating specific provinces and their levels of poverty in order to back up statements about patterns :tongue: generally to get the full 4 marks you have to quote the data at least twice.

Oh no!! I spent so long on the essay that I did the first 4/6 mark describe and explain on rural so quickly that I didn't notice the second map of provinces was for that question...so only said for e.g. in the east of China its lower etc and quoted figures! Oh well I hope I get some marks..
Oh no!! I spent so long on the essay that I did the first 4/6 mark describe and explain on rural so quickly that I didn't notice the second map of provinces was for that question...so only said for e.g. in the east of China its lower etc and quoted figures! Oh well I hope I get some marks..

Don't worry, you'll definitely still get marks for stating general patterns! :smile:

Quick Reply