Scroll to see replies

Original post by vinidor
predictions for grade boundaries?

48/70 a
44/70 b
40/70 c
37/70 d
Original post by Ankit.B
For the last question I did London Docklands more specifically the Newham borough anyone else?

I considered it, but went with Liverpool in the End.
Original post by harryleavey
The question was not open ended. The fact that it was in past tense confirms that it was talking about the need. Most rebrands are ongoing, so the strategies are not necessarily past tense.

Look at this mark scheme attached from a very similar question in Jan 2013.
"b) Using examples, explain how environmentaland economic decline have led tothe need to rebrand urban areas.(10)"
You will see at the bottom of the mark scheme: "Do not credit how places have rebranded. The focus of the question is theneed for rebranding."

Trust, me you will not get any marks for saying how the urban area was rebranded. The question clearly stated the need to rebrand.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 18.30.04.png

The question did not ask for an evaluation, nor would you get marks for an evaluation - This is a 10 mark question.

That is no way near a similar question. It was asking for a specific place that needed re branding. Obviously the focus of the question was a place that needs rebranding, but you can be more extensive with your answer not "limiting" yourself from getting top bands. No point trying to scare people with mark schemes that are in no way related.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by WurfWurf
That is no way near a similar question. It was asking for a specific place that needed re branding. Obviously the focus of the question was a place that needs rebranding, but the you can be more extensive with your answer not "limiting" yourself from getting top bands. No point trying to scare people with mark schemes that are in no way related.

The question stated the need to rebrand. Yet you wrote about the strategies. That is not going to get you top marks.

I am not trying to scare people. I am being realistic, and suggesting based upon past papers. Which is more than your uneducated guess about unrelated questions.

That question is virtually the same as what was asked. The only difference being the number of example case studies requested, and that the past paper specified environmental and economic. Ask your teacher.

If I was a betting guy, I would be willing to bet that the mark scheme states 'Do not accept strategies'. I will message you again when the papers go public next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
The question stated the need to rebrand. Yet you wrote about the strategies. That is not going to get you top marks.

I am not trying to scare people. I am being realistic, and suggesting based upon past papers.

That question is virtually the same as what was asked. The only difference being the number of example case studies requested, and that the past paper specified environmental and economic. Ask your teacher.

I didn't write strategies. You were trying to scare someone else who had wrote about an area that needed rebranding and they included strategies aswell. That is still an area that needed rebranding, so they will still get marks and in my opininion have been more descriptive in their response as they have then gone onto say how the area that needed rebranding was rebranded.
I didn't write strategies. You were trying to scare someone else who had wrote about an area that needed rebranding and they included strategies aswell. That is still an area that needed rebranding, so they will still get marks and in my opininion have been more descriptive in their response as they have then gone onto say how the area that needed rebranding was rebranded.

I had no intentions of scaring anyone. Apologies to the other guy if he was - I didn't get that impression.

I did not say they would not get marks.

My point is that the question did not ask for strategies, so marks will not be awarded for that. Look over all of the past examiner reports - You will see how marks are allocated. They are certainly not allocated for addressing other questions.

I do believe that marks will, however be awarded for addressing the 'need'. Which I think the other student did.

I will look forward to messaging you next year to see who was right.
I had no intentions of scaring anyone. Apologies to the other guy if he was - I didn't get that impression.

I did not say they would not get marks.

My point is that the question did not ask for strategies, so marks will not be awarded for that. Look over all of the past examiner reports - You will see how marks are allocated. They are certainly not allocated for addressing other questions.

I do believe that marks will, however be awarded for addressing the 'need'. Which I think the other student did.

I will look forward to messaging you next year to see who was right.

I really don't care that much, and I hope you dont care that much you are going to go write on your calendar to message me. Geography is all about bringing other ideas together and my point was that it was fine for him/her to extend like that, even if its not the exact focus of the question was fine.
(edited 7 years ago)
I really don't care that much, and I hope you dont care that much you are going to go write on your calendar to message me. Geography is all about bringing other ideas together and my point was that him/her was fine for him to extend like that, even if its not the exact focus of the question was fine.

You clearly do not understand the demands of the edexcel paper.
Ask your teacher when you go back.
You clearly do not understand the demands of the edexcel paper.
Ask your teacher when you go back.

I understand it just fine. You obviously havn't read the examiners guide etc... You probably just feel insecure about about how you did so are trying to scare monger people to feel better about your own response. No point doing that, just comes across as a dick, sorry. :redface:
Reply 169
I went for Manchester talking about the textile industry declining, I'm not sure if that would have been a strong enough case study reflecting on it now??? 😕
i went for Stratford but then is that a Stratford overload due to the previous questions?
I understand it just fine. You obviously havn't read the examiners guide etc... You probably just feel insecure about about how you did so are trying to scare monger people to feel better about your own response. No point doing that, just comes across as a dick, sorry. :redface:

I have literally read all of the examiner reports (not guides) :wink:

Take a look at some of them:
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 20.19.42.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Sit down kid.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have literally read all of the examiner reports (not guides) :wink:

Take a look at some of them:
Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 20.19.42.png
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

I still don't get your point. This exam is positively marked, as my teacher said. If you dont answer the focus obviously you are wrong, however answering the focus and adding wider links is good. Plus i was talking about the guide made by cameron dunn and sue warn (chief and ex chief examiner), who have stated that having geographical terminology, examples and wider links helps to reach the top band. Don't get mad because you got mugged off and considering you're probably the same age as me you're not in the position to call someone a kid. Sounds like you play to much COD :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
I still don't get your point. This exam is positively marked, as my teacher said. If you dont answer the focus obviously you are wrong, however answering the focus and adding wider links is good. Plus i was talking about the guide made by cameron dunn and sue warn (chief and ex chief examiner), who have stated that having geographical terminology, examples and wider links helps to reach the top band. :h:

You are exactly correct. Geographical terminology, links to current affairs, examples are what is required to reach the higher bands.

However answering about strategies, when the question requests 'need' is not a wider link. It is straying away from the question set. Look at those exam reports.

Please do yourself a favour and ask your teacher when you next see them.

FYI: those examiners are no longer working as examiners. Not that it makes a difference - you just might want to brush up on your wider examiner knowledge
(edited 7 years ago)
I still don't get your point. This exam is positively marked, as my teacher said. If you dont answer the focus obviously you are wrong, however answering the focus and adding wider links is good. Plus i was talking about the guide made by cameron dunn and sue warn (chief and ex chief examiner), who have stated that having geographical terminology, examples and wider links helps to reach the top band. Don't get mad because you got mugged off and considering you're probably the same age as me you're not in the position to call someone a kid. Sounds like you play to much COD :h:

I prefer GTA when I have the time. Although I would take reading 15 examiner reports over GTA any day. Anything to get those top marks! :tongue:
I prefer GTA when I have the time. Although I would take reading 15 examiner reports over GTA any day. Anything to get those top marks! :tongue:

Agreed. Enjoy your GTA, but be careful as shouting "sit down kid" might cause a bad throat :tongue:
but be careful as shouting "sit down kid" might cause a bad throat :tongue:

What the hell is that meant to mean?
What the hell is that meant to mean?

Its just taken from when you said "sit down kid" earlier. Its the kind of thing you say online down the mic aha. :biggrin:
Original post by Ankit.B
For the last question I did London Docklands more specifically the Newham borough anyone else?

I did the London Docklands too :smile:
Its just taken from when you said "sit down kid" earlier. Its the kind of thing you say online down the mic aha. :biggrin:

Shows how little I play games then doesn't it.

Suggests you are a COD-kinda-guy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending