The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I would, but I studied Lord of the Flies and To Kill a Mockingbird. I can help you with general literature though, like how to go about answering the questions.

Could you help me with TKAM, I don't think I can fully explain points or develop and I really want to achieve an A
Original post by rihana.c
Could you help me with TKAM, I don't think I can fully explain points or develop and I really want to achieve an A

I sure can try, I'm less confident on TKAM than I am LOTF but I can give it a shot. Anything in particular you're stuck on? A character? The questions themselves? Themes? Context?
Reply 382
I sure can try, I'm less confident on TKAM than I am LOTF but I can give it a shot. Anything in particular you're stuck on? A character? The questions themselves? Themes? Context?

Could you help on how to start paragraphs and introductions and how Harper Lee uses different characters to present something on a wider scale
I also find it difficult writing like 3 paragraphs on the same character/topic
Original post by rihana.c
Could you help on how to start paragraphs and introductions and how Harper Lee uses different characters to present something on a wider scale
I also find it difficult writing like 3 paragraphs on the same character/topic

For part a), I generally structure something like this. "In the extract, Lee presents Atticus to be a good moral teacher. This is shown by -using a quote as evidence.- Then I'd zoom into the quote and pick it apart in more detail. Then I'd relate it back to the question.

When possible, examiners love it when you can offer an alternative interpretation, or a counter point. Like 'however, this quote could also mean -something rather different.-

I'm currently about to do a maths past paper but I could have a go at doing a past paper question to show you what I mean better?
Reply 384
For part a), I generally structure something like this. "In the extract, Lee presents Atticus to be a good moral teacher. This is shown by -using a quote as evidence.- Then I'd zoom into the quote and pick it apart in more detail. Then I'd relate it back to the question.

When possible, examiners love it when you can offer an alternative interpretation, or a counter point. Like 'however, this quote could also mean -something rather different.-

I'm currently about to do a maths past paper but I could have a go at doing a past paper question to show you what I mean better?

Thanks! That would be so great if you could, you can do your maths paper first and do this later tho, I really don't mind. Thanks very much.btw i love your profile pic
I did last year's mock and got 65/68 so could post part of one of my TKAM paragraphs if it would help?
Reply 386
Original post by KomradeKorbyn
Anyone else doing DNA by Dennis Kelly?

ME!!
Yes please any help is appreciated😃
Reply 388
Original post by emmald583
I did last year's mock and got 65/68 so could post part of one of my TKAM paragraphs if it would help?

Yes please, that would help so much thank you!!
Ok, this is my Section B Part A for the June 2015 paper on TKAM (this essay got 29/30):

"Atticus is portrayed as a moral character in this passage. He tells Scout that it is a "sin to kill a mockingbird". A "mockingbird" symbolises innocence in the passage, as mockingbirds sing all day and don't harm anyone. Mockingbirds, as a type of bird, could be viewed as inferior to humans, yet Atticus instructs his children not to shoot them, reflecting his moral conscience as even though Jem and Scout have the power to kill them, he teaches that it is wrong to kill something innocent. The fact that Atticus says he would rather they didn't shoot at birds, and indeed refused to teach the children to shoot at all, reflects his aversion to violence and his preference for finding peaceful ways to solve conflict. Lee's use of the word "sin" to show Atticus' views on killing mockingbirds is important because we hear that he never called anything a sin before. It reflects how he thinks the worst thing a person can do is to harm someone innocent, that is not as fortunate as you, and once again conveys his morality - he thinks it is important to treat everyone equally and not take advantage of people's innocence or lower social standing, beliefs that set him apart from other characters in the novel.

The fact that Scout describes him as "feeble" also informs the reader about her attitudes. She thinks that because he is nearly 50, and a lawyer, he "didn't do anything". This reflects that Scout thinks people who are more physically capable are more important and impressive people. However, this is not the case - as shown by Atticus' moral character, the reader understands that even though Scout thinks he doesn't do anything admirable, he is playing an important part in the Civil Rights movement, reflecting her naivety. In addition, this extract may reflect Scout's need for approval of the others at her school: she says that she wishes he would remain "inconspicuous". This shows that she would rather her family stayed out of the limelight and went along with Maycomb's views that do something that drew attention to her in an arguably negative way. Irony is created here by the two layers of narration - the older, retrospective Scout clearly does not still think this, but conveys these ideas through the younger, naive narrator, to reflect the effect that Maycomb Society's prejudice has had on Scout, and what it therefore changed about her attitudes."

Hopefully this is helpful! There's probably a lot of points that I didn't include, but that was what I came up with in a mock in exam conditions. Remember to always try to talk about Scout's narration, as you can make a really sophisticated point if you mention the dual narrative voice (old Scout and young Scout). Good luck for Monday - if you need anything else let me know :smile:
This is very helpful!! Any tips for answering part B would be appreciated as its the part I find hardest to answer
Context, context, context! You need to use your knowledge of the novel's background to support a point - a good bet is using something like the Scottsboro Trial, or the Jim Crow laws to support how Lee wanted to write something which people could relate to. You could also say that Maycomb is modelled on Monroeville (where Harper Lee grew up).

Also, try to use points that range around the text to show the examiner that you've read it all. Analysis points are similar to part a; make sure you get a lot of detail about a small quote wherever possible.

I would try not to get too frustrated if your part As are better than your Bs - although it's good to make them both really great, remember that your Section B is marked overall out of 30 and it's not 15 for each part - a really good part a will make up for a not so great part b.
Original post by JoshuaE
✱GCSE English Literature 2016 - Unit 1 and 2✱

Hey! The purpose of this thread is to be a directory for all things AQA English Lit. General discussion, revision help and the elusive predictions are all welcome.
Dates:

23rd May 2016 - Unit 1 (Exploring modern texts) *3 DAYS*

27th May 2016 - Unit 2 (Poetry across time) OR Unit 4

Resources

BBC Bitesize - English Literature (For those who don't do the OMAM and AIC)

An Inspector calls - the entire play (A particularly more contemporary version was released last year but is only available through purchase)

GCSE Pod (School subscription required)

Emmark's notes (near the end of the page)

*If you find any useful resources message me and I'll put them in*

To help introduce yourself fill the form below:

What novel, play and poetry cluster are you studying?

How are you preparing for the exam - do you feel confident for it?

Do you have any predictions for certain characters/themes?

I'm doing Mockingbird, short stories and character and voice cluster, think i'mma die:frown:
Ah great advice, I'll learn some context to tick the ao4 boxes, thank you 😊😊
Original post by Urbz
ME!!

Me (i love the play its interesting and easy to remember quotes:biggrin:)
If anyone wants to see some paragraphs I did on an unseen poem (not a past paper question, but a practice style question with a poem my teacher chose) and a comparison of two Character and Voice poems, I'd be more than happy to post them!
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Imagine if she does come up. I would literally die! My teacher said we can burn down his house if she comes up hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a high chance Edna will come up. Even though she doesn't speak directly much, there are things you can say about her.
What texts did you study and under what board?
Original post by SANTR
Extremely easy exam!
Hardly revised and achieved an A*.
Focus should be on exam technique rather than knowing the texts inside out.
Structure your paragraphs in the following way:
Point, Embedded quote, explain the quote, pick out a couple of words and explain the connotations of each word. Explain why the write chose those words etc.
Original post by MIST_123
If anyone wants Mr Bruff's A* Videos (10 In depth videos each 15-30 mins long), PM me! 6 Videos for English Language and 4 for English Literature (one covering each question in depth). Helped me get 2 A*s last year!

Also have AIC and OMAM recourses if anyone is interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yo, i tried PM-ing you, not sure if it worked or not (I'm kinda a noob at this thing) but my exam is on MONDAY :eek::eek::eek: So i need the link ASAP, perhaps PM me it? Or if that not possible, here's my email: [email protected] Thanks sooo much! :smile::smile::smile::smile:You don't understand how much i appreciate this man, seriously!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
How does everyone revise poetry? I'm doing the Relationships cluster. I'm a bit unsure as to what I can do and considering its my most difficult exam I need help... fast. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending