The Student Room Group

The evil eye

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Drunk Punx
Doesn't matter where it came from or how many people believe in it, as it doesn't change what it is. And what it is, is superstition.

I feel ya
Reply 21
Original post by sfaraj
yep i own a blue eye thing, wearing one now and everytime something goes wrong, my mum goes "ya! you have hasad"

I thinks she's taking it Abit out of proportion :laugh:
Oh my God I remember these! My grandmother used to put a bracelet with a Nazar charm on it.
Original post by queen-bee
I thinks she's taking it Abit out of proportion :laugh:

i may have exaggerated a bit:colondollar:

are you iraqi?
My fellow medittaraneans,Turks,Arabs/middle easterners and everyone else..do you believe in the evil eye? Or the ayn al hasad

Do you wear a nazar bead around your neck or have them around the house as you enter or in other room? I've attached a picture of one for those that don't know what a nazar is
image.jpeg
Is this just a crazy thing that's part of our culture or does the evil eye actually exist??

I remember those blue eyes in Turkey! :biggrin:
evil eye does exist, but those beads and all the other stuff dont prevent it
reading ayat-ul-kursy and reading your athkar, making duaa and stuff are what actually prevent evil eye
other stuff regarding beads, khumsa
Khamsa_pendant (1).jpg
etc are bid3a
Reply 26
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Oh my God I remember these! My grandmother used to put a bracelet with a Nazar charm on it.

what religion was your grandmother? and what religion are you?
Reply 27
we have that blue eye all over our house omg, in every room, we have a million necklaces of it with eyelashes and different sizes and stuff

idk if i believe in it tho but it looks cool :lol:
@queen-bee

Yes I do, my mother and I are very superstitious. We have on the front inside door of the house.

Whenever something bad happens, we always break an egg in case someone has put an evil eye on us. I quite like the superstition.
I come from a very superstitious background. We have something like the evil eye and the only way to do it is by having 'charms' to counteract it. We have two bowls of salt somewhere around the house (out of sight) and my parents make me wear this necklace. :dontknow: but I don't believe in it.
Reply 30
Original post by sfaraj
i may have exaggerated a bit:colondollar:

are you iraqi?

I'm part Syrian but my dad is Italian
Original post by homeland.lsw
@queen-bee

Yes I do, my mother and I are very superstitious. We have on the front inside door of the house.

Whenever something bad happens, we always break an egg in case someone has put an evil eye on us. I quite like the superstition.

id have run out of eggs
Reply 32
Original post by z33
we have that blue eye all over our house omg, in every room, we have a million necklaces of it with eyelashes and different sizes and stuff

idk if i believe in it tho but it looks cool :lol:

They have that in every middle eastern,Turkish and some Italian households
Actually thinking about it, we do a lot of crazy Eastern European superstitions in the house.

Chucking water out of the house before an exam
Breaking eggs to get rid of curses
Wearing crucifixes all the time.
Getting blessed by the priest before doing anything.

We even burned sage once :getmecoat:
I'm part Syrian but my dad is Italian

ahh then i am baitly bad at flags, i thought the flag on your profile was iraq, aha thats a cool mix. i love syrians!
Original post by shawtyb
id have run out of eggs

Omg we're like hooligans, we just randomly run into the street and break an egg on the road as hard as possible at like midnight :rofl:
Reply 36
Original post by _Xenon_
I remember those blue eyes in Turkey! :biggrin:

I usually wear one around my neck if possible,I just like it as a fashion accessory mostly
Reply 37
Original post by sfaraj
ahh then i am baitly bad at flags, i thought the flag on your profile was iraq, aha thats a cool mix. i love syrians!

We love you too habibti
Reply 38
Actually thinking about it, we do a lot of crazy Eastern European superstitions in the house.

Get a priests cleanse your house if you're a Christian
Reply 39

We chuck water after someone leaves for a trip I guess so they come back safely?
we break eggs on new cars... idk why

kinda similar :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest