The Student Room Group

Any body else have no motivation to revise for English Literature?

I just hate it so much. It's so boring and useless. How is analysing a poem and making up some ******** about it's meaning going to get me anywhere in life? It's not valued as a skill, the books are boring and the exam is long winded and painful. I don't even know where to start about revising for it and don't know if I should just skip it out and revise the subjects I care about doing well in.

How do you guys feel about english literature and how do you revise for it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Resty
I just hate it so much. It's so boring and useless. How is analysing a poem and making up some ******** about it's meaning going to get me anywhere in life? It's not valued as a skill, the books are boring and the exam is long winded and painful. I don't even know where to start about revising for it and don't know if I should just skip it out and revise the subjects I care about doing well in.

I mean it isn't that bad and it's quite a valued subject, especially because few people do really well at it at GCSE
Reply 2
you're not aloneeee
Original post by Resty

lol! you could same for maths and Pythagoras' theorem

And of course science with the good old "empirical formula"

ok, you're also COMPLETELY wrong about English Lit being useless
English allows us to have more sophisticated ways of thinking. In Love, war, justice, desire, etc.

It allows us to form opinions, discuss, argue and debate them. You don't see yourself doing that in science and maths now, do you?
You could say that for a lot of subjects you know ; how is X gonna be useful for life etc
I'm basically just learning quotes, last year we sat an early literature exam and I winged it and got an A*. English Language is the one that messed me over in January though, I'm going to try and aim for A's in Language and an A* in this literature exam.
Reply 6
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

English allows us to have more sophisticated ways of thinking. In Love, war, justice, desire, etc.

It allows us to form opinions, discuss, argue and debate them. You don't see yourself doing that in science and maths now, do you?

Instead in Science and Maths I see scientific advancements in medicine, industry, environment and with maths I see myself understanding how things are done in our world: simple things like scaffolding. Pythagoras' theorem is the most useful thing to a scaffolder. Maths is used for banking, accounting, science, construction. Infrastructure of the world.

English Lit: sure, you get to think about love, war and justice, but I don't feel like it affects us too dramatically to be a useful skill.
Original post by Resty
Instead in Science and Maths I see scientific advancements in medicine, industry, environment and with maths I see myself understanding how things are done in our world: simple things like scaffolding. Pythagoras' theorem is the most useful thing to a scaffolder. Maths is used for banking, accounting, science, construction. Infrastructure of the world.

English Lit: sure, you get to think about love, war and justice, but I don't feel like it affects us too dramatically to be a useful skill.

English Lit increases arguing and debating skills which are useful for lawyers & politicians. So, yeah actually. It does give you useful skills.

Yeah, maths and science is all well and good when it comes to learning new things, don't get me wrong. It takes high intelligence to do well in maths and science, sure. It helps you learn about our world, how it works, again I agree. But you know what science lacks? Emotion. The answer in maths and science is always SPECIFIC. It must ONE thing or ANOTHER.

The beauty of English Lit is that there is no ONE right answer, you're free to give your opinion. Not all subjects allow that. And it is something that people continue to underestimate.
Like, your own opinion is that English Lit isn't useful. Yet, if you look at the Universities' opinions, an English Lit A Level is just as highly respected as a maths or science.

Don't underestimate English, man.
(edited 7 years ago)
I literally have no motivation to revise english at all - I feel like it's one of those things that you can just 'wing'. I know it's a really bad attitude but I can't really help it :s-smilie: I'd just rather revise for my sciences...
Reply 9
English Lit increases arguing and debating skills which are useful for lawyers & politicians. So, yeah actually. It does give you useful skills.

Yeah, maths and science is all well and good when it comes to learning new things, don't get me wrong. It takes high intelligence to do well in maths and science, sure. It helps you learn about our world, how it works, again I agree. But you know what science lacks? Emotion. The answer in maths and science is always SPECIFIC. It must ONE thing or ANOTHER.

The beauty of English Lit is that there is no ONE right answer, you're free to give your opinion. Not all subjects allow that. And it is something that people continue to underestimate.
Like, your own opinion is that English Lit isn't useful. Yet, if you look at the Universities' opinions, an English Lit A Level is just as highly respected as a maths or science.

Don't underestimate English, man.

I understand, this is one of the reasons I will be taking A Level politics: I love debating and proposing another viewpoint. I'm fine with the debating, arguing, expressing etc. It's just I'm not fine with how I'm expected to do it. It's hard to debate about something you have no passion for. I'm restricted to talking about some poems and then restricted to talking about a couple of ranch workers in the 1930s. I get the themes of Of Mice and Men, I enjoy talking about the social injustices of the 1930s. I just hate everything else. Poetry is what I consider to be the most dry, tedious and uninspiring type of literature that I am forced to take an exam in.
Reply 10
OMG I feel the same, I have 2 English Literature exams on Monday and i've decided to watch the movies instead of actually practicing analysis and exam technique LOL
Original post by Resty
I understand, this is one of the reasons I will be taking A Level politics: I love debating and proposing another viewpoint. I'm fine with the debating, arguing, expressing etc. It's just I'm not fine with how I'm expected to do it. It's hard to debate about something you have no passion for. I'm restricted to talking about some poems and then restricted to talking about a couple of ranch workers in the 1930s. I get the themes of Of Mice and Men, I enjoy talking about the social injustices of the 1930s. I just hate everything else. Poetry is what I consider to be the most dry, tedious and uninspiring type of literature that I am forced to take an exam in.

Honestly, I kind of see where you're coming from with poetry. Expecting to form an attachment and write passionately about some poems you've never seen before in such a short amount of time is tricky.

I, myself, used to hate this part of English myself. I'm okay with it now, though. I'm sure you will be too, if you practise the poem exam questions. I mean, I might not be right here but perhaps you simply dislike poetry because you struggle with it and find you're not good at it? Because that's what I found before with myself.

As for Of Mice And Men, if you get the themes and understand them well; you should be fine. You can just answer the "theme" question when it comes (usually they give you a character or theme essay to answer). Sounds like your sorted for that.

I think poetry is only dry and tedious when you can't RELATE to the poem. I'm sure if you came across some poems you could emphasise with (the exam haiku thread might take your fancy), then you would enjoy them, or at the very least; be able to appreciate them.
Reply 12
Honestly, I kind of see where you're coming from with poetry. Expecting to form an attachment and write passionately about some poems you've never seen before in such a short amount of time is tricky.

I, myself, used to hate this part of English myself. I'm okay with it now, though. I'm sure you will be too, if you practise the poem exam questions. I mean, I might not be right here but perhaps you simply dislike poetry because you struggle with it and find you're not good at it? Because that's what I found before with myself.

As for Of Mice And Men, if you get the themes and understand them well; you should be fine. You can just answer the "theme" question when it comes (usually they give you a character or theme essay to answer). Sounds like your sorted for that.

I think poetry is only dry and tedious when you can't RELATE to the poem. I'm sure if you came across some poems you could emphasise with (the exam haiku thread might take your fancy), then you would enjoy them, or at the very least; be able to appreciate them.

I don't struggle all that much with poetry, sort of B/A border. I just dislike writing about it as I feel like I'm always scraping the barrel for ideas, most of which don't really make sense but because English Lit is basically "come up with irrelevant ideas and get marks for it" I don't feel any reward for doing it, unlike sciences where I feel happy that I've gotten the answer right and know my stuff.
--
(edited 6 years ago)
Yes; but then, I'm also 29.
im going to read some notes i found online and spend the rest of the day on youtube. english lit is somewhat tolerable. but with peoples predictions im worried cos i know nothing about sheila or the inspector etc
yeah I got no clue lol
I don't really know how to revise it either. I consider it as an important GCSE because I'm taking it further, but my revision for it is minor. I have notes next to my computer telling me what types of things to do in the exam like language analysis and effect on reader/context/what the author is trying to do. I've covered near enough every important thing in my lessons and as long as I'm aware of these, that's all I need.

English LIt shows analytical skills, similar to History GCSE because that is also a fairly opinionated subject. And just like History, you create an opinion and an analysis based on information and facts. English Lit you base your opinion depended on what you read and how you read it.
Reply 18

Maths and science are all around us, and used in almost everything. Ultimately, they've allowed us to be where we are today. Simple fact.

And you're wrong about English Lit having any use. It's completely useless.
Reply 19
English Lit A Level is just as highly respected as a maths or science.

Lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending