The Student Room Group

Geography OCR A at GCSE?

Is any one doing Geography OCR A at GCSE? If so how are you revising? I ask because there is no textbook and the information online in very little (due to the syllabus reforms). My teacher is not the best and I want to do really well as I am keen to take it for A-level, any advice/help would be appreciated!
Original post by Ananya._c
Is any one doing Geography OCR A at GCSE? If so how are you revising? I ask because there is no textbook and the information online in very little (due to the syllabus reforms). My teacher is not the best and I want to do really well as I am keen to take it for A-level, any advice/help would be appreciated!

Hey, I'm doing this *cough* horrible *cough* course too!
I've been revising by making flash cards and big scruffy mind maps on the different sections - how did you do in your mock/what do you want to get in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lilacpotato
Hey, I'm doing this *cough* horrible *cough* course too!
I've been revising by making flash cards and big scruffy mind maps on the different sections - how did you do in your mock/what do you want to get in the end?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hurrah, finally someone who is sharing the same pain! I got an A* in both papers and hope for the same in the end but the mock wasn't on all the content so I know it's not an accurate reflection of my grade :pierre:
As for revision, I'm doing the same but it's hard because there aren't many past papers so I don't feel confident :frown:
What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hurrah, finally someone who is sharing the same pain! I got an A* in both papers and hope for the same in the end but the mock wasn't on all the content so I know it's not an accurate reflection of my grade :pierre:
As for revision, I'm doing the same but it's hard because there aren't many past papers so I don't feel confident :frown:
What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in exactly the same situation! I would
love an A* (after getting one in the mock) but I just don't feel confident at all due to the lack of past papers and also the fact that OCR love to put in really odd questions. I've never even done a skills paper! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm in exactly the same situation! I would
love an A* (after getting one in the mock) but I just don't feel confident at all due to the lack of past papers and also the fact that OCR love to put in really odd questions. I've never even done a skills paper! :frown:

Hopefully the mark boundaries will be low, and don't worry there's one or two on the OCR website for the skills exam in June. Check out Mr Golden Geography, there are some GREAT resources :smile:) Also, what are your case studies? I'm doing Mumbai and East London, Japan Earthquake, Andes and Sahara desert.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been using that site - I swear it's like the only one lol!
I'm doing my town and Mityana in Uganda, Christchurch earthquake, Alps and Sahara desert. Do you have any key stats for the Sahara desert?
I also do Tourism, Coffee and Fracking for the Global Citizen section - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I've been using that site - I swear it's like the only one lol!
I'm doing my town and Mityana in Uganda, Christchurch earthquake, Alps and Sahara desert. Do you have any key stats for the Sahara desert?
I also do Tourism, Coffee and Fracking for the Global Citizen section - what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mr Golden Geography is a life saver :yy: I do tourism and fracking too but different case studies for the others. For the Sahara desert, not really, it's more about processes etc.
Will let you know is anything super useful comes up :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr Golden Geography is a life saver :yy: I do tourism and fracking too but different case studies for the others. For the Sahara desert, not really, it's more about processes etc.
Will let you know is anything super useful comes up :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm just trying to cram as many stats in my head as possible this weekend as they can get you extra marks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you know where you can find the 2015 paper? (And 2013) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Do you know where you can find the 2015 paper? (And 2013) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure, sorry, I was looking for past papers too but because it's a new specification I don't think there are many :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure, sorry, I was looking for past papers too but because it's a new specification I don't think there are many :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Okay, thanks :smile: xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey how is revising going, any tips? I'm just going over the stats for case studies and management stuff (heard they like those kinds of questions). Wbu? Good Luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do GREAT :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey how is revising going, any tips? I'm just going over the stats for case studies and management stuff (heard they like those kinds of questions). Wbu? Good Luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do GREAT :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

All I would say is learn your case studies well and read the question carefully (OCR love to be sneaky with their questions!) Also, what are you putting about if they ask about managing something in the Sahara? Would you just say about desertification?
Awww thank you, good luck too!! I hope OCR are feeling kind! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
All I would say is learn your case studies well and read the question carefully (OCR love to be sneaky with their questions!) Also, what are you putting about if they ask about managing something in the Sahara? Would you just say about desertification?
Awww thank you, good luck too!! I hope OCR are feeling kind! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For managing desertification:
1. Educating farmers about crop rotation and not to overgraze (so soil is not ripped of nutrients) BUT small scale
2. spray sand with petroleum to stop sand blowing or being worn away BUT toxic to fragile ecosystem
3. terracing land so soil stays secure
4. afforestation so soil is bonded and not loose BUT time consuming
5. earth dams which follow contours of soil to allow infiltration of water into soil
That's all I could think of - hope it helps :smile:
For managing desertification:
1. Educating farmers about crop rotation and not to overgraze (so soil is not ripped of nutrients) BUT small scale
2. spray sand with petroleum to stop sand blowing or being worn away BUT toxic to fragile ecosystem
3. terracing land so soil stays secure
4. afforestation so soil is bonded and not loose BUT time consuming
5. earth dams which follow contours of soil to allow infiltration of water into soil
That's all I could think of - hope it helps :smile:

Thank you so much, this is really helpful!! GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Thank you so much, this is really helpful!! GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW!! :biggrin:

No problem and YOU TOO :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you dingbats do in the exam ? cos' i think i cried waterfalls in the mountains and glaciers (you know what i mean)
Reply 17
Original post by money-for-all
How did you dingbats do in the exam ? cos' i think i cried waterfalls in the mountains and glaciers (you know what i mean)

I CRIED SO MUCH MY EYES WERE UNDERGOING DESERTIFICATION. Also our egg of a teacher specifically told us NOT to learn about salt pans because it wouldn't come up. Guess what? It came up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, how do you think it went overall tho?
I thought the paper was not too bad but obviously the salt pan question was a nightmare!
Nothing on our local place/non-UK place!! I'd revised so much on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
that was the best paper i could ever have wished for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending