The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
24th June! A week later than everyone else because of triple science and further maths :angry:
When do yours finish?

Oh wow! Mine finish on the 22nd so not much difference, that's surprising considering you'll have done 10 by the time I've done 6 :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
Oh wow! Mine finish on the 22nd so not much difference, that's surprising considering you'll have done 10 by the time I've done 6 :biggrin:

I know, I'm pretty sure I'm sitting more exams than you though, 23? So it would make sense.

Still annoying though when everyone else is free we have an extra 5 :angry: and to make it worse they're all morning exams and I have 2 different clashes!
I know, I'm pretty sure I'm sitting more exams than you though, 23? So it would make sense.

Still annoying though when everyone else is free we have an extra 5 :angry: and to make it worse they're all morning exams and I have 2 different clashes!

Only just, yeah, I have 18/19 I think

That's very true and it must annoy you so much. Do you get study leave? Because we don't and that makes everything worse as I would much rather prefer to study at home :s-smilie:
Only just, yeah, I have 18/19 I think

That's very true and it must annoy you so much. Do you get study leave? Because we don't and that makes everything worse as I would much rather prefer to study at home :s-smilie:

Oh right so yeah not that many less.

Luckily yes, I left school last Friday so have had study leave for all my exams - extra handy for afternoon ones as you can cram in a couple of hours in the morning! (I've already done this twice and tomorrow will be the third time :colondollar:)

Do you not get it at all? That's such a shame! Having study leave will be the only reason I'll get the grades I will tbh, I rely on it more than I care to admit! I can't revise in school, and then after a stressful day at school revision is the last thing on my mind! So in all I am incredibly lucky :smile:
Any last-minute revision tips for the sciences? In all of the past papers I get an A* though it's usually 5-6 marks above the boundary which kind of worries me. I don't re-read the paper as I'm too anxious and I don't know how to get rid of that feeling as it's almost like a panic attack waiting to be triggered :/
Original post by Mac117
Any last-minute revision tips for the sciences? In all of the past papers I get an A* though it's usually 5-6 marks above the boundary which kind of worries me. I don't re-read the paper as I'm too anxious and I don't know how to get rid of that feeling as it's almost like a panic attack waiting to be triggered :/

5 or 6 marks above the boundary is nothing to worry about. I recommend that you continuously go over marked past papers. Read the question and your answer. That's what I did. That way you get a hang of the wording for the question. Hope that helped. Are you the member that has OCD ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right so yeah not that many less.

Luckily yes, I left school last Friday so have had study leave for all my exams - extra handy for afternoon ones as you can cram in a couple of hours in the morning! (I've already done this twice and tomorrow will be the third time :colondollar:)

Do you not get it at all? That's such a shame! Having study leave will be the only reason I'll get the grades I will tbh, I rely on it more than I care to admit! I can't revise in school, and then after a stressful day at school revision is the last thing on my mind! So in all I am incredibly lucky :smile:

You're lucky, we get it (sort of) before our last 2 exams so there is honestly no point! Because even in those last 2 exams we will be just focusing on them in free lessons so it woudn't be much different :frown:

Oh well, I just hope I can keep up my motivation because like you say, after a stressful day at school, revision is the last thing on my mind :smile:

Good luck cramming this morning I hope the exam goes well :smile:
UPDATE FOR 19/05/16

30 B1-B3 Q Cards

30 Geography Q Cards

276 German cards

Biology 1-3 past paper

Hopefully going to absolutely revise everything needed for next week over tomorrow and the weekend - things are getting stressful for me now, so I completely understand how you lot all feel :smile: Chin up everyone and keep going :biggrin:

Well done and that's what i am doing revising everything for next week in the weekends :smile:
So both of my friends tell me that they study up till 12 and wake up at 4 on a school day. There is me who goes to sleep at 11 and wakes up at 6. I feel a little awkward and i feel like i'm not doing enough :frown: !
Although one of my friend hardly remembers anything especially when we test each other but my other friend knows more.
Original post by nisha.sri
So both of my friends tell me that they study up till 12 and wake up at 4 on a school day. There is me who goes to sleep at 11 and wakes up at 6. I feel a little awkward and i feel like i'm not doing enough :frown: !
Although one of my friend hardly remembers anything especially when we test each other but my other friend knows more.

Some people work differently - in my opinion, staying up until 12 and waking up at 4 is not going to be particularly beneficial. Yes, you have more time to revise, but if you're exhausted in the exam then that is going to harm your performance. The hours you are doing are nothing to be ashamed of (it's still a lot of hours!) and at the end of the you've been putting a lot of hard work in and it will show! Don't worry about what others are doing - you're doing great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 hours sleep is not healthy, especially the night before an exam. Sure, you can revise more, but as it gets nearer to 12am they're probably not taking anything in anymore so it's just wasted. Same goes at 4am. If you're too tired then your concentration levels and ability to remember information are drastically reduced, so it's really not worth it as they'll probably not do well in the exam. As you get 7 hours sleep you'll be more alert in an exam, and you'll also be able to take in more of what you revise so it's actually worthwhile and active revision. Your approach is much better, both for exam success and for health :smile:

Chances are they don't even do that though, and they're just saying it to make themselves sound better. Don't listen to them and keep doing what you know works for you
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
5 or 6 marks above the boundary is nothing to worry about. I recommend that you continuously go over marked past papers. Read the question and your answer. That's what I did. That way you get a hang of the wording for the question. Hope that helped. Are you the member that has OCD ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have mild OCD and severe general anxiety disorder with social anxiety disorder. Some of the makes I could have gotten easily if I went through my exam once again. I can't make myself do i though, it's terrible!
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may be referring to me there; I was the member who joined in quite late to this thread and poured out me repertoire on having severe OCD after realising the thread starter had Atopic Eczema.
Original post by Redcoats
You may be referring to me there; I was the member who joined in quite late to this thread and poured out me repertoire on having severe OCD after realising the thread starter had Atopic Eczema.

I see.

Posted from TSR Mobile
An improvement! I made myself recheck the multiple choice and avoided therefore 3 more errors. I still try to recheck my long answers but I can't yet.
Hey, don't worry!
Take them as a lesson - to make sure that you prepare yourself better for year 11 mocks and then obviously your GCSEs.
It's good that you want to focus on your coursework as at this stage they actually contribute to your grades, your mocks don't.
If teachers think you're stupid and incapable, then it's more reflecting themselves than you. You're most certainly not stupid and you're more than capable! Like you said, it's simply a lack of preparation which you can easily learn from.
If your mocks are being made harder than the actual GCSEs that you'll sit, then allow it to reassure you. You'll know that your real exams will be easier than this and so you can expect your grades to be higher next year :smile:

hey, thank- you for replying. Tbh i am really disappointed in myself, however i have been doing my coursework as well as possible. My mum said that being that I haven't done too well in these exams - my prospects of getting straight A*'s and hopefully attending Oxford are pretty low. I think that is really unfair, as it was simply down to preparation.

I just really want to do well and achieve my goals. Do you happen to have any tips?
24th June! A week later than everyone else because of triple science and further maths :angry:
When do yours finish?

I finish on the 27th June - Statistics :smile:
UPDATE 20/05/16:
I haven't update in ages ( few days ) - I was really busy so i couldn't
All of my exams went well this week which i'm really happy about hopefully revision pays off Next week i've got one exams everyday so i'm planning to revise very hard during the weekends

Not much done but it was detailed so I did 1 and half hour of each

1. Maths past paper
2. Physics paper + revision
3. Slim quotes + character analysis
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
hey, thank- you for replying. Tbh i am really disappointed in myself, however i have been doing my coursework as well as possible. My mum said that being that I haven't done too well in these exams - my prospects of getting straight A*'s and hopefully attending Oxford are pretty low. I think that is really unfair, as it was simply down to preparation.

I just really want to do well and achieve my goals. Do you happen to have any tips?

It's ok to feel disappointed as long as it motivates you to prepare better for your real exams! After all it's what they're there for tbh. And well done for doing coursework to the highest standard as I know how tedious it can be!
That's really unfair for your mum to say that! These are only mocks and you still have plenty of time to learn from them and make sure you prepare extra well for your real exams! Your future prospects are not limited in any way from these exams, so don't worry.

As for tips, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I never learned from my mistakes and am relying on cramming, however I can offer the following ideas:
-if you ever don't understand something in lesson, see your teacher about it and go over it at home until you do. It might seem long but it will save revision time in the long run!
-revise for the little tests you do in class as you might remember the stuff you revised later on (I still remember stuff I revised for my November mocks)
-don't start full-on revision too early as you're likely to forget most of it. I'd say February half term is a good time (it's when most people here started)
-don't count the number of hours you do but instead the amount of work that you do.
-use specifications!!!
-make your notes either very attractive (if your a visual learner to help remember it when you reread them) or very messy (if you're a kinaesthetic learner as simply writing stuff out will help it stick)
-use different forms of revision, don't stick to the same techniques (or do, if you find something works for all of your subjects then feel free to use it for them all)
-make sure your revision is active - don't just read or highlight stuff as there are studies which show you only take in 10% of information this way.
-past papers are your friends!!
-so are mark schemes and examiners reports!!

I won't go on forever but hopefully they'll help you! If you ever need any more help feel free to ask as I'll be happy to give advice :smile:
UPDATE 20/05/16:
I haven't update in ages ( few days ) - I was really busy so i couldn't
All of my exams went well this week which i'm really happy about hopefully revision pays off Next week i've got one exams everyday so i'm planning to revise very hard during the weekends

Not much done but it was detailed so I did 1 and half hour of each

1. Maths past paper
2. Physics paper + revision
3. Slim quotes + character analysis

Well done with this and I'm glad your exams went well :biggrin: it shows your revision is good as its sticking :smile:
I've got an exam every day next week too - good luck in yours! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending