The Student Room Group

Do Oxford take average UMS of top 4 AS-levels?

I am thinking of applying to Oxford for Medicine.
My AS levels are:
Biology Chemistry Maths Further Maths Economics

I am confident of getting As in the above subjects apart from Economics, where I think I might get a B.

Is Economics regarded as a science by Oxford/other universities? As I think they average the UMS of your science modules. I think that Economics will lower my average UMS. If I get predictions of A*A*AAB, will the B severely harm my application?
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone?
Original post by vignesh1234567
I am thinking of applying to Oxford for Medicine.
My AS levels are:
Biology Chemistry Maths Further Maths Economics

I am confident of getting As in the above subjects apart from Economics, where I think I might get a B.

Is Economics regarded as a science by Oxford/other universities? As I think they average the UMS of your science modules. I think that Economics will lower my average UMS. If I get predictions of A*A*AAB, will the B severely harm my application?

Economics is not a science no.

Oxford do not look at UMS grades universally as they cannot see them. They do not go on the UCAS form.

A 'B' will not severely harm your application as long as you get the required grades.

GCSEs are a hugely important factor for Oxford medicine. I hope yours are good.

Further maths is not considered a separate A-level by most medical schools (although it is ok for some).
Original post by nexttime
Economics is not a science no.

Oxford do not look at UMS grades universally as they cannot see them. They do not go on the UCAS form.

A 'B' will not severely harm your application as long as you get the required grades.

GCSEs are a hugely important factor for Oxford medicine. I hope yours are good.

Further maths is not considered a separate A-level by most medical schools (although it is ok for some).

Thank you!
I am considering applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Newcastle. I got 13A*s at GCSE. I believe Oxford, Imperial and Newcastle accept further maths. I am confident in Maths and Chemistry though unsure about Biology, so getting A*A*AB should be enough for UCL?
Thank you!
I am considering applying to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Newcastle. I got 13A*s at GCSE. I believe Oxford, Imperial and Newcastle accept further maths. I am confident in Maths and Chemistry though unsure about Biology, so getting A*A*AB should be enough for UCL?

If the entry requirement is A*A*A then you're fine. They will take your top 3 grades.
Thank you!

If you achieve their requirement then its fine.

You're choosing 3 BMAT unis there, which is generally not advisable. One slip-up in the BMAT and you've only one choice left. I'd go for two max.

Quick Reply

Latest