The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Multitalented me
Thanks aha, I mean it can definitely hard considering all my family & relatives are Muslims but then I realise that it's my life, & I need to choose the path that I feel make most sense & is best for me. I didn't exactly choose to be born in a Muslim family so I don't see why I have to follow it by default tbh.

Amen to that !
Original post by Kraixo
Go educate yourself on the deen before death overtakes you which can come at any moment. May Allah guide me and you.

I don't have anyone to educate me and i'm far too lazy to be going and educating myself because it's not a topic of interest for me anymore. And i know i'm going to hell .... :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Please fast this year, it'll benefit you at the end of the day!

Even though as you say, you aren't that religious, still, do it, insha'Allah!
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous - (2:183)
Fasting for] a limited number of days. So whoever among you is ill or on a journey [during them] - then an equal number of days [are to be made up]. And upon those who are able [to fast, but with hardship] - a ransom [as substitute] of feeding a poor person [each day]. And whoever volunteers excess - it is better for him. But to fast is best for you, if you only knew. (2:184)
The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful. (2:185)

How about this from the NHS as reason for not fasting:

Some common health complications that can arise from fasting, and how to prevent and deal with them.The following advice has been provided following consultation with medical experts and Islamic scholars.Fasting and heartburnFasting usually reduces the amount of stomach acid, which digests food and kills bacteria. However, thoughts of food, or the smell of it, make the brain tell the stomach to produce more acid, which can lead to heartburn.People who regularly take medicine for indigestion such as antacids, antihistamines or proton pump inhibitors are advised to continue taking them. A good time to do this could be with the pre-dawn meal.The control of heartburn or belching can be aided by eating in moderation and avoiding oily, deep-fried or very spicy food. Reducing your caffeine intake and stopping smoking can also help.Preparations such as peppermint oil may help reduce belching or abdominal discomfort. Sleeping with your head raised on a few pillows, in addition to long-term weight loss, may also help prevent heartburn.Fasting and poor control of diabetesPeople who regularly inject insulin are advised not to fast, as the potential risk to health both in the short and long term of not taking insulin is too great. People who have their diabetes under control using tablets should seek careful advice from their GP before starting a fast.Regular self-monitoring of your blood glucose is strongly advised. Low blood sugar levels (known as a "hypo") are dangerous, and may lead to fainting or fits if left untreated.Feeling dizzy, sweaty and disoriented may all suggest a hypo. If a person with diabetes has these symptoms, they should immediately have a sugary drink, or place sugar or a sugar-rich sweet below their tongue.Fasting and a headacheThis common problem has many causes. Headaches during a fast could be due to dehydration or hunger, poor rest, or the absence of addictive substances, such as caffeine or nicotine.A moderate and balanced diet, especially not missing the pre-dawn meal, taking in enough fluids and, if necessary, some painkillers such as paracetamol, can help prevent or reduce the risk of getting a headache.Headaches can also be prevented by not exposing yourself to direct sunlight, wearing a hat when out, using sunglasses to reduce the effect of glare from the sun and relieving any tense muscles with a short, gentle massage.Fasting and dehydrationDehydration is common during a fast. The body continues to lose water and salts through breathing, perspiring and urinating.If you don’t drink sufficiently before a fast, your risk of dehydration increases. This risk is higher in older people and in those taking tablets, such as diuretics.If you are unable to stand up due to dizziness, or you are disoriented, you should urgently drink regular, moderate quantities of water ideally with sugar and salt or Dioralyte or Lucozade.If you faint due to dehydration, your legs should be raised above your head by others, and when you awake, you should urgently rehydrate as outlined above.Fasting and constipationWhen you are fasting, being active, drinking water regularly and eating healthily (during the times when you are not fasting) will help to keep your bowel motions regular. Include lots of fruit and vegetables in your diet and increase the fibre content of your food using bran. If the problem persists, a short course of laxatives may help.Fasting and stressLack of food and water, changes of routine and shorter periods of sleep can cause stress. It’s important to deal with any potential sources of stress to stop any harmful effects. This can be helped by not taking on more than you can handle, not playing sports in the hot sun, controlling your anger and not smoking.Fasting and weight controlFood consumed during the pre-dawn and dusk meals may lead to some unintended weight gain

Hmm... trust a book written by a group of uneducated medieval men written with the intention of controlling a populace and consolidating their own power or trust an article written by highly educated medical professionals.

Well I know which I'm choosing. But you carry on believing your myths and legends if you want, hey, its your life. But you can't say you weren't warned.
Change your mind man... for the sake of yourself!
Become more pious and wider your knowledge of Islam, pray Salaah, and definitely make the most of this Ramadhan

Maybe some time in the future but right now i don't want to change what i believe in which is to not fast this Ramadan.
Maybe some time in the future but right now i don't want to change what i believe in which is to not fast this Ramadan.

You believe you don't have to fast or just you don't want to?
I don't have anyone to educate me and i'm far too lazy to be going and educating myself because it's not a topic of interest for me anymore. And i know i'm going to hell .... :frown:

Wake up!
Go educate yourself on the deen before death overtakes you which can come at any moment, then there are no second chances if you lived your life worshipping your desires which you are clearly doing right now then there is no good ending. The whole point of being Muslim is to submit yourself to god and live according to the laws set by god. Sorry for being intrusive but not fasting while you are clearly able to fast and know that it's obligatory seems hypocritical to me, and hypocrisy belongs to the lowest level of hell.

sigh... And Allah knows best.

Spoiler

I was born into a muslim family, wouldn't consider myself a practicing Muslim at all. Last Ramadan i didn't fast i secretly ate when no one was around and i'm planning to do the same this year too as Ramadan approaches in a few weeks time. What are your thoughts on this? Do any fellow 'muslims' do this too? I know it's bad but i really don't see the point in fasting if i don't even practice the religion...? If you're a non muslims what are your thoughts on my decision? Just curious :smile:

This Ramadan I've got exams so I won't be fasting on those days because if I fast il be too tired cause i will wake up for sehri, then will be too hungry to focus, especially thirsty,
Only days where I don't need to do lots of revision I'm going to fast
Exactly i don't really feel respected as an individual at all and i'm just fine with sneaking around as long as i'm not forced to be starving myself..

It makes no sense for people on here to completely ignore your wishes and tell you to do it 'just because' and disregard the fact you have already said you aren't practicing. They have the same outlook as your mother and it's wrong. I've been told by Muslim aquaintances in the past that I should just 'do it because' as well, which makes no logical sense - it only made me see the reasons for not doing it even clearer. And the scare tactics, saying you're going to hell, is really pathetic. If your heart isn't in it, God already knows. So why torture yourself?
Original post by aeroline1999

Some common health complications that can arise from fasting, and how to prevent and deal with them.The following advice has been provided following consultation with medical experts and Islamic scholars.Fasting and heartburnFasting usually reduces the amount of stomach acid, which digests food and kills bacteria. However, thoughts of food, or the smell of it, make the brain tell the stomach to produce more acid, which can lead to heartburn.People who regularly take medicine for indigestion such as antacids, antihistamines or proton pump inhibitors are advised to continue taking them. A good time to do this could be with the pre-dawn meal.The control of heartburn or belching can be aided by eating in moderation and avoiding oily, deep-fried or very spicy food. Reducing your caffeine intake and stopping smoking can also help.Preparations such as peppermint oil may help reduce belching or abdominal discomfort. Sleeping with your head raised on a few pillows, in addition to long-term weight loss, may also help prevent heartburn.Fasting and poor control of diabetesPeople who regularly inject insulin are advised not to fast, as the potential risk to health both in the short and long term of not taking insulin is too great. People who have their diabetes under control using tablets should seek careful advice from their GP before starting a fast.Regular self-monitoring of your blood glucose is strongly advised. Low blood sugar levels (known as a "hypo":wink: are dangerous, and may lead to fainting or fits if left untreated.Feeling dizzy, sweaty and disoriented may all suggest a hypo. If a person with diabetes has these symptoms, they should immediately have a sugary drink, or place sugar or a sugar-rich sweet below their tongue.Fasting and a headacheThis common problem has many causes. Headaches during a fast could be due to dehydration or hunger, poor rest, or the absence of addictive substances, such as caffeine or nicotine.A moderate and balanced diet, especially not missing the pre-dawn meal, taking in enough fluids and, if necessary, some painkillers such as paracetamol, can help prevent or reduce the risk of getting a headache.Headaches can also be prevented by not exposing yourself to direct sunlight, wearing a hat when out, using sunglasses to reduce the effect of glare from the sun and relieving any tense muscles with a short, gentle massage.Fasting and dehydrationDehydration is common during a fast. The body continues to lose water and salts through breathing, perspiring and urinating.If you don’t drink sufficiently before a fast, your risk of dehydration increases. This risk is higher in older people and in those taking tablets, such as diuretics.If you are unable to stand up due to dizziness, or you are disoriented, you should urgently drink regular, moderate quantities of water ideally with sugar and salt or Dioralyte or Lucozade.If you faint due to dehydration, your legs should be raised above your head by others, and when you awake, you should urgently rehydrate as outlined above.Fasting and constipationWhen you are fasting, being active, drinking water regularly and eating healthily (during the times when you are not fasting) will help to keep your bowel motions regular. Include lots of fruit and vegetables in your diet and increase the fibre content of your food using bran. If the problem persists, a short course of laxatives may help.Fasting and stressLack of food and water, changes of routine and shorter periods of sleep can cause stress. It’s important to deal with any potential sources of stress to stop any harmful effects. This can be helped by not taking on more than you can handle, not playing sports in the hot sun, controlling your anger and not smoking.Fasting and weight controlFood consumed during the pre-dawn and dusk meals may lead to some unintended weight gain

Hmm... trust a book written by a group of uneducated medieval men written with the intention of controlling a populace and consolidating their own power or trust an article written by highly educated medical professionals.

Well I know which I'm choosing. But you carry on believing your myths and legends if you want, hey, its your life. But you can't say you weren't warned.

Haha, so you're going to use what the NHS believes, to change my mind about MY religion?

Copying things off WIKI, or even the NHS site proves nothing.
Ever heard of the pro's of fasting? Ok, let me got through them with you.

Scientists believe that fasting can tackle kidney disease, and dementia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2107299/Can-fasting-days-week-stop-dementia-It-sounds-far-fetched-scientists-think-slashing-calories-combat-host-illnesses.html

He then discovers what he calls the 5-2 diet. Eat for 5 days as normal and fast for 2 days. He gives this a go for a few months. The results show that he not only lost well over a stone in weight but significantly reduced his body fat. His IGF-1 reduced by 50%, his glucose dropped to a good level, and his bad cholesterol dropped with his good cholesterol increasing. Therefore he cut the risks he had of getting diseases but if he continues, he doesn’t have to take tablets at all.In conclusion he discovers the following:1. Good health and longevity in age lies in diet food matters.
2. Fasting can be done best according to the 5-2 diet system.
3. Fasting makes you healthier.
4. Fasting makes you sharper.
5. Fasting is not everybody certain people shouldn’t fast, for example a pregnant woman he mentions.

http://muslimvillage.com/2013/03/13/36895/scientists-prove-fasting-the-secret-to-living-longer/

The LIST goes on.

I will continue to believe as I wish, you do as you wish. Yet, you have also been warned.
Regardless, i just find Ramadan to give good vibes. Doesn't it make you feel good or is it just me?
Give it a chance, you might change your mind.
Original post by shazy2014
This Ramadan I've got exams so I won't be fasting on those days because if I fast il be too tired cause i will wake up for sehri, then will be too hungry to focus, especially thirsty,
Only days where I don't need to do lots of revision I'm going to fast

Excuses
Original post by aeroline1999

Some common health complications that can arise from fasting, and how to prevent and deal with them.The following advice has been provided following consultation with medical experts and Islamic scholars.Fasting and heartburnFasting usually reduces the amount of stomach acid, which digests food and kills bacteria. However, thoughts of food, or the smell of it, make the brain tell the stomach to produce more acid, which can lead to heartburn.People who regularly take medicine for indigestion such as antacids, antihistamines or proton pump inhibitors are advised to continue taking them. A good time to do this could be with the pre-dawn meal.The control of heartburn or belching can be aided by eating in moderation and avoiding oily, deep-fried or very spicy food. Reducing your caffeine intake and stopping smoking can also help.Preparations such as peppermint oil may help reduce belching or abdominal discomfort. Sleeping with your head raised on a few pillows, in addition to long-term weight loss, may also help prevent heartburn.Fasting and poor control of diabetesPeople who regularly inject insulin are advised not to fast, as the potential risk to health both in the short and long term of not taking insulin is too great. People who have their diabetes under control using tablets should seek careful advice from their GP before starting a fast.Regular self-monitoring of your blood glucose is strongly advised. Low blood sugar levels (known as a "hypo":wink: are dangerous, and may lead to fainting or fits if left untreated.Feeling dizzy, sweaty and disoriented may all suggest a hypo. If a person with diabetes has these symptoms, they should immediately have a sugary drink, or place sugar or a sugar-rich sweet below their tongue.Fasting and a headacheThis common problem has many causes. Headaches during a fast could be due to dehydration or hunger, poor rest, or the absence of addictive substances, such as caffeine or nicotine.A moderate and balanced diet, especially not missing the pre-dawn meal, taking in enough fluids and, if necessary, some painkillers such as paracetamol, can help prevent or reduce the risk of getting a headache.Headaches can also be prevented by not exposing yourself to direct sunlight, wearing a hat when out, using sunglasses to reduce the effect of glare from the sun and relieving any tense muscles with a short, gentle massage.Fasting and dehydrationDehydration is common during a fast. The body continues to lose water and salts through breathing, perspiring and urinating.If you don’t drink sufficiently before a fast, your risk of dehydration increases. This risk is higher in older people and in those taking tablets, such as diuretics.If you are unable to stand up due to dizziness, or you are disoriented, you should urgently drink regular, moderate quantities of water ideally with sugar and salt or Dioralyte or Lucozade.If you faint due to dehydration, your legs should be raised above your head by others, and when you awake, you should urgently rehydrate as outlined above.Fasting and constipationWhen you are fasting, being active, drinking water regularly and eating healthily (during the times when you are not fasting) will help to keep your bowel motions regular. Include lots of fruit and vegetables in your diet and increase the fibre content of your food using bran. If the problem persists, a short course of laxatives may help.Fasting and stressLack of food and water, changes of routine and shorter periods of sleep can cause stress. It’s important to deal with any potential sources of stress to stop any harmful effects. This can be helped by not taking on more than you can handle, not playing sports in the hot sun, controlling your anger and not smoking.Fasting and weight controlFood consumed during the pre-dawn and dusk meals may lead to some unintended weight gain

As for what I just highlighter from your essay, which lacks so much knowledge!

For example, the QURAAN was not written by a "group of uneducated medieval men" It was written from God.

Now you can't just bash another religion, since your points do not even make sense!

The Bible was written by men themselves, even still, they are for fasting. AND I QUOTE, "Biblical fasting is a spiritual discipline which was encouraged by Jesus, Himself, while He was on earth. When questioned as to why the Pharisees and the disciples of John the Baptist fasted while Jesus disciples did not, Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast” (Matthew 9:15). "
cant believe you asked that kind of question, might aswell not call yourself Muslim at all..
Haha, so you're going to use what the NHS believes, to change my mind about MY religion?

I think the NHS and the religion are actually on the same page here. The NHS extract seems to be aimed at those people taking medication or those who have some type of medical condition, which can be made worse by fasting. The NHS recommends some not to fast altogether and take medication. It advises others to break their fast if certain symptons appear. From a religious standpoint, there doesn't seem to be a contradiction because ill people don't have to fast.
Original post by EllainKahlo
It makes no sense for people on here to completely ignore your wishes and tell you to do it 'just because' and disregard the fact you have already said you aren't practicing. They have the same outlook as your mother and it's wrong. I've been told by Muslim aquaintances in the past that I should just 'do it because' as well, which makes no logical sense - it only made me see the reasons for not doing it even clearer. And the scare tactics, saying you're going to hell, is really pathetic. If your heart isn't in it, God already knows. So why torture yourself?

As Muslims it's obligatory to share with our brother and sisters in Islam and in humanity what we love for our selfs.

Only those who fast purely for the sake of God expecting no praise or reward in return from anyone besides Allah are the ones that can tell you the joy of fasting and worship. If the kings/billionaires/celebrities knew the joy we experience in the worship of Allah they would try to start competing as that joy renders the materialistic joy to absolute zero.

May Allah guide me and you and soften our hearts in humility and get rid of this arrogance and pride we behold.

Did you think that We had created you in play, and that you would not be brought back to Us?

Quran 23:115
(edited 7 years ago)

Scientists believe that fasting can tackle kidney disease, and dementia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2107299/Can-fasting-days-week-stop-dementia-It-sounds-far-fetched-scientists-think-slashing-calories-combat-host-illnesses.html

He then discovers what he calls the 5-2 diet. Eat for 5 days as normal and fast for 2 days. He gives this a go for a few months. The results show that he not only lost well over a stone in weight but significantly reduced his body fat. His IGF-1 reduced by 50%, his glucose dropped to a good level, and his bad cholesterol dropped with his good cholesterol increasing. Therefore he cut the risks he had of getting diseases but if he continues, he doesn’t have to take tablets at all.In conclusion he discovers the following:1. Good health and longevity in age lies in diet food matters.
2. Fasting can be done best according to the 5-2 diet system.
3. Fasting makes you healthier.
4. Fasting makes you sharper.
5. Fasting is not everybody certain people shouldn’t fast, for example a pregnant woman he mentions.

http://muslimvillage.com/2013/03/13/36895/scientists-prove-fasting-the-secret-to-living-longer/

The LIST goes on.

I will continue to believe as I wish, you do as you wish. Yet, you have also been warned.

Look I'm gonna hold my hands up in the air and admit it. I do fast, basically everyday. I end up skipping breakfast and lunch and don't have dinner until like 9pm. That doesn't mean its healthy. Its very very unhealthy in fact and can increase weight gain. There are only mild advantages to fasting but only if you still eat at least 600 calories on that day. Otherwise your body reduced its metabolism so you have less energy because it thinks "OK, no food, better go into energy conservation mode". That means you have less energy to move, think etc. so you are less productive, efficient and alert.

Furthermore, you ARE NOT SERIOUSLY quoting me the dailymail. You did not just do that. You expect me to believe the dailymail over the NHS! Are you a lunatic?! The Daily mail is just sensationalism designed to sell papers and make money, whereas the NHS is actually in existence to improve people's health so.... there you go.

And I might have quoted the NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Healthyramadan/Pages/fastinghealthrisks.aspx

But you quoted us a passage from a religious text! So I don't see how that proves anything either (and I don't accept that quoting the NHS website doesn't prove anything, it absolutely does). You justify your argument with the teachings of a medieval text, whereas I justify mine with modern medical advice from an independent body whose vested interest is in improving the health of people in Britain.

And I don't expect you to change your mind about your religion, if you want to believe an outdated ideology then that's up to you, just don't try to justify your beliefs to other people using your own book. That would be like a communist justifying communism with the communist manifesto or a facist justifying racism with main Kampf. You can't do it, you make think it justifies what you say because you believe it but it won't convince others. At least try and prove your belief with real evidence. Your response was a little better, but you still ended up quoting the DailyMail, I mean seriously? SERIOUSLY!
Original post by kraixo
as muslims it's obligatory to share with our brother and sisters in islam and in humanity what we love for our selfs.

Only those who fast purely for the sake of god expecting no praise or reward in return from anyone besides allah are the ones that can tell you the joy of fasting and worship. If the kings/billionaires/celebrities knew the joy we experience in the worship of allah they would try to start competing as that joy renders the materialistic joy to absolute zero.

May allah guide me and you and soften our hearts in humility and get rid of this arrogance and pride we behold.

did you think that we had created you in play, and that you would not be brought back to us?

quran 23:115

mashallah
Original post by Kraixo
As Muslims it's obligatory to share with our brother and sisters in Islam and in humanity what we love for our selfs.

Only those who fast purely for the sake of God expecting no praise or reward in return from anyone besides Allah are the ones that can tell you the joy of fasting and worship. If the kings/billionaires/celebrities knew the joy we experience in the worship of Allah they would try to start competing as that joy renders the materialistic joy to absolute zero.

May Allah guide me and you and soften our hearts in humility and get rid of this arrogance and pride we behold.

I hope he doesn't, because but he's not my God. There is no we, there is a you and a me.

Every human wants to share beliefs that they agree with. That doesn't make any of those beliefs acceptable, real or true. But to assume that you know the divine answers of the world and others do not, that is proof of your arrogance right there. You obviously do expect praise and reward if you're following the laws of someone or something you believe has power over you. You expect to go to paradise don't you? And that is a reward for being a good follower, so don't act like it's out of the goodness of your heart. While you have the right to tell people about your faith, I have the right to tell you why I disagree and will not join in it.

I had flyers handed to me from Catholics and non-denominational Christians today the minute I stepped out of my door, telling me I should repent. What makes you right and them wrong?
Original post by Kraixo

Did you think that We had created you in play, and that you would not be brought back to Us?

Quran 23:115

Only those who truly appreciate the beauty of a world without a celestial creator are enlightened, all others simply recoil into darkness claiming sanctuary for their perturbation.
OP, look, allah isn't real. And even if he was he wouldn't send you to hell for something as petty smd ridiculous as not fasting and choosing to have a vomit smelling breath, he probably needs a nose peg to stop him smelling all the muslims breath when their praying to him. no one has the right to tell you your a bad muslim or that your not a muslim at all. islam says only god can judge so their sinning themselves if they make takfir on you or try to shame you. dont listen to their proud, hypocrisy because chances are it'll be them in the hellfire and not you

Truth is we will all find ourselves 6ft below and being eaten by maggots. Or burning in a cremation chamber and our ashes scattered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending