The Student Room Group

Can you post random products on this thread? :)

Hey,
Basically i have a PD exam in a few days (AS) so i was wondering if you could just post pictures of products (please not too obscure, just random everyday things) and i will try to identify what materials they are made from, why and how they would be manufactured. Thank you :smile: you would be doing me a favour because yes i can get the products myself but this is quite an effective way of me testing myself :smile:
thanks x

Some random people :colondollar:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I shall start off:

1)Pencil Box:

Material = Duplex board
Why? =
-Can be die cut
-Can be printed onto
-Lightweight
-Cheaper than plastic
-Is a compliant material so can be bent into shape easily by hand

How it would be manufactured =
1)Packaging designed on CAD software
2) Sheet of duplex board printed onto using offset lithography
3)Die cut into the net (including Euro slot)
4)Net folded up by hand and glued on a production line
Not sure what kind of products you're asking for, so maybe point me in the right direction if I'm too far out? :colondollar:

Spoiler

More stuff :woo:

Spoiler

Why does it break easily, Miss Cav? :redface:

Thank you so much Bjorn :hugs:
gonna be totally honest never learnt about tennis balls but applying what i know here is my best guess:

2)Tennis Ball

Material = Rubber (i'm assuming here..)
Why? =
-Can bounce, important for a tennis ball
-Tough so won't break or split when dropped
-Can be moulded into the spherical shape
-Lightweight (because hollow) so can be hit far

1)Rubber rotationally moulded (heated whilst in a spherical mould rotating through all axis then cooled until it solidifies)
2)When cool outside of rubber ball coated with epoxy resin? (seems like a good bet as they are two contrasting materials) and the felt adheres to the surface of the ball

Original post by TheOtherSide.
Not sure what kind of products you're asking for, so maybe point me in the right direction if I'm too far out? :colondollar:

Spoiler

Thank you so much :jumphug: and no that is perfect <3

3)Metal Chair
Material = Mild Steel
Why? =
-Can be powder coated
-Available in tubular standard form sections
-Strong in compression (so wont break when sat on)
-Can be TIG/MIG/Arc welded
-Tough

How would it be manufactured? =
1) Tubular standard form sections ordered
2) All steel sections plastic powder dip coated
3) Holes drilled where necessary on the tubes using a jig and pillar dill
4) Using a tube bender (yes it really is called that :rofl:) the legs would be bent into shape
5) The legs welded together by TIG or MIG welding (as a neat seam would be required)
6) Pop rivets inserted into the hinges (could also use solid)
7) Seat would probably be cupped into shape and back made by press forming
8) Little rubber feet would be injection moulded out of thermoplastic elastomer or rubber and attached to the bottom of the legs
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CoolCavy
Thank you so much Bjorn :hugs:
gonna be totally honest never learnt about tennis balls but applying what i know here is my best guess:

2)Tennis Ball

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4899206_how-tennis-balls-made.html

Ty bear :ahee:
(i suppose my method would work :ninja:)
will answer the rest now :yes:
X

From the vast amounts of information you gave about these items, it looks like you'll do amazingly in your PD exam. :hugs:

Another one:

Spoiler

Marsvin did you reach 11 ?
Original post by the bear
Marsvin did you reach 11 ?

yes bear :redface:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Woah congrats on being the first female to reach 11! :adore: :woo: :dance:

Spoiler

Well I think Celebrations..
cadbury_celebration150-1000x1000.jpg
... are in order! What is all the packaging made of and how is it manufactured!? (Plastic tray inside too)

The clothes rack
Sorry for the delays people :colondollar:

More stuff :woo:

Spoiler

Thank you :jumphug:

ok so:

3)Ring Binder:
Material = Duplex board again (of a thicker grade than before)
Why? =
-Cheaper than plastic
-Compliant material (can be bent into shape)
-Can be printed onto and can be varnished (if you want a glossy folder)
-Quite durable can withstand some knocks

How it would be Manufactured =
1)Folder designed on CAD software
2)Printed onto using offset lithography (if you wanted a pattern)
3)Varnished (using UV varnish if possible) for a glossy finish and to make the folder more hardwearing and resistant to moisture
4)Die cut into the required shape and alter the pressure so that the seams are only partially cut (scored) so that the folder can be bent into shape
5)Using a punch, punch where the holes would be for the pop rivets
6)The lever arch would likely be made out of chrome plated mild steel (wont bend etc) and the steel would likely be casted using gravity die casting or the lost wax process (wouldn't be hot or cold chamber die casted because the dies themselves are steel). they would then be chrome plated using electrolysis
7)The metal bit at the back would likely be press formed into shape and drilled using a metal pillar drill made out of high speed steel and then the pop rivets inserted into the metal back bit and the duplex board

i think
Original post by SeanFM
Why does it break easily, Miss Cav? :redface:

Oooh that is a hard one Sean :lol: tbh i'm not quite sure how they would make that (we don't learn about electronics :colondollar: but i'll give the casing a go :yes:) and they break easily because some soft fools drop them in their tea :rofl:

4)Headphones:

Material = Tbh could literally be made out of any thermoplastic (apart from acrylic because you can injection mould that) so let's go for polypropylene cos that is a good all rounder :smile:
Why =
-Thermo plastic so can be injection moulded
-Can be coloured with the use of pigments and dyes
-Quite tough and durable
-A thermoplastic elastomer could be added to make the headphones more ergonomical to use
-Any type of plastic is a good electrical insulator so idiots like me don't get electrocuted when they suck the tea out :ahee:

1) Injection moulded :lol: (in an exam these answers would be far too short and i would describe the stages of injection moulding but it is nearly 10pm so i will just supply a diagram :rofl:):

That diagram isn't great though because it doesn't have a hydraulic ram which is what it needs to push the plastic into the mould, otherwise it looks like the archimedian screw is doing it which it isn't because it isn't extrusion :nah:

From the vast amounts of information you gave about these items, it looks like you'll do amazingly in your PD exam. :hugs:

Another one:

Spoiler

Awwww :cry2: thank you lovely :hugs: these are only section A/B section type questions but i can't really practise C section questions on here.
omgg that is hard :rofl:
ok my best guess:

5)Toothpaste tube:
Material = Aluminium is my best guess tbh with a polypropylene cap
Why? =
-Aluminium is a very soft malleable material which allows the tube to be squeezed easily
-It is a non-ferrous material so won't corrode when the toothpaste is in contact with the inside
-Can be anodised so allows it to be coloured

In all honesty i don't know but applying what i know...
1)I suspect it would be made out of some thick aluminium foil so it would start life as a sheet
2)This sheet would then be blanked into the required shape
3)Would then be folded up by some poor soul on a production line
4)Cap would be injection moulded as it is a small intricate shape

tbh that is a guess :lol: gonna look that up in a bit :hugs:

Wow that is a big product :rofl: ok so:
6)Desk:
Material = Mild steel frame with laminated MDF desk and drawers
Why? =
-MDF is a manmade board so will not warp as easily as natural wood which is very important for a desk as it has to be totally level and flat
-Cheaper than natural timber
-Available in large sheets of varying thicknesses and standard forms (important as the product is large)
-Can be laminated with a natural wood veneer to improve the aesthetics and protect the desk from spillages etc
-Mild steel would be used for the frame as it is strong in compression so wont break under the weight of people using the desk
-Can be arc/TIG/MIG welded together to make the shape of the frame
-Available in rectangular sections so can create the shape of the frame

i'll edit in the rest in a sec cos got stomach ache :rofl: x

part 2 :lol::
1)The desk and drawers would be made out of sheets of MDF. This MDF would be laminated using a veneer of natural wood and this would be done using a vacuum bag press and PVA glue
2)They would be cut using an industrial band saw probably or a CNC router to the required shape
3)The holes for the cup holders would be drilled using a pillar drill
4)The cup holder would be injection moulded out of polystyrene (not the white bitty thing that is expanded polystyrene) and coloured brown using pigments and dyes
5)The legs would be made out of rectangular sections of plastic dip coated mild steel and welded together using TIG/MIG welding
6)Little injection moulded feet would be added
(edited 7 years ago)

Wow that is a big product :rofl: ok so:
6)Desk:
Material = Mild steel frame with laminated MDF desk and drawers
Why? =
-MDF is a manmade board so will not warp as easily as natural wood which is very important for a desk as it has to be totally level and flat
-Cheaper than natural timber
-Available in large sheets of varying thicknesses and standard forms (important as the product is large)
-Can be laminated with a natural wood veneer to improve the aesthetics and protect the desk from spillages etc
-Mild steel would be used for the frame as it is strong in compression so wont break under the weight of people using the desk
-Can be arc/TIG/MIG welded together to make the shape of the frame
-Available in rectangular sections so can create the shape of the frame

Very impressive! Good luck with your exam! :smile:
OH MY GOD, why did I not get a notification when you mentioned me :sigh:

Anyhow, as late as I am on this thread, its never too late to revise, Cavy.

So here is my present to you.

Spoiler

Quite literally. :mmm:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Very impressive! Good luck with your exam! :smile:

Thank you bud :hugs: x

Original post by Student403
Well I think Celebrations..
cadbury_celebration150-1000x1000.jpg
... are in order! What is all the packaging made of and how is it manufactured!? (Plastic tray inside too)

:lol: ty Student :colondollar:
ok so
7) Sweet box and Tray:
Material = Box made from duplex board and the tray is made from LDPE (low density polyethene)
Why? =
-Duplex board can be printed onto using offset lithography, important as the packaging is purple
-Duplex board is a compliant material so can be bent into shape easily
-Duplex board and LDPE are both lightweight which is important for packaging (part of PICTPD is transporting)
-Recyclable (as packaging is only used once)

1)Box designed on CAD software
2)Duplex board printed onto using offset lithography
3)Die cut into shape
4)Folded on a production line
5)LDPE tray could be made using vacuum forming over a former (in an exam i would say how the former was made but tired now :lol:)

Original post by homeland.lsw

The clothes rack

8)Clothes Rack
Material = Chrome plated mild steel (could also be an aluminium alloy tbf)
Why? =
-Chrome plating has a very attractive shiny finish like the one in the picture
-Steel is very strong in tension (i realise i have been saying compression in this thread, that is strictly wrong as concrete is strong in compression not steel) which allows the clothes to be hung onto it without it bending
-Lightweight due to the tubular sections which allows it to be moved around easily (useful because it is on wheels)
-The chrome plating stops it oxidising in any environment (because the steel would rust even indoors)

How it would be made =
1)Tubular steel ordered from supplier
2)Chrome plated using electrolysis
3)TIG/MIG welded to each other (no tube bending as all the tubes are straight) please note that if this was an aluminium alloy it couldn't be arc welded at all
4)The wheel grips could be cold/hot chamber die casted if they were aluminium alloy. If they were steel they would have to be lost wax cast then chrome plated
5)The wheels would probably be injection moulded out of any thermoplastic tbh but ABS or PP would be good to use as they are both tough and ABS is hard also

Original post by ||TheUnknown||
OH MY GOD, why did I not get a notification when you mentioned me :sigh:Anyhow, as late as I am on this thread, its never too late to revise, Cavy.So here is my present to you.

Spoiler

Quite literally. :mmm:
Awwww bless you hunny :kissing2: thank you sweetie :hugs:I'm going to assume there is a hardback book in the package for the purpose of this question :yes:

9)Book and Packaging:
Material = The hardback would be made out of solid white board and the packaging just regular brown parcel paper
Why? =
-Solid white board although expensive is very tough and durable so can survive knocks and bashes
-Solid white board also looks good aesthetically and looks upmarket and like a 'luxury item'
-Brown parcel paper is cheaper than plastic
-Brown parcel paper also gives the product a 'rustic' 'homemade' feel that may appeal to some consumers
-Makes it look more like a gift item

1)Front cover of the book designed on CAD software (probably photoshop tbh)
2)Printed onto the solid white board using lithography
3)Cover of the book would be varnished with UV varnish to protect the cover and give it a glossy feel. May also have been hot foil blocked to create gold and silver lettering. May have also been embossed depending on how decorative the client wanted the cover to be (each process increases the price)
4)Die cut into shape
5)Pages of the book adhered to the cover using contact adhesive (EVO-STICK)
6)Packaged by hand using parcel paper
oh and the lil hearts would probably have been die cut or cut by hand using fabric scissors and a laser cut template (more accurate)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending