The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, actually looking at it we got to 10070 posts before it got closed. It is closed to new posts but can still be viewed, not sure why that wouldn't break the site any more than leaving it open to editing tbh but there you go.

Can we just clarify the winning criterion. Which should it be?
Original post by Associativity
Yeah, actually looking at it we got to 10070 posts before it got closed. It is closed to new posts but can still be viewed, not sure why that wouldn't break the site any more than leaving it open to editing tbh but there you go.

Can we just clarify the winning criterion. Which should it be?

I believe tradition has it that the winner is post 10k. :yes: How are you btw?
Original post by iEthan
I believe tradition has it that the winner is post 10k. :yes: How are you btw?

This is indeed the tradition, so lets stick to this :smile:

I'm great thanks. Now that exams are over anyway! I've just started to self study some stuff both relevant to my masters/phd course I'm starting in september, as well as some stuff that I just want to know anyway. I managed to avoid it this year, but in previous years I've kind of procrastinated by studying stuff that wasn't relevant to my degree, but that I just wanted to learn! Strange really, but learning beautiful mathematics is really fun when you're not under pressure, but really stressful when you have tonnes of work and tight deadlines!

How are you?
This is indeed the tradition, so lets stick to this :smile:

I'm great thanks. Now that exams are over anyway! I've just started to self study some stuff both relevant to my masters/phd course I'm starting in september, as well as some stuff that I just want to know anyway. I managed to avoid it this year, but in previous years I've kind of procrastinated by studying stuff that wasn't relevant to my degree, but that I just wanted to learn! Strange really, but learning beautiful mathematics is really fun when you're not under pressure, but really stressful when you have tonnes of work and tight deadlines!

How are you?

I forget you're a mathmo :moon: life's OK I guess :yep: exams are stressful but I'm doing OK. I'm worried I'm overworking myself significantly though. Then again, I'm a workaholic, so I'm not complaining. :tongue:

I do that too, I once spent an entire week researching Japanese language syntax… I don't speak Japanese (or watch anime, etc. etc.), their grammar just intrigued me. :lol: Such a linguist… Procrastination can be fun AND informative! Who knew? :tongue: What're you going to study for your PhD? Must be daunting and exciting at the same time?
Original post by iEthan
I forget you're a mathmo :moon: life's OK I guess :yep: exams are stressful but I'm doing OK. I'm worried I'm overworking myself significantly though. Then again, I'm a workaholic, so I'm not complaining. :tongue:

I do that too, I once spent an entire week researching Japanese language syntax… I don't speak Japanese (or watch anime, etc. etc.), their grammar just intrigued me. :lol: Such a linguist… Procrastination can be fun AND informative! Who knew? :tongue: What're you going to study for your PhD? Must be daunting and exciting at the same time?

It's basically a masters and phd all in one, it's all to do with communications. The scheme is kind of a new approach, it's like a small with a small cohort. The department is working on 5G mobile phone networks and wifi at the minute, all very current technologies. Not too daunting, but I need to study some stuff for it at least.

What are you thinking of going on to do after you graduate?
It's basically a masters and phd all in one, it's all to do with communications. The scheme is kind of a new approach, it's like a small with a small cohort. The department is working on 5G mobile phone networks and wifi at the minute, all very current technologies. Not too daunting, but I need to study some stuff for it at least.

What are you thinking of going on to do after you graduate?

That sounds very interesting! I've studied the theory behind cellular networking etc. but not the maths behind it because I'm hopeless at maths. I can only code because it's basic logic and I can cope with that… Hope it all goes well!

Now, that's the question. The idea of working with the European Commission or with HM Courts is really attractive to me. I fear I may have to go into teaching though, I don't want to. So I hope it doesn't come to that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iEthan
That sounds very interesting! I've studied the theory behind cellular networking etc. but not the maths behind it because I'm hopeless at maths. I can only code because it's basic logic and I can cope with that… Hope it all goes well!

Now, that's the question. The idea of working with the European Commission or with HM Courts is really attractive to me. I fear I may have to go into teaching though, I don't want to. So I hope it doesn't come to that.

That sounds interesting, so you'd be the guy on the end of the phone doing the translations in court.
That sounds interesting, so you'd be the guy on the end of the phone doing the translations in court.

Indeed I would be :rofl: I reckon I'd need to go ahead and do a Masters in Translation though. The costs and complications with that terrify me, but it's something I'll tackle when I arrive there… I hope I'll be good enough :lol:
Original post by iEthan
Indeed I would be :rofl: I reckon I'd need to go ahead and do a Masters in Translation though. The costs and complications with that terrify me, but it's something I'll tackle when I arrive there… I hope I'll be good enough :lol:

In science generally postgraduate courses are funded (by the university/research councils, i.e free) because you're doing research, but I'm not sure if that happens in languages. I hear that they are bringing in postgraduate loans though, not sure what the fine details of those are though.
In science generally postgraduate courses are funded (by the university/research councils, i.e free) because you're doing research, but I'm not sure if that happens in languages. I hear that they are bringing in postgraduate loans though, not sure what the fine details of those are though.

That's lucky! Also, second point is verrrryyy interesting :beard: will keep an eye on that. I can't really afford postgrad, as much as I'd like to. My job and wages just won't cover it with over costs… :erm:
Original post by iEthan
That's lucky! Also, second point is verrrryyy interesting :beard: will keep an eye on that. I can't really afford postgrad, as much as I'd like to. My job and wages just won't cover it with over costs… :erm:

I think the post grad loans will work in a similar way to the undergrad ones, but I'm not sure, you'd have to look.
Original post by iEthan
...but, truthfully I really want AJ to win it :lol:

:zomg: :hugs:

Latest