The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE maths, give each other questions to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phat-chewbacca
Sorry my fault the which is xcm as they stated that in the question. I must have put 8cm by accident. I have edited my written explanation and changed it to xcm. Sorry about that!
x=11.8, x=2.2, this is what I got, is this right?
Original post by Ano123
You've only put one answer down? (Try and stick to exact values as well).
It may be useful to explain why you have rejected 2 answers.
Another solution to the quartic equation is -0.75 (2dp). Also you cannot take the square root of a negative number that is why I had discarded that solution.
Reply 62
Another solution to the quartic equation is -0.75 (2dp). Also you cannot take the square root of a negative number that is why I had discarded that solution.

Very good. I'll have to try and come up with a very difficult question but struggling to do it at the moment.
Original post by hamza772000
x=11.8, x=2.2, this is what I got, is this right?
Thats correct bro! If you want PM me and I will give you my Skype. I will try and help you with any questions that you struggle with! Not long time exam now!
Original post by Ano123
Very good. I'll have to try and come up with a very difficult question but struggling to do it at the moment.
Give me a C1/C2 question :biggrin::biggrin:
Thats correct bro! If you want PM me and I will give you my Skype. I will try and help you with any questions that you struggle with! Not long time exam now!
Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate your help.:h:
Reply 66
Give me a C1/C2 question :biggrin::biggrin:

Ok. I'll try and think of one. That's a bit easier for me to come up with a question because it's so restricted with GCSE.
Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate your help.:h:
No worries. Good luck on Thursday!
Original post by Ano123
Ok. I'll try and think of one. That's a bit easier for me to come up with a question because it's so restricted with GCSE.
Thanks a lot much appreciated!
No worries. Good luck on Thursday!
Good Luck to you too! You probably won't need it though.:smile:
Good Luck to you too! You probably won't need it though.:smile:
I do need it as we all make silly mistakes. I'm not perfect!
What topics (A/A*) do you guys think will come up for GCSE maths this year (edexcel)?

I think we'll see the non-linear 5/6 mark simultaneous equations and a question on completing the square, e.g. x^2-8x+6 can be written in the form (x-p)+q. Find p and q - which isn't really hard.

Also, maybe some surd questions like rationalising the denominator.

(and of course f(x) tranformation graphs and/or sin/cos graphs, vectors, and maybe the simultaneous equation graphs again)
Also, maybe changing the subject of the formula.

June 2015 also had 0 questions on circle theorems so I think we'll see them too.
(edited 7 years ago)
I do need it as we all make silly mistakes. I'm not perfect!
True
Original post by ScrewTheExams
What topics (A/A*) do you guys think will come up for GCSE maths this year (edexcel)?

I think we'll see the non-linear 5/6 mark simultaneous equations and a question on completing the square, e.g. x^2-8x+6 can be written in the form (x-p)+q. Find p and q - which isn't really hard.

Also, maybe some surd questions like rationalising the denominator.

(and of course f(x) tranformation graphs and/or sin/cos graphs, vectors, and maybe the simultaneous equation graphs again)
Also, maybe changing the subject of the formula.

June 2015 also had 0 questions on circle theorems so I think we'll see them too.

The 2015 November re-sit had a circle theorems triangle congruency proof as the last question. Personally I hope they don't crop up!
Original post by moggygeorgieee
The 2015 November re-sit had a circle theorems triangle congruency proof as the last question. Personally I hope they don't crop up!

Yeah I saw that! But I think there's a high chance that we'll get a circle theorems. They've also appeared multiple times on both edexcel mock papers for spring and autumn, one of them was a 5 marker on proving that an angle of a sector is equal to one of the angles at the tangent or something similar.

I think we'll get a few of the easier ones like the 3 marks questions (where we also state the reasons), but I have this weird feeling we'll get a 5 marker or 'prove that' / congruency one :biggrin:

June 2015 had literally 0 questions on circle theorems which is unheard of, usually there's at least 1 or 2 every year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Thanks a lot much appreciated!

Here's one. Let's see what you make of it. Probably easy work for you.
The ellipse, E  \text{ E } , has equation
(x1)2+3y2=9 \displaystyle (x-1)^2 + 3y^2=9 .

Find the values of k k such that the line, L \text{L} , with equation
y=x+k \displaystyle y=x+k
is tangent to E \text{E} .
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ScrewTheExams
Yeah I saw that! But I think there's a high chance that we'll get a circle theorems. They've also appeared multiple times on both edexcel mock papers for spring and autumn, one of them was a 5 marker on proving that an angle of a sector is equal to one of the angles at the tangent or something similar.

I think we'll get a few of the easier ones like the 3 marks questions (where we also state the reasons), but I have this weird feeling we'll get a 5 marker or 'prove that' / congruency one :biggrin:

I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Edexcel will take a diversion from confusing questions to prevent another situation like when Hannah's sweets put the whole country up in arms for a week.
Reply 77
I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that Edexcel will take a diversion from confusing questions to prevent another situation like when Hannah's sweets put the whole country up in arms for a week.

To be honest though that question was fine and perfectly ok to put in the paper. It should not have caused so many problems.

Hopefully! I just want an easy paper like june 2010, or for me june 2014, or the easiest paper that I found - november 2014.

But to be honest, if we get a paper like june 2015 or even harder then the grade boundaries will be low again, so it might not be that hard to get an A*. 155 for A* was a joke last year, it honestly wasn't that hard to get that - there were only a small number of questions that were hard (if you revised).

Well, the papers have been made ages ago, so all we can do is hope for the best! :biggrin:

Good luck to you. :biggrin:
Original post by Ano123
To be honest though that question was fine and perfectly ok to put in the paper. It should not have caused so many problems.

Yes - but it caused enough glares toward Edexcel from the general public. Maybe they might finish off the spec with a bang ... who knows?? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest