The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering - take gap year(to do Physics) or go through adjustment?

I done poorly last year for my AS exams. I never put in enough work, was demotivated and thus performed badly.Started doing my work at around early July last year and have been consistent with my work and I feel as if I will get 2 A*'s and an A in Maths, Further Maths and Economics respectively.I applied to relatively low universities as my idea was that if just incase I wanted to go university this September, I could apply through adjustment with good grades or else I could take a gap year.The problem is, I don't do Physics. The best university I can go to without Physics is probably Manchester which I believe is a good university. Should I go to Manchester? Or should I take a gap year and apply to other universities whilst doing Physics in my gap year. Universities such as Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Southampton?What do you think?Thanks.
Original post by sjaan
Should I go to Manchester? Or should I take a gap year and apply to other universities whilst doing Physics in my gap year. Universities such as Imperial, Bath, Bristol and Southampton?What do you think?Thanks.

Hi there!

Manchester is a great university, and I'm sure you'd like it there and do well. I think you should figure out which you'd prefer: going to a different university or starting university a year earlier. If you're taking a year out to do Physics and apply to other places, it may make sense to have a solid idea of what you want to do during that year. Will you boost your application more with extra-curriculars/other classes? Will you be working full time to save up?

Physics is usually a mandatory class to take for any Engineering course, although, in my experience, it's not nearly as important as maths. You may want to email other universities directly and ask about entry without Physics, on the off chance they may consider you. (I'd imagine if you were to be considered, it'd be after they placed those with Physics first, but it's worth an email regardless).

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest