The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
Would be really interesting to know the actual truth about immigrant numbers and impact. Latest is that apparently they put a huge strain on the NHS. Surely most that migrate to the UK are young people in good health? Men between the age of 18-35 rarely need medical attention as far as I'm aware (statistically lower needs than the elderly, young and women I believe).

Maybe it's just the baby boom generation which is crippling the NHS as they reach older age and therefore need more healthcare?

agree that the elderly are putting far more strain on the NHS then current immigration.

Problem is that they are outside of the realms of acceptable criticism, seeing as they are most peoples grandparents, and credited with working all their lives to build the systems they know rely on, and have justified their care.

There is a lot wrong with the above, but that seems to be what the public tend to think.

Immigrants while a lot less of a burden, are a much easier target with a lot less complications to crises and point fingers at.

-- See the same in benifits. Immagrant benifits are tiny compared to elderly benefits, but you wont see any goverment or big media dare critisise the elderly/paying for them.
Original post by The.Joker
You guys should watch Grave of the Fireflies it's an awesome anime film. So sad and heartbreaking. :cry2:

Go-to film for those who think they wont cry at a cartoon. Love it.
Anime is just like every other type of media.. sometimes brilliant, sometimes ****, most of the time in the middle. The wierd thing though, is how it seems to polarize people more.

You get so many people who love animie and will watch it all the time.. And then others who absolutly hate it, and wont ever watch it.

Seems far more split then other media.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Anime is just like every other type of media.. sometimes brilliant, sometimes ****, most of the time in the middle. The wierd thing though, is how it seems to polarize people more.

You get so many people who love animie and will watch it all the time.. And then others who absolutly hate it, and wont ever watch it.

Seems far more split then other media.

Can't knock it until you've tried it though.

And once you've dipped into the anime world, there's no going back.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Can't knock it until you've tried it though.

And once you've dipped into the anime world, there's no going back.

I agree with the first part a lot - people are far to quick to judge anime before they have tried it. far more quick then with other types of media

But I disagree with the 2nd part - for me its exactly what I was talking about, anime is to polarizing, and people treat it differently to other types of film/tv. You ether are into it, and love it, or you dont. Thing is we don't have this kind of obsessive nature about other types of films.

For me its just like any other type, there are some good ones that I have seen and really like - there are some bad ones that I did not enjoy.. and if I see something that looks good, I will give it a go.

But there is no 'OH my god, now I have tried it I must love it and watch all of it..' Its just a type of media, that can be enjoyed among all media
I agree with the first part a lot - people are far to quick to judge anime before they have tried it. far more quick then with other types of media

But I disagree with the 2nd part - for me its exactly what I was talking about, anime is to polarizing, and people treat it differently to other types of film/tv. You ether are into it, and love it, or you dont. Thing is we don't have this kind of obsessive nature about other types of films.

For me its just like any other type, there are some good ones that I have seen and really like - there are some bad ones that I did not enjoy.. and if I see something that looks good, I will give it a go.

But there is no 'OH my god, now I have tried it I must love it and watch all of it..' Its just a type of media, that can be enjoyed among all media

My point is that there is just so much choice. And there's so much good choice. The great thing is that you only have to watch a twenty minute episode to get a taste of it. Many times I've come to the point where I thought I'd ran out of anime I can enjoy, but you dig a little deeper and bam, you got a whole new list in your notes.
agree that the elderly are putting far more strain on the NHS then current immigration.

Problem is that they are outside of the realms of acceptable criticism, seeing as they are most peoples grandparents, and credited with working all their lives to build the systems they know rely on, and have justified their care.

There is a lot wrong with the above, but that seems to be what the public tend to think.

Immigrants while a lot less of a burden, are a much easier target with a lot less complications to crises and point fingers at.

-- See the same in benifits. Immagrant benifits are tiny compared to elderly benefits, but you wont see any goverment or big media dare critisise the elderly/paying for them.

I think the second line is what I take issue with. That generation built systems which really mainly benefited them but never in a sustainable manner once they've gotten use out of it - you look at Uni (free before, extortionate now), housing (affordable for them, most struggle now), NHS being free (great for them but it won't be free when we're old because the system will be near collapse), defined benefit pensions (great pensions even now for them while businesses are crippled by those costs, already changed for us so we get way less) etc.

It's not like they are getting out what they put in, they put some stuff in but our generation will be paying off a lot of it.
Original post by Zerforax
I think the second line is what I take issue with. That generation built systems which really mainly benefited them but never in a sustainable manner once they've gotten use out of it - you look at Uni (free before, extortionate now), housing (affordable for them, most struggle now), NHS being free (great for them but it won't be free when we're old because the system will be near collapse), defined benefit pensions (great pensions even now for them while businesses are crippled by those costs, already changed for us so we get way less) etc.

It's not like they are getting out what they put in, they put some stuff in but our generation will be paying off a lot of it.

I agree- what I was trying to say is that they our outside the relm of mainstream critisism, as in, its unthinkable for the press or a public figure or goverment to heavily critisise the elderly generations

For me personally, I agree with you - there is a lot they have to answer for.

Unfortunatly as long as they are one of the biggest, and growing, voting blocks, I think we are stuck :frown:
I agree- what I was trying to say is that they our outside the relm of mainstream critisism, as in, its unthinkable for the press or a public figure or goverment to heavily critisise the elderly generations

For me personally, I agree with you - there is a lot they have to answer for.

Unfortunatly as long as they are one of the biggest, and growing, voting blocks, I think we are stuck :frown:

Oh completely. It's like how there is a huge attack on immigrants coming in to take benefits but not as much direct attack on white people who have generations of families on benefits who then typically have health issues relating to obesity, drink and drugs. Obviously there was focus on it for a bit and we had the government saying they were clamping down along with all those TV shows on it for a while but it's not the same level of outrage.

Certain groups of people you can/can't criticise.
Lol got my annual student loan breakdown through today - I officially owe nearly £47k (which will increase each month due to interest), and that's not even including the £10k loan I'm taking out to cover the tuition for my masters. Nice.
Damnnnn, times like this I'm rather glad to be Welsh. I'll be finishing a 4 year masters course with only 12k to pay back

Actually + whatever my maintenance loan is so a not as enjoyable 26k debt
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Wavefunction
Damnnnn, times like this I'm rather glad to be Welsh. I'll be finishing a 4 year masters course with only 12k to pay back

Actually + whatever my maintenance loan is so a not as enjoyable 26k debt

Mine is gonna be near £65,000 and that's living at home :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
Lol got my annual student loan breakdown through today - I officially owe nearly £47k (which will increase each month due to interest), and that's not even including the £10k loan I'm taking out to cover the tuition for my masters. Nice.

I assume that is including any payments you are this year. It's really shocking how much the difference is, I graduated in 2012 and owe around 22k now, the only good thing has been that the Base interest has been almost 0% and I think the Apr for student loans this year is only 0.9% So I think it will be around 220 the increase in debt this year. This really isn't too bad tbh
Original post by Zayn is Bae

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why so much?
Reply 3994
Original post by The Wavefunction
Why so much?

Because he wants to be a tooth mechanic
Original post by Zayn is Bae

Posted from TSR Mobile

pls confirm if u stunt on girls by telling them your level of student debt.
Original post by swirly
pls confirm if u stunt on girls by telling them your level of student debt.

Nah. Just waiting till placement and then dental nurses>>

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3997
image.jpeg

strong dates
I started paying my student loan back this year after I got a promotion at work, not sure how I feel about that.

Original post by little_wizard123
I've been tired for weeks. Don't feel like doing anything. New job is stressful but I imagine any other job would be more stressful.

Really hard cycle to get out of.

I feel like this some days, I actually find sitting down all day doing office based work is more tiring than a manual job.

I find it harder to motivate myself to go gym or do anything after work since I did a 9-5 office job.

Latest