The Student Room Group

So I think I might do 3 years in college now and change 2/3 subjects I study

So I'm currently doing As level exams in Maths with stats, Physics and Chemistry.
Next year I plan to drop both Chemistry and Physics. And pick up Further maths l(which I was meant to do this year), Computer Science and Btec 3D Design. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at University, but my options are Architecture/Architecture Engineering, maths and computer science degree, design engineeing, etc... I want to do something to do with producing technology and hardware as in futuristic. I basically just need feedback on what degrees I could do. I live in Birmingham and my parents are not going to let me move out...
Reply 1
Why wont your parents let you move out, that will limit you so much and you're an adult so you can do what you want

In terms of what degree you would be suited to, you've pretty much covered them all

Maybe take a look at:

Computer Science (straight degree)
Electronic Engineering
Computer Engineering
Artificial Intelligence
Mechatronics
Original post by OGGUS
So I'm currently doing As level exams in Maths with stats, Physics and Chemistry.
Next year I plan to drop both Chemistry and Physics. And pick up Further maths l(which I was meant to do this year), Computer Science and Btec 3D Design. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do at University, but my options are Architecture/Architecture Engineering, maths and computer science degree, design engineeing, etc... I want to do something to do with producing technology and hardware as in futuristic. I basically just need feedback on what degrees I could do. I live in Birmingham and my parents are not going to let me move out...

Tbh, you could pretty much do any degree within reason. I think a lot of people don't realise this. So, you wanted to do Accounting - you could. Yes, you've never done it but you've done similar subjects. On the other hand, something like English... You probably can't do that unless you do a foundation course or something.

Something to remember is that your personal statement plays a big part and it's about making yourself seem like you're interested in that course.
Reply 3
Original post by >Username<
Tbh, you could pretty much do any degree within reason. I think a lot of people don't realise this. So, you wanted to do Accounting - you could. Yes, you've never done it but you've done similar subjects. On the other hand, something like English... You probably can't do that unless you do a foundation course or something.

Something to remember is that your personal statement plays a big part and it's about making yourself seem like you're interested in that course.

I ain't spending 3 years of my life on a course I will hate, I will only pick a degree a do it if I truely like it because i ain't taking no student loan for nothing. But I see your point, personal statements can get you places.
Reply 4
Original post by yt7777
Why wont your parents let you move out, that will limit you so much and you're an adult so you can do what you want

In terms of what degree you would be suited to, you've pretty much covered them all

Maybe take a look at:

Computer Science (straight degree)
Electronic Engineering
Computer Engineering
Artificial Intelligence
Mechatronics

Defo not doing artificial intelligence I'm already against the technology. bit thanks I'll take a look at mechatronics, I've never heard of this before you mentioned it
Just be aware that many 'top' Unis will not accept A levels taken over 3 years - whatever the reason - and that this also will not look good on your eventual CV.
You could take artificial intelligence so that you can build an anti-SkyNet AI :P

If you want to build hardware tech, you should do Mechatronics or Robotics, or perhaps Electronic Engineering.
Reply 7
Original post by Jazzyboy
You could take artificial intelligence so that you can build an anti-SkyNet AI :P

If you want to build hardware tech, you should do Mechatronics or Robotics, or perhaps Electronic Engineering.

Okay thanks I'll defo do some research on mechatronics and robotics.
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Just be aware that many 'top' Unis will not accept A levels taken over 3 years - whatever the reason - and that this also will not look good on your eventual CV.

Would this include the University of Birmingham?
Reply 9
Original post by OGGUS
Defo not doing artificial intelligence I'm already against the technology. bit thanks I'll take a look at mechatronics, I've never heard of this before you mentioned it

Fair enough

Also if you;re adamant that you are going to live at home in b'ham, Aston do an Electromechanical Engineering degree that might be worth looking at or Computer Systems Engineering at Warwick, you also would be qualified to go to the uni of Birmingham for either CompSci or Electronic Eng.

Also if you are set on not relocating for uni you truly are limited to Birmingham, Warwick or Aston in terms of good unis as I would try to avoid Coventry, Wolverhapton, Worcester and B'ham City
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777
Fair enough

Also if you;re adamant that you are going to live at home in b'ham, Aston do an Electromechanical Engineering degree that might be worth looking at or Computer Systems Engineering at Warwick, you also would be qualified to go to the uni of Birmingham for either CompSci or Electronic Eng.

Also if you are set on not relocating for uni you truly are limited to Birmingham, Warwick or Aston in terms of good unis as I would try to avoid Coventry, Wolverhapton, Worcester and B'ham City

That's true with Unis, and thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest