The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature Revision

Hi, I have my first English lit paper on Monday 23rd May (on OMAM and unseen poetry) I've been doing past papers and got lots of flashcards on themes and characters but I still feel really unprepared. I have had a really bad teacher over these two years and am really stressing out over it because all of the other classes know exactly what to do. Please could I get advice on how to structure the essay question and how to actually answer the extract question. I would appreciate any advice, thank you so much.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocomad1999
Hi, I have my first English lit paper on Monday 23rd May (on OMAM and unseen poetry) I've been doing past papers and got lots of flashcards on themes and characters but I still feel really unprepared. I have had a really bad teacher over these two years and am really stressing out over it because all of the other classes know exactly what to do. Please could I get advice on how to structure the essay question and how to actually answer the extract question. I would appreciate any advice, thank you so much.

For something like an inspector calls you should make a grid with 5 key points about the characters with quotes. Then make a separate grid with all the themes in it. For poetry you could also make a grid with all the poems, layed out with the context, content, themes, images and the structure and form. So when your writing an essay. Make sure you lay it out like that but with more detail.
Original post by *Alisha*
For something like an inspector calls you should make a grid with 5 key points about the characters with quotes. Then make a separate grid with all the themes in it. For poetry you could also make a grid with all the poems, layed out with the context, content, themes, images and the structure and form. So when your writing an essay. Make sure you lay it out like that but with more detail.

That would be a great idea, thank you. I won't be able to do that for unseen poetry though because I don't know any of the poems which will come up.
That would be a great idea, thank you. I won't be able to do that for unseen poetry though because I don't know any of the poems which will come up.

Just look up any poems on the internet and without knowing any background information about it. Annotate it! Try to work out the meaning. I'm in year 10 by the way, revising for my mocks. Are you in year 11? If you're in year 10 want to revise together?
I got an A in English Lit, they key thing is learnign quotes and being able to analyse them!

I've got the same stuff as you tomorrow :frown:
Original post by 10studentlife
I got an A in English Lit, they key thing is learnign quotes and being able to analyse them!

Yeah, I think that I actually struggle with learning the quotes because as long as I know them, I'll be able to analyse them. Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by dontrevisefail
I've got the same stuff as you tomorrow :frown:

Yeah, I'm absolutely dreading it. I just feel that if I don't do well in English (lit) I may not have as many opportunities as I'd like. I have really high aspirations and am so determined to achieve them. :s-smilie:
For unseen poetry you just have to have an idea how to recognize techniques and the differences and similarities of the poems..however it's not just about finding the techniques-it's the how and why as well...so you'll have to think about the writer's craft and purpose....that's what I have been taught.. hope it goes well for you!

ok, extract questions used to be my number 1 pain in the neck.I've found peace with them, now.

So fear not. With my magical formula, this might be able to help you out.

the key to extract q's? Underline at LEAST 5-7 quotes. Then annotate them. For God's sake, ALWAYS ANNOTATE. (this should take 5 minutes)

Write in PARAGRAPHS. So i'd say, for each quote you talk about, do a serperate paragraph.

Link your ideas from the quotes back to the text as a whole(for atmosphere questions especially). This is very important if you want an A*

Sorry to hear you've had a bad teacher - I know the feeling, bud :^(
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
For unseen poetry you just have to have an idea how to recognize techniques and the differences and similarities of the poems..however it's not just about finding the techniques-it's the how and why as well...so you'll have to think about the writer's craft and purpose....that's what I have been taught.. hope it goes well for you!

Right, I understand what you mean, I have done a bit of practice and noticed that in some years they give you bullet points on what to analyse but not every year. Thank you for the advice! :smile:
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
ok, extract questions used to be my number 1 pain in the neck.I've found peace with them, now.

So fear not. With my magical formula, this might be able to help you out.

the key to extract q's? Underline at LEAST 5-7 quotes. Then annotate them. For God's sake, ALWAYS ANNOTATE. (this should take 5 minutes)

Write in PARAGRAPHS. So i'd say, for each quote you talk about, do a serperate paragraph.

Link your ideas from the quotes back to the text as a whole(for atmosphere questions especially). This is very important if you want an A*

Sorry to hear you've had a bad teacher - I know the feeling, bud :^(

OMG! That makes so much sense now, thank you so much :biggrin:. I always felt like I spent too much time on extract questions talking about things which are absolutely irrelevant.
Right, I understand what you mean, I have done a bit of practice and noticed that in some years they give you bullet points on what to analyse but not every year. Thank you for the advice! :smile:

Those are the old past papers..we will no longer get those bullet points...I dont know if u get them in the foundation tier..
Original post by LostGirlOnTheRun
Those are the old past papers..we will no longer get those bullet points...I dont know if u get them in the foundation tier..

Ah, okay. I had no idea that we won't get them. (My teacher has been telling us that we might! :frown:) I'm not doing foundation so.... yeah :smile:. Anyway, thanks for that, I wouldn't have known that.
Yeah, I'm absolutely dreading it. I just feel that if I don't do well in English (lit) I may not have as many opportunities as I'd like. I have really high aspirations and am so determined to achieve them. :s-smilie:

In the same boat as you
:s-smilie:
It will be fine, you can really talk about one point in so much detail and just make stuff up, as long as you go into lots of detail and KEEP TRACK OF TIME you will be fine
if you type in 'wjec english literature' on youtube it comes up with a guy who goes through how to structure each type of question (channels called 'the english teacher' i think). ahh the structure confuses me too so i've been looking at past example for wjec n like how other people structure it. i've heard different things about the extract q though so i'm not sure whether do it in one paragraph or multiple n ahh
Reply 17
Original post by Rjhepkenhdjd
if you type in 'wjec english literature' on youtube it comes up with a guy who goes through how to structure each type of question (channels called 'the english teacher' i think). ahh the structure confuses me too so i've been looking at past example for wjec n like how other people structure it. i've heard different things about the extract q though so i'm not sure whether do it in one paragraph or multiple n ahh

That youtube account is great. I would suggest several paragraphs so you can make several points and then the entire essay is more structured and extensive. Check out the examiner reports on WJEC's website; they really help t see what the examiner is looking for/
Reply 18

For of mice and men don't forget to make quite a bit of reference contextual aspects in your essay since this was introduced as an element we need to include last year! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dontrevisefail
In the same boat as you
:s-smilie:

Let's just hope that a really wide question comes up where you can talk about loads. You'll be fine :smile:
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending