The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Level English Literature: Poetry and Drama Fri 20 May AM

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone studying A Thousand Splendid Suns?
Original post by SonOfMorlock
on the individual essay's both grades give an E so i'd assume E overall

**** thats bad, do you know how many marks i would need for a atleast a D
Original post by SonOfMorlock
on the individual essay's both grades give an E so i'd assume E overall

This exam is so hard and no grade boundaries have officially been released so it is really hard to tell but 30/72 could be D/E border line maybe but hopefully you could push it up and it could be even higher because this exam is tough and no one really has a clue and 14/24 and 22/48 gave me a D/C kinda area
Original post by student9898
Omg i always get similiar grades too
i got 20/48 and 10/24 in my drama and poetry mock exam = 30/72
what grade would this be overall, does anyone know?

I'd say your marks are more of a D because band 5 if only 30 something out of 48 which is going to be an A, so maybe a D and if you try really hard tomorrow you could get a C or even a B just depends on all your techniques, this is what I'm relying on anyway, good luck!!
Original post by Remaine
I'm hoping a question comes up where I can make Giuseppe or Eat Me relevant. Loads of content there.

For Drama, I'm studying A Streetcar Named Desire, and here, we've taken the "gay reading" stance - the idea of a promiscuously gay writer (Williams) using a mouthpiece (Blanche) to exert his revenge on the heterosexual norm.

Can you explain your view of Williams using Blanche as a mouthpiece to exert his revenge on the heterosexual norm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys how are you revising? I'm going to go through theme quotes and poems i find hard idk how else to revise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Englishlit2016x
I'd say your marks are more of a D because band 5 if only 30 something out of 48 which is going to be an A, so maybe a D and if you try really hard tomorrow you could get a C or even a B just depends on all your techniques, this is what I'm relying on anyway, good luck!!

Thank you so much for the motivation. My issue is that I write down everything i know about the plays or poems and don't refer to the question or link it to other contextual factors. I hope I can get a C which can even out with my prose exam so overall a C :frown: :smile:

What are you studying?

I'm doing a streetcar named desire and the poem anthologies
Reply 27
Original post by una.7
any predictions for the poetry section? :smile:

omg im so scared,
hope its something on family relationships or eat me or whatever
Reply 28
Original post by dodgewc25
Okay so what AOs are marked for each section and what do they entale?

I'm doing Streetcar and the poetry but these are the AO's that we have been told:

For poetry:
AO1 : Articulate responses - use sophisticated vocab, language, grammar, paragraphs and interpretations backed with evidence.
AO2: Form, structure and language - analyse the devices the poet has used and how it adds meaning to the poem.
AO4: Explore connections between texts - keep switching between each poem and compare them with each other and the steer.

For Drama:AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO5
AO3: significance and influence of the context - what is going on at the time it was written
AO5: Explore literary texts informed by different interpretations - how literary areas like feminism for example help your understanding of the text
Me too! I'm doing streetcar and those poems too! And I'm aiming for a C too despite getting D's all year! And for streetcar I'm going to talk about context of women a lot, diversity and plastic theatre. In terms of poems ode to a greyson perry urn is freaking me out
Original post by cathartic
Can you explain your view of Williams using Blanche as a mouthpiece to exert his revenge on the heterosexual norm

Posted from TSR Mobile

William's uses Blanche as a mouthpiece as both of them are mentally ill, love men and enjoy indulging in sexual desires. Williams' sexual exploration was a form of escapism, just like Blanche, and allowed him to ignore the fact that although he was a great play write...he was a homosexual man in America and would never truly be accepted at the time. This is also the case for Blanche as she was a promiscuous woman who longed to be loved and respected but she could not be because she was not a Southern Belle. She tried to move away and change, the same way that Williams tried to move away and change his name but alas moving away was a not effective as it was both ended in their downfalls.If you also want to get a few AO3 contextual knowledge facts, you could refer to a few of his other books such as the Glass Menagerie where Laura was a mentally fragile young lady and she meets Jim, a heterosexual man who leads her on but is already married. You could also link it to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof where Maggie is also a fragile and insecure woman married to Brick, the American dream, who is also secretly gay. Stanley, Jim and Brick are all heterosexual men who have messed up women and all of the women are mentally ill. this is why the play is seen as being critical of heterosexual men.I really hope this helped. Good Luck for tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apologies for not responding on time - fortunately, one of the succeeding posts hit it right on the head.
Reply 32
Hi guys, I quoted one of the critical interpretations in the back of the book in the actual exam, do you think this is a form of plagiarism
Original post by jord14
Hi guys, I quoted one of the critical interpretations in the back of the book in the actual exam, do you think this is a form of plagiarism

Nope I don't think so, it's hand written so they can't really check nor will they notice they have thousands of papers to mark they won't spend their time checking if it's been plagiarized or not hopefully x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Nope I don't think so, it's hand written so they can't really check nor will they notice they have thousands of papers to mark they won't spend their time checking if it's been plagiarized or not hopefully x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you x
Reply 35
How did you guys find the exam?
I think that it went well for me.

The Streetcar question I answered was based on Blanche, meaning there's a hell of a lot to talk about (how she's central to the play, her complicity, "gay reading" - quoting from various articles and documentaries, the use of disguises to hide her vulnerability, and questioning the statement, by defining vulnerability.)

If I recall correctly, "death" was a question on one of the old Edexcel papers - "Death is my best theme, don't you think?" was the statement used, and that wasn't too bad a question either.

I lucked out on the poetry as well in the sense that I was able to link The Deliverer with Giuseppe, which aforementioned, is one of my favourite poems, in terms of analysis. Most of my friends did similar, whilst others went for Eat Me or History; however, none of us linked it with Out of the Bag.

Overall, I think there was a good performance - let's hope that the grade reflects that.
Original post by Remaine
I think that it went well for me.

The Streetcar question I answered was based on Blanche, meaning there's a hell of a lot to talk about (how she's central to the play, her complicity, "gay reading" - quoting from various articles and documentaries, the use of disguises to hide her vulnerability, and questioning the statement, by defining vulnerability.)

If I recall correctly, "death" was a question on one of the old Edexcel papers - "Death is my best theme, don't you think?" was the statement used, and that wasn't too bad a question either.

I lucked out on the poetry as well in the sense that I was able to link The Deliverer with Giuseppe, which aforementioned, is one of my favourite poems, in terms of analysis. Most of my friends did similar, whilst others went for Eat Me or History; however, none of us linked it with Out of the Bag.

Overall, I think there was a good performance - let's hope that the grade reflects that.

You've definitely got an A. I answered the same questions as you and linked the same poems, i also referred to the gay reading. However, I don't believe that I did it as well as you which may have put my grade down
Is anyone doing the murder room and/or lady Audley's secret
Original post by Sierra Beckx
You've definitely got an A. I answered the same questions as you and linked the same poems, i also referred to the gay reading. However, I don't believe that I did it as well as you which may have put my grade down

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Sierra.
However, I don't want to inadvertently deter you in the process - so long as you've written a fair few amount of points, which it sounds like you have, I have confidence that you will be fine. How long did you spend on each part? 60-60? Or did you spend more time on Streetcar?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending