The Student Room Group

Do you think the Egyptair crash was a terrorist attack?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2016_GCSE
You do know what stealth aircraft are designed for, Don't you?

Not been detected by radar, Damage.

I highly doubt the Americans (as they are the only ones with an operational stealth aircraft at the moment) decided to blow an Egyptian A320 out of the sky.

There's evidence coming out that there was a fire on board. However what this was caused by and how accurate this information is still unknown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36348699
Original post by Tempest II
I highly doubt the Americans (as they are the only ones with an operational stealth aircraft at the moment) decided to blow an Egyptian A320 out of the sky.

There's evidence coming out that there was a fire on board. However what this was caused by and how accurate this information is still unknown.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36348699

How do we not know some other country has these technology's and has kept them secret.
How do we not know some other country has these technology's and has kept them secret.

I could say the same to you about how do we know that little green men from Mars in an invisible UFO didn't decide to blow it up?

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at different angles but then trying to make up wild theories & bending information (or the lack of information in this case) to fit your theory isn't exactly constructive.
(edited 7 years ago)
I could say the second to you about how do we know that little green men from Mars in an invisible UFO didn't decide to blow it up?

I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at different angles but then trying to make up wild theories & bending information (or the lack of information in this case) to fit your theory isn't exactly constructive.

We have never seen evidence of green men from Mars.

But we do know Stealth Technology exists, Stealth Technology has been around since the end of WW2, It's quite likely that by now some country apart from the USA has developed a system capable of carrying out firing a missile at a plane undetected.
If it were to be a bomb, the plane would go BOOM.
Recent reports say there was smoke and possibly a fire which may have spread throughout the aircraft slowly. This is also supported by the fact that the airplane took random turns at 90 degrees which shows technical failure due to the fire.
We've had recently some problem flights in SE Asia (not terrorist), the Ukrane incident (not terrorist - state), the Russian plane (terrorist) , the suicide pilot france (not terrorist).

Its possible that its terrorist, but also statistically high chance its not (from previous incidents). We simply do not know.
We have never seen evidence of green men from Mars.

But we do know Stealth Technology exists, Stealth Technology has been around since the end of WW2, It's quite likely that by now some country apart from the USA has developed a system capable of carrying out firing a missile at a plane undetected.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or genuinely believe a stealth aircraft was used. What would be the motive to shoot down a passenger plane?

I sometimes think popular culture & the manufacturers of stealth technology overstate it's a effectiveness. It isn't a magic technology that makes you completely invisible to radar all the time.
It can reduce your Radar Cross Section (RCS) down to the point where you're invisible at long ranges but at short range a powerful radar can still pick you up. You also have to take into account that while your aircraft can be is very difficult to detect from the front, the sides & rear of the aircraft are usually far less stealthy (designing a stealth aircraft involves a lot of compromise).
Then there's the weapon bays - the moment you fire the missile your aircraft becomes visible on radar if only for a few seconds as the inside of the weapons bays are not very low observable. Obviously you can't carry your missiles on the wing pylons or you've massively increased your RCS & would be detected. The aircraft also wouldn't have been able to rely on external fuel tanks as they're unstealthy meaning it's range would be very limited (& you'd easily spot something like a tanker operating in the vicinity on radar).
Then there's the logistics - stealth aircraft are very expensive to buy & operate. I've heard rumors that the F-22 has to be repainted after every flight (I'm not sure how true that is but sources out on the Internet put operating costs at about $70,000 per every hour of flight which is bloody expensive). The bases stealth aircraft usually operate out of are large, well equipped & difficult to hide.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not sure if you're trolling or genuinely believe a stealth aircraft was used. What would be the motive to shoot down a passenger plane?

I sometimes think popular culture & the manufacturers of stealth technology overstate it's a effectiveness. It isn't a magic technology that makes you completely invisible to radar all the time.
It can reduce your Radar Cross Section (RCS) down to the point where you're invisible at long ranges but at short range a powerful radar can still pick you up. You also have to take into account that while your aircraft can be is very difficult to detect from the front, the sides & rear of the aircraft are usually far less stealthy (designing a stealth aircraft involves a lot of compromise).
Then there's the weapon bays - the moment you fire the missile your aircraft becomes visible on radar if only for a few seconds as the inside of the weapons bays are not very low observable. Obviously you can't carry your missiles on the wing pylons or you've massively increased your RCS & would be detected. The aircraft also wouldn't have been able to rely on external fuel tanks as they're unstealthy meaning it's range would be very limited (& you'd easily spot something like a tanker operating in the vicinity on radar).
Then there's the logistics - stealth aircraft are very expensive to buy & operate. I've heard rumors that the F-22 has to be repainted after every flight (I'm not sure how true that is but sources out on the Internet put operating costs at about $70,000 per every hour of flight which is bloody expensive). The bases stealth aircraft usually operate out of are large, well equipped & difficult to hide.

Country's in this region are at a point of war with ISIL and some with other countries.

One of these Terror groups , Countries could have spent time developing 1 stealth aircraft and felt like sending it out on a test run.

If this is what happened then they could be producing more of these aircraft as this scenario has been a success in terms of no one knowing what caused the passenger plane to crash.
Original post by FredOrJohn
We've had recently some problem flights in SE Asia (not terrorist), the Ukrane incident (not terrorist - state), the Russian plane (terrorist) , the suicide pilot france (not terrorist).

Its possible that its terrorist, but also statistically high chance its not (from previous incidents). We simply do not know.

Russian plane terrorist? wasnt it a fault by the pilots?
Original post by davidguettafan
Or technical failure possibly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't. Terrorist attack is what they want us to believe.
Original post by Saad69
Russian plane terrorist? wasnt it a fault by the pilots?

No it was terrorist.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34687990

As I say though, statistically, looking at previous resent plane failures, its not likely to be terrorist - the Russian one was the only very recent incident (apart from the belgium airport bomb).

However, if you only concentrated on middle east aircraft crashes then the likelihood of it being terrorist related increases (using stats) - but still no way conclusively.

Certainly terrorists appear to hate the French Government and the Egyptian Government... but that is way too circumstantial.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
Irre****inlevant.

ISIS have been slaughtering ("true":wink: Muslims in Syria and Iraq for years now.

True, but I just think it's unlikely.
Original post by oShahpo
True, but I just think it's unlikely.

In today's climate it's extremely likely it's a terrorist attack.

ISIS has the motive: hating the West, hating tourists, hating Egypt, blowing up planes before, wanting to severe Egypt's tourist industry, etc...

You've provided zero reasons as to why it's "unlikely".
Original post by Dodgypirate
In today's climate it's extremely likely it's a terrorist attack.

ISIS has the motive: hating the West, hating tourists, hating Egypt, blowing up planes before, wanting to severe Egypt's tourist industry, etc...

You've provided zero reasons as to why it's "unlikely".

What you're saying is convincing, it's just that I can't imagine them being able to get into airplanes after all what's been happening around the world, but yea you're right there are motives for them to do it.
No.
Original post by oShahpo
Unlikely as most of the passengers were Muslim, more than 50%, I also doubt Terrorists could have easily boarded the plane on an Egyptair specially after they have just had the Russian plane incident.

lol what. why on earth would that make a difference? have you not heard of ISIS?
Original post by Daniel9998
lol what. why on earth would that make a difference? have you not heard of ISIS?

I just imagined they'd target a more Westerner-rich airplane, my opinion wasn't a serious one though, I didn't give it much thought.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's possible but speculating is foolish until more evidence comes to light
Even if it was terrorism, I think we can safely say it had nothing to do with Islam. I mean just look at that white guy who crashed that plane one time. I'd say its likely to be the IRA or maybe just some radical fundamentalist Christian group.
Original post by NickLCFC
Even if it was terrorism, I think we can safely say it had nothing to do with Islam. I mean just look at that white guy who crashed that plane one time. I'd say its likely to be the IRA or maybe just some radical fundamentalist Christian group.

of course! the last thing we wanna do is offend the peaceful muslim people !

I really hope you were being sarcastic as well, hard to tell haha
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending