The Student Room Group

Can you choose whether or not you do foundation/higher paper?

Just wondering if you can choose what you do, or if it's all up to your teacher??

**I'm in year 10 by the way, so it wouldn't be for this year
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you discuss with your teacher, they may consider either dropping you to foundation or putting you up to the higher tier, but, it's too late now as it's exam season and it's most likely that everybody has been entered for a particular tier already.
Reply 2
Original post by AP666
Just wondering if you can choose what you do, or if it's all up to your teacher??

It depends on your school but changes this late will cost the school money (the main entries had to be made back in February) so you are very unlikely to get to choose at this point.
Reply 3
Original post by cdaniels2011
If you discuss with your teacher, they may consider either dropping you to foundation or putting you up to the higher tier, but, it's too late now as it's exam season and it's most likely that everybody has been entered for a particular tier already.

I am in year 10 now, so it's more just checking for next year really. Say if you wanted to do foundation, but your teacher wanted you to do higher, do you get to make the final decision or not??
Reply 4
most of the time , teachers chose whether you will be doing foundation or higher paper.

however, if they want you to do foundation, but you feel as if you can achieve a higher grade if you were to do the higher paper, then you will have to try and convince your teachers.
If they still wont let you, then you should get your parents to speak to your teachers.
Original post by AP666
I am in year 10 now, so it's more just checking for next year really. Say if you wanted to do foundation, but your teacher wanted you to do higher, do you get to make the final decision or not??

If the reason for your choice is foreseeable. It's important that you are able to discuss your weaknesses and how you are finding it difficult to answer questions in past papers for higher, etc.
But, I think you should definitely have a shot at higher. Easier chance of getting a C :smile:
At my school I payed half the cost of the higher and did the foundation in the September of yr11 and then the higher in June.

They did this to for students they believed were borderline at getting a C. I personally got 98% on the foundation so they bumped me up a set. Then took higher and got an A.

So it can be moved about.

Ask about taking foundation in the September if u want that's when resits are.
If the reason for your choice is foreseeable. It's important that you are able to discuss your weaknesses and how you are finding it difficult to answer questions in past papers for higher, etc.
But, I think you should definitely have a shot at higher. Easier chance of getting a C :smile:

U need 85% at foundation for C

40 at higher
Do some past papers and work with your teacher to find out which is most suitable. It should be obvious what you can cope with. The teacher wants you to do the best, so if you wnat higher then you need to get some results to back you up.
Reply 9
Original post by niteninja1
At my school I payed half the cost of the higher and did the foundation in the September of yr11 and then the higher in June.

They did this to for students they believed were borderline at getting a C. I personally got 98% on the foundation so they bumped me up a set. Then took higher and got an A.

I am predicted a B but am not sure I will get one, so am thinking about getting a high C in foundation and then using my ISA results (A* hopefully) to bring that up to a B

Under 16s are not allowed to take GCSEs in the Autumn any more.
Original post by AP666

The teachers make the decision but if you think your teacher's decision is wrong you can try to convince them to put you on your desired tier. I am happy I did not choose what tier I wanted to do for German as I was adamant I wanted to do higher and my teacher was convincing me that foundation as she was quite certain there was a high possibility of me failing the higher. I tried some higher papers at home after I got entered for foundation, miserably failed them and I am happy my teacher put me down for foundation.

With all my other subjects I am entered for higher bit I was bound to for them as I am in top sets. The sets I am in for Maths, English and Science have entered everybody in the set for higher as we are all bound to do well with higher, we never got asked if we wanted to do the foundation automatically got entered for higher.

Uhh actually it's never too late...yesterday I had my Spanish Exam...I never realized until yesterday morning that I was by mistakenly entered into the foundation tier....I had it changed literally 10 minutes before the exam...if I didn't realize then yes it would have been too late....but it's never too late tbh.
Reply 13
Were you already supposed to be doing that tier though, or did you just choose on the day??

Posted from TSR Mobile
hii
im year9
and i was in set1 maths however i have been moved into set2 because i hadnt been at school the last 1 month.
can i still do the gcse higher
Original post by yosi2005
hii
im year9
and i was in set1 maths however i have been moved into set2 because i hadnt been at school the last 1 month.
can i still do the gcse higher

@AngryJellyfish could we have this 3yr old thread closed please
Reply 16
Of course your in Yr 9 lucky I wish I was I want to do higher but I'm too shy to ask plus I'm really smart
Im fricked they forced me into set 4 maths im in yr9And they are making me do foundation I’ve asked them to move me up over the course of 2yrs but to no avail How can i make them let me do higher maths and i have asked my parents btw So yh cuz if i do foundation I can’t be a marine biologist and my life’s over...
Work hard, prove you deserve to be moved to a Higher set.

for what test did you get 98%? mocks? if mocks what year mocks?

Quick Reply

Latest