The Student Room Group

Can pedophilia be diagnosed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We live in world where urges that are "natural" in the animal world are abhorrent amongst humans. Society is geared towards discouraging such urges, but for some people this hasn't worked. These people need support, yet at the same time punishment for acting on this urges must be strict.
Reply 21
Original post by offhegoes
We live in world where urges that are "natural" in the animal world are abhorrent amongst humans. Society is geared towards discouraging such urges, but for some people this hasn't worked. These people need support, yet at the same time punishment for acting on this urges must be strict.

I like this reply
Original post by offhegoes

^^ what a reply.
Sure. Its not a sexual orientation because kids aren't a sex and a pedo can be straight, gay, or bi, and pedophiles fall out of attraction of children once they hit puberty. Its not a mental illness because a pedophile can be stable mentally.Pedophilia is caused by trauma, desire to be a child, or finding innocence attractive because maybe adults are icky? Also people can be pedophiles by damage to the brain or a lack of grey matter.

Pretty much anyone who is attracted to 12 years or below is a pedophile. A doctor can diagnosis a pedophile since the requirements for it is straightforward. Like 12 years olds and/or below sexually, romantically or both? You're a pedophile. There are pedophiles who are attracted to adults and children. I'm all for pedos getting help to live with their attractions in a legal and safe manner, but child molestation and rape is definitely something that requires punishment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by SmileyVibe
Sure. Its not a sexual orientation because kids aren't a sex and a pedo can be straight, gay, or bi, and pedophiles fall out of attraction of children once they hit puberty. Its not a mental illness because a pedophile can be stable mentally.Pedophilia is caused by trauma, desire to be a child, or finding innocence attractive because maybe adults are icky? Also people can be pedophiles by damage to the brain or a lack of grey matter.

Pretty much anyone who is attracted to 12 years or below is a pedophile. A doctor can diagnosis a pedophile since the requirements for it is straightforward. Like 12 years olds and/or below sexually, romantically or both? You're a pedophile. There are pedophiles who are attracted to adults and children. I'm all for pedos getting help to live with their attractions in a legal and safe manner, but child molestation and rape is definitely something that requires punishment.

I don't know pedophilia much as something that could be fixed. I've always assumed it's their sexual preference which they cannot help hut obviously, coming to think about it, other factors could be affecting it like you said trauma. These tabloids are making moral panics about 'ex-paedophiles', about how they're in our community etc etc. Would you feel comfortable about and ex-paedophile living among your community, where there are school children?
Original post by ElaArslan
Acting upon the need for 'affection' (as one of the men stated as if he didn't groom the little kids) is what gets them into trouble in the first place. Do you think its fair for people to repress their 'sexual preferences', if you will, in order for society not to attack them?

That is a fair point. I'm not trying to say that what they like can be controlled but maybe sex addiction therapy might help if they're finding it really hard to control it? But I don't know if that would work, it's a tricky topic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by AxSirlotl
That is a fair point. I'm not trying to say that what they like can be controlled but maybe sex addiction therapy might help if they're finding it really hard to control it? But I don't know if that would work, it's a tricky topic.

It is actually is a very tricky topic, sex addiction therapy is a good idea though
No.

Original post by IAmNero
Well, if you think about transsexuality. That is a gender orientation and a mental illness, same can be considered here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Transsexuality is not a mental illness. If that's your opinion, then that's your opinion. But don't present it as a matter of fact when it isn't one.
Reply 28
Original post by ivybridge
No.

Transsexuality is not a mental illness. If that's your opinion, then that's your opinion. But don't present it as a matter of fact when it isn't one.

Actually yes it is. Literally, stop trying to push your opinion and accept medical facts. It's called gender dysphoria. Do some research before you try and make crap up

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IAmNero
Actually yes it is. Literally, stop trying to push your opinion and accept medical facts. It's called gender dysphoria. Do some research before you try and make crap up

Posted from TSR Mobile

The sheer irony in this is beautiful. Gender dysphoria is not the same as transsexuality. Transsexuality is not considered a mental illness by the BPS or any other leading UK Psychological/Medical institution. As such, why don't you do some research.

Oh and about me forcing my opinion on people - that's hilarious considering I said you were entitled to your opinion but you can't present it as a matter of fact. It is you who's being forceful with your views and I who is stating the facts.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IAmNero
OMG. You are so blind to facts aren't to you?! You just want to be right about everything don't you? Just accept you are wrong.

You cannot back up anything you say. It's laughable and pathetic

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean like you have? Jog on, pal.
Some people have their facts wrong in this thread, so let me correct them:

Nearly every paedophile is attracted to both adults and children.
Most paedophiles won't ever act on their attraction because they understand it's wrong.
Help schemes for paedophiles have proven to be successful. These schemes don't cure it, but do allow the people to control it better.

All these facts are easily proven by googling.
Reply 32
Original post by ivybridge
You mean like you have? Jog on, pal.

God you are a nasty piece of work. The burden of proof is on the claimant. AKA You

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IAmNero
God you are a nasty piece of work. The burden of proof is on the claimant. AKA You

Posted from TSR Mobile

I literally cannot fathom where you get this utter tosh from. Your view is an opinion, mine is based on fact.
It isn't. Sexual orientation is the gender of the person you are attracted to, not the age of the person.
Original post by Keyhofi
Some people have their facts wrong in this thread, so let me correct them:

Nearly every paedophile is attracted to both adults and children.
Most paedophiles won't ever act on their attraction because they understand it's wrong.
Help schemes for paedophiles have proven to be successful. These schemes don't cure it, but do allow the people to control it better.

All these facts are easily proven by googling.

Yes, many children are sexually aware of each other.
An adult man or woman will remember their childhoods.

women have younger looking skin (smaller pores) big eyes, they are shorter and slimmer, and often like having lighter hair, they have higher pitched voices, all of which are child attributes too.

So I agree, its probably more of a moral crime issue than medical.
Reply 36
Does anyone want popcorn? :yum:
Original post by lolakirk
It isn't. Sexual orientation is the gender of the person you are attracted to, not the age of the person.

Why do some experts claim it is a sexual orientation then?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/paedophilia-sexual-orientation-straight-gay-criminal-psychologist-child-sex-abuse-a6965956.html
Reply 38
Original post by lolakirk

Fairly sure that has to do with society's comfort level more than anything else. Transgender is lumped together with sexual orientation all the time even though being transgender is nothing to do with sexual preferences.

There is increasing research to say that it is a sexual preference/orientation. People jump on it because they are scared this means a leap to decriminalising child sexual abuse. They should decriminalise pedophilia but obviously not child sexual abuse.

You can have a sexual preference and not act on it. I'm straight but I've had fantasies about many genders. And before anyone jumps in with the gay thing.. That is completely different. When you are a pedophile, you know that any level of relationship would be damaging to the child. Children are aware when the people around them are having sexual thoughts about them. They can sense it. It's confusing and scary to them. Acting on those thoughts even in an "innocent" way still translates to the child. You can tell when someone is innocently touching your arm and when someone is touching it inappropriately. It sets alarm bells off. Many pedophiles know this and choose not to act. Their impulse centre works as it should and they don't have any other traits that would override impulse control.

Child sexual abuse is about control. In the same way the abuse of adults is about control.
'some experts' That article quotes one criminal psychologist giving his opinion. Lots of 'experts' and psychologists have opinions and theories that differ from the official medical consensus. Your point is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending