The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

For the transformation P I put the wrong angle but I still put rotation about origin, so would I get 1 out of 2 marks, and for thw geometrical transformation of QR and OP I put enlargement by 2 and translation by a vector, would that get any marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys are marks on the proof by induction questions awarded like this ?1 mark for showing n=11 mark for assumption step2 marks for induction step1 mark for conclusion (only if all other marks were obtained)
Original post by economicss
So K+1 is right and k+2 is wrong? Haha sorry struggling to remember the question! Thanks :smile:

Yeah it should have been k+1 & no problem.
Well I'm screwed, at worst I've got 35/6 at best around 45 ://// revised all day yesterday as well
Will universities care if you got a C in just FP1? Can we retake next year?
Original post by isaac_wood_
I bet thats is what the marks are allocated for but that seems a bit unfair as i expected a mark for proof and a mark for stating it. Perhaps writing either with proof would get 2 marks?

since you had to work out the gradients to see if they actually were parallel I doubt its 2 marks for both points since that 2 marks would be encompassing working out the modulus and gradient of 2 lines as well as stating your conclusion. Also the question says relationshiP (singular ) so maybe you only need one?
Original post by GarlicBread01
Guys are marks on the proof by induction questions awarded like this ?1 mark for showing n=11 mark for assumption step2 marks for induction step1 mark for conclusion (only if all other marks were obtained)

pretty sure its like
mark no. 1 - show true for n=1,
marks no 2, 3 and 4 for the inductive and the 5th mark for the statement, you can only get the 5th if the previous stages are all correct
Original post by Cookiemonster057
Will universities care if you got a C in just FP1? Can we retake next year?

It really depends on the standard of uni you're applying to.
Original post by TelevisedTadpole
since you had to work out the gradients to see if they actually were parallel I doubt its 2 marks for both points since that 2 marks would be encompassing working out the modulus and gradient of 2 lines as well as stating your conclusion. Also the question says relationshiP (singular ) so maybe you only need one?

I doubt there would be any marks for the working out in that question. You don't need to work out the gradient anyway, the conclusion can be seen from the fact that one of the vectors is z and the other is 2z.
Lol everyone sounds like they had a difficult time, if you get time try Step III next year. I reckon I've got about 73/74 if I'm unlucky in this paper, should be 95+ ums right?
I think i got between 80-90 ums but i could've and should've got 100 ums ... made some really stupid mistakes under exam pressure not happy at all with this module. :frown:
Is it possible for me (Uk student) to resit fp1 in january 2017? or do they not do january exams in the uk anymore?
Original post by dididid
I think i got between 80-90 ums but i could've and should've got 100 ums ... made some really stupid mistakes under exam pressure not happy at all with this module. :frown:
Is it possible for me (Uk student) to resit fp1 in january 2017? or do they not do january exams in the uk anymore?

They don't do Jan exams anymore. You can resit when you sit your A2's.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=Shaunmcgown;65000469]What are people estimating grade boundaries to be?

I think about 60-62 for an A, yeah it may have been difficult but it wasnt so bad compared to last year. Pretty sure it'll be like 1-2 leas marks per grade compared to last year.
Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
Wait i just realized i'm talking about the IAL one, so the GCE was hard?

I expect if the ial paper is hard , the gce one should be hard too.
Hey guys, I feel really bad, I just freaked out on Friday and made so many mistakes. I would love it if someone could tell me how many marks I could have lost:

Q1) I let the determinant = 0 and I even wrote K^2-1=0 but I never actually calculated K. - Total marks in question: 3
Q8i + ii) I wasn't able to prove either of the two statements but I made it look like I did. I also included all the steps e.g Basis, Assumption, Inductive (made it look like I know what I was doing) and the Conclusion. - Total marks in question: 10
9c) I got the right equation but in terms of P. I did not find the value of p but the equation is correct. - Total marks in question: 3.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how many you think I lost.

Here is how many I think I lost:
Q1) 1 mark for not solving.
Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes)
Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ArafatQ
Hey guys, I feel really bad, I just freaked out on Friday and made so many mistakes. I would love it if someone could tell me how many marks I could have lost:

Q1) I let the determinant = 0 and I even wrote K^2-1=0 but I never actually calculated K. - Total marks in question: 3
Q8i + ii) I wasn't able to prove either of the two statements but I made it look like I did. I also included all the steps e.g Basis, Assumption, Inductive (made it look like I know what I was doing) and the Conclusion. - Total marks in question: 10
9c) I got the right equation but in terms of P. I did not find the value of p but the equation is correct. - Total marks in question: 3.

Q1) 1 mark for not solving. (Correct)Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes) (Possibly 3 marks some marks gained for trying the assumption)Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it (Correct)
Reply 1817
Original post by ArafatQ

My thoughts:

Q1) You'd get 2/3 marks for not solving
Q2) The mark you gain for the conclusion step is only given if the rest of your proof is correct (i.e., it is a dependent mark). So you may only get 1-3 marks per question, depending on how much of your induction is correct. Definitely one mark for your basis step. I believe no paper has awarded marks for the assumption step.
Q9c) 1/3. You'd get one for your method of finding an equation in terms of p. You would've gotten another mark for your method of finding p and then another for your accuracy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NoahMal
Q1) 1 mark for not solving. (Correct)Q8) 4 marks for not doing inductive step. (assuming examiner spots my mistakes) (Possibly 3 marks some marks gained for trying the assumption)Q9c) 2 marks for not getting p and not substituting it (Correct)

So would you say that's 3 marks for attempting each proof by induction? Thanks for the reply, I need your guys advice xD
Original post by oinkk
My thoughts:

Q1) You'd get 2/3 marks for not solving
Q2) The mark you gain for the conclusion step is only given if the rest of your proof is correct (i.e., it is a dependent mark). So you may only get 1-3 marks per question, depending on how much of your induction is correct. Definitely one mark for your basis step. I believe no paper has awarded marks for the assumption step.
Q9c) 1/3. You'd get one for your method of finding an equation in terms of p. You would've gotten another mark for your method of finding p and then another for your accuracy.

Ah ok thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending