The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Probably know your definitions; easy marks if you can remember the ones required from the spec :biggrin:
Reply 241
hey could you delete some messages from your inbox so i can pm you to get the 2015 papers from you please? really need them for revision. says your inbox is full if i try to pm you
Hi guys , you know for stability constant , why when a high value of stability constant equalilibrium lies to the right? I don't get why that is please explain :frown:
Reply 243
Original post by Miminfl
Hi guys , you know for stability constant , why when a high value of stability constant equalilibrium lies to the right? I don't get why that is please explain :frown:

if you look at the Kc equation, its product divided by reactants...but for a second ignore that and imagine 1 divided by 1 =1 ....now if your kc value is less than 1..you can see that there is more reactant than product...so it turns to 1 divided by 2 where 1 is product and 2 is reactants = 0.5 kc value...but if KC is very large than it would be e.g 5 divided by 1 = 5 so kc of 5....once you get this all you need to know if KC is very large the equilibrium must lie to right as the top number in division needs to be bigger than the bottom in kc=product/reactant
Original post by Miminfl

Like all equilibrium constants...

Simply, the equation is K = [Products]/[Reactants] where the concentration is taken when the reaction is at equilibrium.

It becomes a maths question after this. How do you get a large K value? Well, by either having a larger numerator or a small denominator. It's essentially a ratio so either one will work. I'll use a large numerator to explain though.
What does a large numerator represent? It represents a large concentration of products at equilibrium. You have to think logically that if there is a large concentration of products at equilibrium then the reaction must favour the forward reaction and so the equilibrium lies to the right.

Another sanity check would be, if there were equal concentrations of reactants and products where would it lie? Obviously it is in the middle. And as [reactants]=[products], then [products]/[reactants] = 1.
So you know a stability constant of 1 lies in the middle, a large constant (being greater than 1) must lie to the right of it. It's called a stability constant because the reactions are reversible, therefore if you have a large number of products in equilibrium then the product must be stable! Something that is stable is unlikely to change.

Specifically for Kstab, the reaction is a ligand substitution and so really what it's telling us is which complex is more stable. You should know that in chemistry things like to be in it's lowest energy state where it's most stable. If the value of Kstab was less than 1 then you know that the reactant is more stable and therefore unlikely to undergo ligand substitution into a less stable complex.

I've rambled on. I'm trying to show you a few ways of looking at it. If it still goes over your head just rote learn "high Kstab value, equilibrium lies to the right" and you might get lucky.
Original post by 76584
if you look at the Kc equation, its product divided by reactants...but for a second ignore that and imagine 1 divided by 1 =1 ....now if your kc value is less than 1..you can see that there is more reactant than product...so it turns to 1 divided by 2 where 1 is product and 2 is reactants = 0.5 kc value...but if KC is very large than it would be e.g 5 divided by 1 = 5 so kc of 5....once you get this all you need to know if KC is very large the equilibrium must lie to right as the top number in division needs to be bigger than the bottom in kc=product/reactant

You beat me to it
Original post by thad33
Like all equilibrium constants...

Simply, the equation is K = [Products]/[Reactants] where the concentration is taken when the reaction is at equilibrium.

It becomes a maths question after this. How do you get a large K value? Well, by either having a larger numerator or a small denominator. It's essentially a ratio so either one will work. I'll use a large numerator to explain though.
What does a large numerator represent? It represents a large concentration of products at equilibrium. You have to think logically that if there is a large concentration of products at equilibrium then the reaction must favour the forward reaction and so the equilibrium lies to the right.

Another sanity check would be, if there were equal concentrations of reactants and products where would it lie? Obviously it is in the middle. And as [reactants]=[products], then [products]/[reactants] = 1.
So you know a stability constant of 1 lies in the middle, a large constant (being greater than 1) must lie to the right of it. It's called a stability constant because the reactions are reversible, therefore if you have a large number of products in equilibrium then the product must be stable! Something that is stable is unlikely to change.

Specifically for Kstab, the reaction is a ligand substitution and so really what it's telling us is which complex is more stable. You should know that in chemistry things like to be in it's lowest energy state where it's most stable. If the value of Kstab was less than 1 then you know that the reactant is more stable and therefore unlikely to undergo ligand substitution into a less stable complex.

I've rambled on. I'm trying to show you a few ways of looking at it. If it still goes over your head just rote learn "high Kstab value, equilibrium lies to the right" and you might get lucky.

That makes so much sense, I wish the book explained it to us this way :smile: thank you :smile: I got it now
Original post by 76584

thankyou :smile:) I understood it now appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 248
I get that nitration of benzene has to be carried out at temperatures below 50 degrees to prevent multi-substitution but could anyone explain WHY multi-substitution occurs at temperatures above 50 degrees??
Does anyone know if they will ask for any of the AS mechanisms in the A2 exams?
Reply 250
Original post by rory58824

It's not impossible.

Maybe because the syllabus is synoptic
Original post by alow
It's not impossible.

Original post by Miminfl
Maybe because the syllabus is synoptic

Will have to get my AS knowledge up to scratch then :biggrin:
Will have to get my AS knowledge up to scratch then :biggrin:

Same, I'm only sitting F325 so I'll be ****ed if they include a lot of it in.
AQA is decent for the by topic questions on the same ones covered by OCR. They go deeper in some aspects (transition metal reactions) but not so much in others. I wouldn't bother so much with doing full papers though.
I'm not sure about edexcel.
They mostly ask the same questions anyway so as long as you have the standard answers all right then just attempt any difficult question that makes you stop and actually think. For the AQA papers, if I can confidently answer it, I just say it out loud and move on rather than wasting time writing the whole solution or answer.

I find the legacy papers better than doing AQA.
Pastpapers.org
Original post by AqsaMx
I get that nitration of benzene has to be carried out at temperatures below 50 degrees to prevent multi-substitution but could anyone explain WHY multi-substitution occurs at temperatures above 50 degrees??

The value of 50 degrees is fairly random tbh. To rationalise it though just think about how rate increases with T. More collisions attain greater than activation energy.
Reply 257
image.jpg

Could anyone explain question 3? I'm a little confused on what I'm even supposed to do and for question 4, I got 3+ but not sure if this is right, could anyone check it for me? Thank you :smile:)
Reply 258
Original post by TeachChemistry
The value of 50 degrees is fairly random tbh. To rationalise it though just think about how rate increases with T. More collisions attain greater than activation energy.

So because the temperature is increased, it reaches a high enough activation energy to add on two nitro groups or more?

Okay makes sense thank you :smile:
Reply 259
image.jpeg

For the gas Mr I got 62 which I concluded to be oxygen but I can't seem to balance the equations. Would I have to show two moles of oxygen formed or can I just show one because if I do one mole then the equation balances??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending