The Student Room Group

Need advice on summer job experience for ib

Are unpaid finance internships even available after the freshman year? Any suggestions/ experiences appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TinyBanker
Alternatives for investment banking internship? To beef up the CV.

Email small corporate finance boutiques and ask for work experience/work shadowing.
Reply 2
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Email small corporate finance boutiques and ask for work experience/work shadowing.

Any idea of where I could obtain the list of possible companies in London?
(edited 7 years ago)

Google is your friend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
This is a good list:
http://www.askivy.net/articles/investment-banking/interview-preparation/london-boutique-investment-banks

Don't bother with the bigger names like Evercore and Moelis but try other ones. I've tried one or two of them but haven't got any offers.

Also try accounting firms, stockbrokers, wealth management, asset management.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
This is a good list:
http://www.askivy.net/articles/investment-banking/interview-preparation/london-boutique-investment-banks

Don't bother with the bigger names like Evercore and Moelis but try other ones. I've tried one or two of them but haven't got any offers.

Most of those aren't even boutiques lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
Most of those aren't even boutiques lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know what a boutique is tbh
Original post by Trapz99
I don't even know what a boutique is tbh

Tiny bank (10-100 people), not much brand recognition, works on smaller deals etc

Elite boutiques are your top tier independent advisory houses (Lazard, Greenhill, Evercore etc) then you have middle market banks (William Blair, Baird, Houlihan etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Tiny bank (10-100 people), not much brand recognition, works on smaller deals etc

Elite boutiques are your top tier independent advisory houses (Lazard, Greenhill, Evercore etc) then you have middle market banks (William Blair, Baird, Houlihan etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok. But I have seen a few people on LinkedIn who have had ad hoc work placements at some of the larger firms on the list.

Btw, do you think it's better to call up firms and ask for work experience or email them?
Original post by Trapz99
Ok. But I have seen a few people on LinkedIn who have had ad hoc work placements at some of the larger firms on the list.

Btw, do you think it's better to call up firms and ask for work experience or email them?

Oh yeah, connections can help people out big time.

Either way. I think it's easier to transition from email to phone though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yeah, connections can help people out big time.

Either way. I think it's easier to transition from email to phone though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
banks do offer some internships, maybe not directly in IB after your first year.. search around

i.e HSBC offer one

Google maps is pretty handy.
Reply 13
Original post by Trapz99
This is a good list:

This list hangs on my noticeboard, contacted at least one person from each one, offering to work unpaid. Even those LLP's with less than 10 people haven't bothered to reply. Seems like IB is a unicorn for those who are grinding books at non-targets.
This list hangs on my noticeboard, contacted at least one person from each one, offering to work unpaid. Even those LLP's with less than 10 people haven't bothered to reply. Seems like IB is a unicorn for those who are grinding books at non-targets.

Talk to them on the phone. If they say "we don't take interns" just say something like "I can be your first intern. I'll do all the menial tasks for a few days. All I ask for is that I can shadow you for a few days as well and get a feel of what your industry is like." Just keep asking and calling up until they break down and either accept you or block your number.

(This isn't my advice- I just saw this on some article on the internet).
Reply 15
Original post by gr8wizard10
banks do offer some internships, maybe not directly in IB after your first year.. search around

i.e HSBC offer one

Application closed 6 March 2016 :/
Reply 16
Original post by Trapz99
Talk to them on the phone. If they say "we don't take interns" just say something like "I can be your first intern. I'll do all the menial tasks for a few days. All I ask for is that I can shadow you for a few days as well and get a feel of what your industry is like." Just keep asking and calling up until they break down and either accept you or block your number.(This isn't my advice- I just saw this on some article on the internet).

Block my number :biggrin: one way to mess up before even setting my foot.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending