The Student Room Group

OCR Sources of Law G152 May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 28657
I doubt it, but I may be wrong. In part (iii) the question wasn't specific enough, as it may have been an Order in Council as well as an SI. However, from what I have heard from other students, part (ii) is probably an Order in Council, not an SI, although many have different answers for it. We will only know on the results day, unfortunately.

I put iii as an SI using the reasoning that a school curriculum will have a national effect and a minister in education would be appropriate to implement this. That left me with part ii as OIC although I didn't know the reasoning behind it
Reply 21
Original post by lunamoon127
I put iii as an SI using the reasoning that a school curriculum will have a national effect and a minister in education would be appropriate to implement this. That left me with part ii as OIC although I didn't know the reasoning behind it

So did I, but only because (iii) resembled the situation with the Education Act 1944 which affected the whole country and allowed the Education Minister to change the school leaving age, and it was an SI. Let's hope that just mentioning OiC would give us 3 marks in (ii):smile:
Hi i answered question one ob delegated legislation as i seemed easier

For the situations.
On the first one i wrote by law
Second one orders in council
Third one statutory interpretation

Was that right or wrong. Hope i pass.
What did everyone put for 1 bii i thought it was an order in council but some of my friends put statutory instrument
I also forgot to lts on cii so does anyone know what im capped at?
Well Katie I did the same as you. For b ii I also wrote orders in council. For b iii I wrote statutory instruments.

So for b mine was
By laws
Orders in council
Statutory interpretation.
Original post by katie55ed
What did everyone put for 1 bii i thought it was an order in council but some of my friends put statutory instrument
I also forgot to lts on cii so does anyone know what im capped at?

Fairly sure you're right, but who knows until the mark scheme comes out because there's some people have put OIC and some put SI. I can understand the reasoning behind both, but most likely it's OIC as another was definitely Stat. Instrument.

Cii is 15 marks so if you didn't answer it then you're limited to 45 out of a possible 60.
Original post by chloehiltonlaw
Fairly sure you're right, but who knows until the mark scheme comes out because there's some people have put OIC and some put SI. I can understand the reasoning behind both, but most likely it's OIC as another was definitely Stat. Instrument.

Cii is 15 marks so if you didn't answer it then you're limited to 45 out of a possible 60.

Well for the second situation I also wrote orders in council, and for the third situation I wrote statutory interpretation.
Reply 27
Did anyone even do the question on interpretation? It looked well easy, but because I didn't expect it, I didn't revise for it. That was sneaky.

I did 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages both fully developed points I didn't read the question properly. Can I get top of level 3 9marks? Does putting disadvantage affects me in any way
Original post by 28657
Did anyone even do the question on interpretation? It looked well easy, but because I didn't expect it, I didn't revise for it. That was sneaky.

Most resitters from last year at my college chose that question. We don't study EU so last year they had to do the stat question and I assume learnt it much better this year and therefore chose it.

Original post by Salimo_1234
I did 2 advantages and 2 disadvantages both fully developed points I didn't read the question properly. Can I get top of level 3 9marks? Does putting disadvantage affects me in any way

No it doesn't, but only putting 2 advantages might not get you top marks. They can't mark you down for what you have written, but they also can't mark you up for something that isn't there.
Most resitters from last year at my college chose that question. We don't study EU so last year they had to do the stat question and I assume learnt it much better this year and therefore chose it.

No it doesn't, but only putting 2 advantages might not get you top marks. They can't mark you down for what you have written, but they also can't mark you up for something that isn't there.

I know am I haven't good top mark, in the mark scheme is says award top mark for level 3 for 2 developed points soo that would be 9 marks

I mentioned saves parliaments time + expert knowledge. Each a long paragraph
Reply 31

Being a resitter myself, I am physically sick of statutory interpretation, especially because the list of advantages/disadvantages is too brief and bullet-point like.
Reply 32
Personally, i thought it went really well. For Question B i got the following:

Bi = By Law
Bii = Order In Council
Biii = Statutory Instrument.

Does anyone have an idea of what the grade boundaries will be? Surely they cannot go any higher than last year as they where ridiculous.
Reply 33
Everyone is going to go against me and tell me I'm wrong, but for the part b questions I put Bylaw, Enabling Act and then Statutory Instruments. For the second one, I put an Enabling Act BECAUSE it said about transferring powers to a minister. So the only form of DL which does that is the enabling act. I did think of Orders in Council, however the question did not mention the queen or the privy council, or that it had to be passed quickly or In emergency. I thought that the question was very misleading.
Original post by TylerJ23
Everyone is going to go against me and tell me I'm wrong, but for the part b questions I put Bylaw, Enabling Act and then Statutory Instruments. For the second one, I put an Enabling Act BECAUSE it said about transferring powers to a minister. So the only form of DL which does that is the enabling act. I did think of Orders in Council, however the question did not mention the queen or the privy council, or that it had to be passed quickly or In emergency. I thought that the question was very misleading.

Totally understand why you put that. It did cross my mind. I guess we'll have to see when the mark scheme comes out.
How did you guys link the sources to the answers - specifically for Law Reform and DL?
(edited 7 years ago)
Totally understand why you put that. It did cross my mind. I guess we'll have to see when the mark scheme comes out.

One of the powers OIC have to to delegate powers to different departments they don't just work when there is an emergency
Original post by null.and.void.
I realised I didn't make any reference to the sources since they weren't of much help when answering the questions... Will I lose out on marks if wrote all the points that were meant to be mentioned?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will lose marks for not referencing the source, because the question specifically asks you to. It won't be a drastic drop though, I imagine it'll be similar to the level 4 limiters in G151.
Try not to worry too much, if your answers were correct you should still pass without referring to the source. It'll just probably keep you out of the top marks.
Reply 38
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will lose marks for not referencing the source, because the question specifically asks you to. It won't be a drastic drop though, I imagine it'll be similar to the level 4 limiters in G151.
Try not to worry too much, if your answers were correct you should still pass without referring to the source. It'll just probably keep you out of the top marks.

Were we required to put source refs in every answer or just in some parts? Don't remember mentioning any in cii.
Original post by 28657
Were we required to put source refs in every answer or just in some parts? Don't remember mentioning any in cii.

My teacher was an examiner for years and is still friends with a chief examiner.
She recommends you slip a reference in every question, even the sub sections. I'm not sure whether it's compulsory to though. I just always have because she said to.

As I said though, even if you're forgotten, unless you're applying somewhere prestigious it shouldn't be too earth crushing as you'll still pass. I hope it all goes well for you in summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending