The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Literature - June 2016 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BluBird :)
How does everyone revise poetry? I'm doing the Relationships cluster. I'm a bit unsure as to what I can do and considering its my most difficult exam I need help... fast. Thanks

I made Venn diagrams for each poem with one I could potentially compare it with (in Venn diagram I put the similar/different features and themes) but I think now I am just going to try and memorise my annotations/analysis of poems!
How does everyone revise poetry? I'm doing the Relationships cluster. I'm a bit unsure as to what I can do and considering its my most difficult exam I need help... fast. Thanks

I studied Character and Voice but if it's any help, I could show you a comparison I did to give you an idea of how to go about structuring an answer?

Also to revise I do just that, practicing comparing poems and having a go at unseen poetry questions. I also try to brush up on the key themes of each poem .
Original post by thatonepunkguy
I studied Character and Voice but if it's any help, I could show you a comparison I did to give you an idea of how to go about structuring an answer?

Also to revise I do just that, practicing comparing poems and having a go at unseen poetry questions. I also try to brush up on the key themes of each poem .

Yes please. That would be of so much help. Thank you. Also do you think its a good idea to have generic comparisons ready for each poem with another poem so that you can mould them to the question? Or would that lead to not being able to answer the question effectively in the exam?
Yes please. That would be of so much help. Thank you. Also do you think its a good idea to have generic comparisons ready for each poem with another poem so that you can mould them to the question? Or would that lead to not being able to answer the question effectively in the exam?

I'll send you that when I'm not on mobile then.

Also yes, knowing what links your poems is crucial in my opinion. Because you don't know what your question will be on, find multiple links between each poem to be more prepared. Examiners also love it when you offer alternative interpretations (eg. 'however, the poem could also show this about love' )

But for example, I could link Medusa to My Last Duchess through the themes of love, power, turning someone into a piece of art to possess them and control. Medusa could be linked to Singh Song for juxtaposed ideas of love, Medusa portraying how love turned the narrator into something hideous and potentially displaying an abusive relationship while Singh Song portrays someone lovestruck with his bride despite the odds and his cultural values.

Hopefully this helps! I'll send you that comparison later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ralph finding the conch, Jack breaking Piggy's glasses, the election of Ralph as chief, the splitting of the groups into two different tribes, Piggy's death, the island burning up at the end (as you mentioned), Jack first putting on the 'mask', Simon talking to the 'Lord of the Flies', the killing of Simon (before his death scene where he floats away with almost religious imagery)

And while not a 'significant event' I find a more overlooked quote to be:

'Pig.'
'We eat pig.'
'Piggy!'

This foreshadows Piggy's death as pigs on the island are killed, and it almost has creepy and cannibalistic undertones.

If you want any help with this book, let me know!

Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

Yes, have some generic links in your head so that you know which poems to choose, but in your actual answer, make sure they completely relate and are relevant to the question - if they're really generic points that aren't that focuses on the question, you'll have difficulty reaching high bands.
For part A (for me its Under Milk Wood) I know you do an intro, 3 main points, then conclusion, but what about for part B? We do of mice and men and I don't know how much you are supposed to write for each of the 2 questions... any help?
Reply 407
Original post by MIST_123
If anyone wants Mr Bruff's A* Videos (10 In depth videos each 15-30 mins long), PM me! 6 Videos for English Language and 4 for English Literature (one covering each question in depth). Helped me get 2 A*s last year!

Also have AIC and OMAM recourses if anyone is interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey would you be able to send me the videos, you'd be a life saver thanks xx
I'll send you that when I'm not on mobile then.

Also yes, knowing what links your poems is crucial in my opinion. Because you don't know what your question will be on, find multiple links between each poem to be more prepared. Examiners also love it when you offer alternative interpretations (eg. 'however, the poem could also show this about love' )

But for example, I could link Medusa to My Last Duchess through the themes of love, power, turning someone into a piece of art to possess them and control. Medusa could be linked to Singh Song for juxtaposed ideas of love, Medusa portraying how love turned the narrator into something hideous and potentially displays an abusive relationship while Singh Song portrays someone lovestruck with his bride despite the odds and his cultural values.

Hopefully this helps! I'll send you that comparison later.

Original post by emmald583
Yes, have some generic links in your head so that you know which poems to choose, but in your actual answer, make sure they completely relate and are relevant to the question - if they're really generic points that aren't that focuses on the question, you'll have difficulty reaching high bands.

Thank you! Really helpful.
Original post by MetallicHead
For AIC i think Old vs Young Generation will come up and im not sure if they will ask a question on a specific character this year, because its the last year they might ask you about the inspector final speech

For Of Mice and Men im confident that the characters are either Curley or Lennie and part b will be on either violence, death or the american dream

How are we meant to write an essay only based on one speech! Omfg English is killing me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blaze3211
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.

Slight correction, Ralph and Piggy find the conch together. It's Piggy that suggests using the conch as a communication device though.
Original post by Em14520
Hey would you be able to send me the videos, you'd be a life saver thanks xx

They're gonna ask you to pay like £30 for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which characters shall i revise for OMAM and AIC because the themes that come up are almost definately gunna be responsibility and stuff like that.
Original post by YAY GCSE
Which characters shall i revise for OMAM and AIC because the themes that come up are almost definately gunna be responsibility and stuff like that.

For both of theme revise all the characters because we won't know if AQA are going to change things up a bit.

But for AIC I would suggest revising Gerald, Sheila and the Inspector first.

For OMAM I would suggest revising Curley first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rihana.c
Thanks! That would be so great if you could, you can do your maths paper first and do this later tho, I really don't mind. Thanks very much.btw i love your profile pic

No problem! I'll tackle a Mockingbird question today. Did you want part a, b or both?

Also thank you! I love Gerard Way.
Reply 415
No problem! I'll tackle a Mockingbird question today. Did you want part a, b or both?

Also thank you! I love Gerard Way.

Np. I don't mind, whatever you feel like :smile: any help would be great!
Thanks!!
How long are you supposed to spend on part a) of the OMAM question and then how long on part b)?

Does anyone have an essay that I can take a look at to see how part a) and part b) should be written.

Really need to know how many minutes to spend on each part and approx. how many sides to write?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, for the English Literature exam on monday I am doing An Inspector Calls and To Kill A Mockingbird.

To get an A* in An Inspector Calls my teacher said to:
- Use the keyword from the question e.g. "gender inequality", if gender inequality is being asked. Then link the keyword to a character. Or if the keyword is a character then link it to a theme or themes. The intro should only be 2 or 3 sentences long.

- Then make AT LEAST 3 paragraphs/sections which have 3 different points to get an A*. Use different types of evidence not just quotes. E.g. use stage directions and what other people say/how they act as evidence aswell.

- Comment on the form/structure of the play and language (language = quotes). E.g. Priestley sets Mr Birling up to look like a pompous fool. For instance, he says there will be no war and the titanic won't sink. However, as the play was published just after WW2 and set in 1912 the audience can see Birling is wrong and automatically gain a dislike for him. This makes the audience doubt what Mr Birling says next. For example, he says community is "nonsense" and just after this the doorbell rings and the inspector arrives. Priestley intentionally structures the play like this to reinforce the dramatic irony he has used.

For an A* in TKAMB part a my teacher said to:
- Find at least 5 interesting things from the text extract in part a. Comment on the effect on the reader e.g. makes them feel sympathy.
- Link the 5 things to themes but stay focused on the extract
- Mention the form and structure. For this just write down your ideas e.g. Lee uses a metaphor, simile, symbolism etc

For part b in TKAMB my teacher said to;
- Make at least 3 sections/paragraphs- Have specific details in them but if quotes cannot be found/remembered then it doesn't matter as long as the quote is paraphrased/mentioned correctly.
- Relate to context e.g. great depression, scottsboro boys etc (depends on what part b context is asking for)

Is this all correct to get an A* in the Unit 1H (AQA) exam??? Any suggestions are welcome!
(edited 7 years ago)
Mockingbird, Inspector Calls, Character & Voice

I'm feeling terrible (I haven't been in school all week due to illness, so haven't been revising as much) & I'm feeling especially awful about unseen. So that's fun...

I've heard a lot of predictions about all three, I'm really not sure what to think:
AIC: Sheila/inspector, responsibility
TKAM: Dill, (my teacher thinks Atticus for some reason), education
C&V: Ruined Maid/Medusa
What is predicted to come up for Of Mice and Men? I'm thinking curley, and who else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending