The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A-Levels are harder qualification to my understanding and thus are more respected and require more work, hence forcing the individuals to mature in order to cope with the increased work level, whereas with BTEC, as I have heard from numerous friends, is easy with them only going college 2-3 days a week as compared to 5 days a week for a-level study, hence that increased work ethnic causes the A-level students to mature more quickly. I believe at least
Original post by 99joey
A-Levels are harder qualification to my understanding and thus are more respected and require more work, hence forcing the individuals to mature in order to cope with the increased work level, whereas with BTEC, as I have heard from numerous friends, is easy with them only going college 2-3 days a week as compared to 5 days a week for a-level study, hence that increased work ethnic causes the A-level students to mature more quickly. I believe at least

You are right, A levels are harder. The workload is MUCH higher with a levels as well from my experience. I kind of regret not resitting ):
Reply 3
Original post by 99joey

Well put, exactly what I would have said.

It is clear A levels do have a higher work load, however, I do appreciate that not all BTECs are 'easy'.
Wait, it depends to be honest. In my class the younger students were immature compared to the older ones. My course was not a BTEC, it was a CACHE course, had to do 30 units in first year, 12 in second year but 3 5,000 word essays. It was a difficult course which included 2 full days of placement xD. My class was full of mature people so...
Original post by 99joey

*Ethic

Ethnic refers to someone's race
Reply 6
Original post by colone97
Well put, exactly what I would have said.It is clear A levels do have a higher work load, however, I do appreciate that not all BTECs are 'easy'.
Indeed, didn't mean to seem like I was generalising all BTECs, however I would make the statement that a majority of A-levels are harder than the BTEC equivalent. For example I would assume A-Level ICT is harder than BTEC ICT etc. However I have only studied A-levels so that assumption is only based on conversations with my friends who study BTEC. Nevertheless as long as the person is happy with it then it doesn't matter, but that is why I believe people mature faster in A-levels. Hope I've helped answer your question :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
It might just be the sixth form you went to, I am doing A-Levels at a Grammar Sixth Form so most people are very mature, but that isn't the case with the high school I used to go to, my friends at the sixth form their say attitudes and maturity haven't really changed, but that may be as you could do BTEC there as well as part time with college
Reply 8
Haha my bad xP
I feel like its because the majority of people in BTEC are those who couldn't put much effort in GCSEs to do A-levels, i.e, the less motivated, the more badly behaved etc, and that is why we usually find these people there. Of course this is not the case everywhere, but from my experience this is what I see.
The only inherent difference between BTEC and A-level students is the type of qualification they are doing, although, perhaps, BTEC students may be more passionate about what they're doing, since they're doing something more specific, as they know that they want to do it. Anyway, it's probably just that your college that's full of *****, rather than anything else.

Original post by 99joey
A-Levels are harder qualification to my understanding and thus are more respected and require more work, hence forcing the individuals to mature in order to cope with the increased work level, whereas with BTEC, as I have heard from numerous friends, is easy with them only going college 2-3 days a week as compared to 5 days a week for a-level study, hence that increased work ethnic causes the A-level students to mature more quickly.I believe at least

BTEC courses are not inherently easier than A-level courses, many A-level students go to college and only have to attend 2-3 days a week, whilst many BTEC students have to work a full five day week, it all comes down to the courses you choose to do, rather than the type of qualification you choose,especially since most BTEC students opt to do level 3 BTECs which are equivalent to 3 A-levels, so don’t even act like BTEC qualifications are somehow less valuable than A-level qualifications. Plus, before anyone comments that A-levels better prepare you for university, so you’re more likely to get in: BTECs are for people interested in going to work sooner, and are the best way to achieve that (not that it’s impossible to get into a university with a BTEC, many people do). Besides, not everybody wants to go to university, or even a top university, for that matter :unimpressed:

Actually, in my opinion, making broad generalisations based on your limited experiences is the truly immature thing to do, and is actually quite disrespectful,especially when you're undermining the hard work of some people (BTEC students).
(edited 7 years ago)
This is a silly generalisation. Being 20 years old and doing AS + A2 levels, I can assure you A Level students are certainly not 'mature' by any stretch.
Reply 12
Original post by Robinin
The only inherent difference between BTEC and A-level students is the type of qualification they are doing, although, perhaps, BTEC students may be more passionate about what they're doing, since they're doing something more specific, as they know that they want to do it. Anyway, it's probably just that your college that's full of *****, rather than anything else. BTEC courses are not inherently easier than A-level courses, many A-level students go to college and only have to attend 2-3 days a week, whilst many BTEC students have to work a full five day week, it all comes down to the courses you choose to do, rather than the type of qualification you choose,especially since most BTEC students opt to do level 3 BTECs which are equivalent to 3 A-levels, so don’t even act like BTEC qualifications are somehow less valuable than A-level qualifications. Plus, before anyone comments that A-levels better prepare you for university, so you’re more likely to get in: BTECs are for people interested in going to work sooner, and are the best way to achieve that (not that it’s impossible to get into a university with a BTEC, many people do). Besides, not everybody wants to go to university, or even a top university, for that matter :unimpressed:Actually, in my opinion, making broad generalisations based on your limited experiences is the truly immature thing to do, and is actually quite disrespectful,especially when you're undermining the hard work of some people (BTEC students).
Read my second response above, besides its just my opinion
Original post by Robinin
The only inherent difference between BTEC and A-level students is the type of qualification they are doing, although, perhaps, BTEC students may be more passionate about what they're doing, since they're doing something more specific, as they know that they want to do it. Anyway, it's probably just that your college that's full of *****, rather than anything else.

BTEC courses are not inherently easier than A-level courses, many A-level students go to college and only have to attend 2-3 days a week, whilst many BTEC students have to work a full five day week, it all comes down to the courses you choose to do, rather than the type of qualification you choose,especially since most BTEC students opt to do level 3 BTECs which are equivalent to 3 A-levels, so don’t even act like BTEC qualifications are somehow less valuable than A-level qualifications. Plus, before anyone comments that A-levels better prepare you for university, so you’re more likely to get in: BTECs are for people interested in going to work sooner, and are the best way to achieve that (not that it’s impossible to get into a university with a BTEC, many people do). Besides, not everybody wants to go to university, or even a top university, for that matter :unimpressed:

Actually, in my opinion, making broad generalisations based on your limited experiences is the truly immature thing to do, and is actually quite disrespectful,especially when you're undermining the hard work of some people (BTEC students).

Please, i have studied academic a levels, vocational a level and BTECs and from what i studied i found BTECs to be the easiest. There is no other way about it. I never had to revise for my BTEC. Now, BTECs are definitely not invaluable and can get you into a good uni and job consequently if you do well in them. It's just that there is an obvious difference in the qualifications. Also, yes my college is pretty bad, so that might be the reason (:
Original post by 99joey
Read my second response above, besides its just my opinion

Sorry, my internet's pretty slow, so I couldn't see it before you posted ^^'
But, even so, why would an IT BTEC be easier than an A-level BTEC- is it due to the lack of examinations? I genuinely want to know what you think.
Original post by Terminator01
Please, i have studied academic a levels, vocational a level and BTECs and from what i studied i found BTECs to be the easiest. There is no other way about it. I never had to revise for my BTEC. Now, BTECs are definitely not invaluable and can get you into a good uni and job consequently if you do well in them. It's just that there is an obvious difference in the qualifications. Also, yes my college is pretty bad, so that might be the reason (:

What BTECs and A-levels did you do, though, were they the same thing? Because an A-level in Mathematics, for example, will obviously be harder than a BTEC in Media Make-up, or something. Plus, what level of BTEC was it? I'm actually curious.
(edited 7 years ago)
From my experience when i studied at sixth form i very rarely encountered any immaturity, but now that i am in college and studying a BTEC i see a lot of immature people and I experience a lot of name calling and lots of immaturity in the classroom. I wonder why this is?

No such evidence
Original post by Robinin
What BTECs and A-levels did you do, though, were they the same thing? Because an A-level in Mathematics, for example, will obviously be easier than a BTEC in Media Make-up, or something. Plus, what level of BTEC was it? I'm actually curious.

I have studied Religious Studies A level (Philosophy and Ethics) and Applied Business A level in combination with the BTEC in IT and T&T and RG was the hardest with AB. I didn't find the BTECs to be hard, they just involved A LOT of workload, but it was not hard, they just made me do the work in the class.
Reply 18
Original post by Robinin
Sorry, my internet's pretty slow, so I couldn't see it before you posted ^^' But, even so, why would an IT BTEC be easier than an A-level BTEC- is it due to the lack of examinations? I genuinely want to know what you think.
I took A-Level ICT and then A-Level Computing at my school, however there was a point when I was considering taking ICT BTEC because I wanted to aim directly into an ICT career although I later re-considered this. In terms of the ICT BTEC at least, it was clear to me that the A-Level ICT was far harder. You could say it was the type of examination, got BTEC ICT and A-level had a coursework assignment however A-level also had an examination which was absent for BTEC. I am not going to generalise all BTEC's, however I do believe it is the general consensus that A-levels are harder, simply for the facts that University's respect and desire A-levels more. However if you are taking a BTEC it isn't an attack on you. Its just there are varying levels of difficulty, including within A-levels, such as the 'soft' and 'hard' subjects. Its just the reality of the situation I believe, There is more content at an higher advanced level taught at A-level, at least in my opinion. However that doesn't mean you are bad for taking a BTEC, just people chose different things, and a BTEC is, as you stated more for going directly into work whereas A-levels are for University hence are up to a higher level in my opinion to provide that direct transition into University. Hope I have explained myself well :smile:
I have studied Religious Studies A level (Philosophy and Ethics) and Applied Business A level in combination with the BTEC in IT and T&T and RG was the hardest with AB. I didn't find the BTECs to be hard, they just involved A LOT of workload, but it was not hard, they just made me do the work in the class.

Oh, I see, do you reckon it would be fair to say that the difficulty depends on how you, personally, work rather than the qualification itself, though? Like, some people are more suited to exams than coursework, so you sound pretty gifted to me, tbh :smile: (also I just realised that I ****ed up and said that maths would be easier instead of harder, sorry, I fixed it though :smile:)

Latest