The Student Room Group

Edexcel Chemistry IGCSE 1C Unofficial Mark Scheme 19th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

i think 10b could be wrong as there was another step for the third mark where you had to work out the energy produced by (i think) 0.725g of fuel burnt...
who else is doing maths next thursday?
Does anyone remember question 8? And i think 4a) was out of 2 not 4
Original post by Abodee1
who else is doing maths next thursday?

me :-(
I put electrons then protons (crossed out nuclei, don't know why), would I get a mark for protons??..
Original post by dRaGoN2509
I put electrons then protons (crossed out nuclei, don't know why), would I get a mark for protons??..

nah because the whole point is covalent bonding is the specific attraction between the positive NUCLEI and electrons
Original post by PandaCub
For 11e) When it said that you had to draw the displayed formula of 'one of the products' of the reaction, could you have drawn Hydrogen Bromide?

H-Br

yeah you'll probably get that but it was safer to just do the normal product of substitution
I reckon I got around 85-90. What're the chances of me getting A/A*?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dRaGoN2509
I reckon I got around 85-90. What're the chances of me getting A/A*?

Ull need to do really good next paper if you want an A* ( something like 50 or 55 out of 60)but there is still a high chance of you getting an A :biggrin: best of luck mate...
Original post by jamesj477
nah it was 0.9
the formula of hydrated copper sulphate in the question was CuSO4.5H2O
The starting mass of copper sulphate was 2.5g, the Mr of CUSO4.5H2O is 250.
Moles = mass/mr (2.5/250)
moles = 0.01

There were 5x the amount of moles of water
moles of water = 5 x 0.01= = 0.05
the mr of water is 18
0.05 x 18 = 0.9g

Theres also another way of doing it that involves finding the percentage of water in hydrated copper sulphate, then finding that percentage of 2.5, which also gave 0.9g

nah thats all wrong there is 6 moles of it
Original post by Legend991

6 moles of what
Reply 331
Does anyone remember the question with the table asking for the Protons, Neutrons and Electrons of the Hydrogen Isotopes?

Protons: 1-1-1
Neutrons: 0-1-2
Electrons: 1-1-1

I think some people may have put 1-2-3 for the neutrons, not realizing that if there was one proton and one neutron the mass number would be 2, but Hydrogen's mass number is 1

Glad I got that one right lol, only 1 mark tho
Reply 332
Original post by Legend991

No all of what he/she said is correct, I'm pretty sure it was 0.9 and there are 5 moles not 6
Reply 333
Original post by Abodee1
Ull need to do really good next paper if you want an A* ( something like 50 or 55 out of 60)but there is still a high chance of you getting an A :biggrin: best of luck mate...

Yeah you have about 10 marks you can lose max. in Paper 2 but thats only if you got like 85 in Paper 1, I'm sure you did better than you think aha
Original post by Shahzeb_m
1 mark for fizz, no marks for alkaline solution I'm afraid as it asked for "observations". One cannot observe a change in pH.

What if you said that if there was an indicator in the solution, it would turn purple. Is that not an observation? It's also in the CGP book.
Original post by VinuJ
No all of what he/she said is correct, I'm pretty sure it was 0.9 and there are 5 moles not 6

oh fair enough thought i was because there was one mole of the first thing and 5 of the water so it was 6
Original post by asd.987
What if you said that if there was an indicator in the solution, it would turn purple. Is that not an observation? It's also in the CGP book.

It's a slim chance as the question did not say an indicator was available.
4f is wrong - there is the same temperature rise because the acid was previously in excess.
Original post by Martins1
4f is wrong - there is the same temperature rise because the acid was previously in excess.

no that's incorrect its about collision theory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hsevras
no that's incorrect its about collision theory

Posted from TSR Mobile

It asked about the difference of rise of temperature, not rate of reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending