The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Computing F453 Official Thread 22/06/2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrSplash
I meant for coursework itself not whole A Level. Only got a C last year, retaking f452 for a B

For f454 it doesn't mention the grade boundary for A*, but an A is 64 UMS/marks.
There is a 90% UMS boundary released each year for exams, to see which parts would be an A* on their own. Last year it was 73/80 for 90% UMS in F454 :smile:

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/246985-a2-units-showing-90-percent-conversion-points-june-2015.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dapperblook22
There is a 90% UMS boundary released each year for exams, to see which parts would be an A* on their own. Last year it was 73/80 for 90% UMS in F454 :smile:

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/246985-a2-units-showing-90-percent-conversion-points-june-2015.pdf

Kl thanks
Looking through last years f452 paper with the markscheme..... Terrible.
I meant for coursework itself not whole A Level. Only got a C last year, retaking f452 for a B

Judging from the trend over the last few years, 73 raw marks usually hits the 90% conversion threshold for an A* in F454.
How is everyones F453 revision going?!
Original post by King_Kauko
How is everyones F453 revision going?!

For me it is going the same as always, working through past paper questions and having a weekly F453 test on each unit.

I have been paying more attention to register questions however, as there are not many resources for them and so I have been learning the model answers from the mark schemes.
Reply 67
Hey do you guys think an SQL system would be classified as having enough programming to be a decent project when queries are used?
I am really worried as my coursework has been sent off and I am scared it will go down from what it has been marked as
Reply 68
Original post by John323
Hey do you guys think an SQL system would be classified as having enough programming to be a decent project when queries are used?
I am really worried as my coursework has been sent off and I am scared it will go down from what it has been marked as

Was it just purely SQL? What mark did you get?
Reply 69
Original post by Mattari
Was it just purely SQL? What mark did you get?

I got a low B and there were obviously some other aspects involved as I was making it in VB but I added quite a few queries such as search and checking plus adding and removing data.
Original post by John323
I got a low B and there were obviously some other aspects involved as I was making it in VB but I added quite a few queries such as search and checking plus adding and removing data.

Mine is a vb program using sql to connect to a database... I got 74, it shouldnt be a problem if you have sufficient amount of code and alpha testing in your implementation.
I'm really nervous about this exam, any revision techniques you are using? Nobody in our year did very well on one of their coursework grades (A452) so all of us need quite a good grade in our exam
Original post by Shannon#1
I'm really nervous about this exam, any revision techniques you are using? Nobody in our year did very well on one of their coursework grades (A452) so all of us need quite a good grade in our exam

A452 is the GCSE coursework I think; this is the thread for the A Level Computing Exam :tongue:. You are welcome to stay though :biggrin:
Is it possible to get an A* if I got a high B over all last year and a top a in F454?
Original post by James Carinduff
Is it possible to get an A* if I got a high B over all last year and a top a in F454?

Providing you have an A grade overall across the A Level with 90% in the A2 modules, you can achieve an A*.
What language is everybody programming in for F452?
anyone got any revision notes for f452? also how are people preparing for the algorithm questions?
Reply 77
anyone got any revision notes for f452? also how are people preparing for the algorithm questions?

They can only ever ask the same sort of string manipulation kind of questions. Learn how to do this and all should be good. I'm in the same boat, but I've spent the past 4 days doing 453 just to make sure I know that. After that's done I'll spend some time on 452.
Reply 78
Original post by ryandaniels2015
What language is everybody programming in for F452?

I'm doing python seeing as it is what I used for my program in 454. Shouldn't matter too much, but I've wondered what happens if you use a defunct or rare language.
Reply 79
Original post by AKC...
I'm doing python seeing as it is what I used for my program in 454. Shouldn't matter too much, but I've wondered what happens if you use a defunct or rare language.

Yeah you should be fine with Python, I used C# in mine.

Either way, it can't get much worse than my friend who panicked and wrote "pseudocode" as his language xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending