The Student Room Group

I'm an anti-feminist, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UDZ
I could go on for a while, but I guess my main point is the misinformation and false facts. An example is the wage gap - there isn't one. The "78 cents for a man's dollar" statistic is so misleading because it doesn't account for occupation, hours worked, job position and the time taken off when a woman takes care of a newborn baby.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763170.html

Yes it does.
Original post by UDZ
I liked the Harry Potter movies, but I don't LOVE Harry Potter. I just liked them as movies.

What's your favourite one of the movies?
Reply 22
Not too controversial on here, feel the majority are against the current wave of feminism

How many integer solutions are there to the equation x^2 + y^2 = z^2?
Reply 23
Original post by saladays
Could you clear up this then - are you against all feminists or just third wave feminists?

I don't think there are any first or second wave feminists left, but I guess just third wave. That doesn't mean I think 1st and 2nd did nothing wrong (racism) but that was more a problem with society as a whole, rather than just feminists.

Original post by thefatone
Is there any inequality for pay within the same occupation??

No, that's illegal. If it were true, all companies would hire women because they could just pay them less. Except they don't, because it's illegal.
Reply 24

No it doesn't, they just added up the total earnings of woman and added up the total earning of men, then compared them. Also, you're source doesn't say anything about occupation etc. counted in the statistic.

Original post by ivybridge
What's your favourite one of the movies?

The Deathly Hallows.
Original post by UDZ
I don't think there are any first or second wave feminists left, but I guess just third wave. That doesn't mean I think 1st and 2nd did nothing wrong (racism) but that was more a problem with society as a whole, rather than just feminists.

No, that's illegal. If it were true, all companies would hire women because they could just pay them less. Except they don't, because it's illegal.

I'm a bit confused, how can you think there weren't first or second wave feminists but you can accept there being third? Not to sound rude here but, surely you can count?

I don't understand your second point... they do. It happens. This is why the issue exists. Could you verify that it doesn't happen anywhere? And the law doesn't care - a woman takes a whole company to court for pay issues, she's probably going to lose.
Reply 26
Original post by UDZ
I could go on for a while, but I guess my main point is the misinformation and false facts. An example is the wage gap - there isn't one. The "78 cents for a man's dollar" statistic is so misleading because it doesn't account for occupation, hours worked, job position and the time taken off when a woman takes care of a newborn baby.

This is very narrow-minded. Just because women are living a fortunate life in the Western world doesn't mean that this is the case all over the world. There are girls in other countries who can't even go to school. As long as there is sexism (anywhere in the world, towards men or women) we need feminism. It means equality for both genders not women above men...:unimpressed::unimpressed:
Original post by UDZ
No it doesn't, they just added up the total earnings of woman and added up the total earning of men, then compared them. Also, you're source doesn't say anything about occupation etc. counted in the statistic.

The Deathly Hallows.

The source explains that certain things affect the statistics. Occupation is and obvious factor - that's what is being discussed. This would probably be because many men and women work in the same jobs yet have unequal rates of income for the same position in various fields. I don't disagree with fair discrimination - like, if you're playing for Wimbledon but are given less because less people watch the women's games then that's fair enough; similar things happen in football, amateur teams earn less than big premier league teams and that has nothing to do with gender discrimination. But I think you're ignoring a very real issue. It hasn't just come out of thin air.

Awesome; what subjects do you study and to what level?
Reply 28
Original post by UDZ
I wish that were true, but a lot of people seem to think that means I don't think women should have rights and that I'm a sexist pig.

I wouldnmt go that far, but certainly I have already judged you on your first post. And no, I'm still not looking for you to clear anything up.
Original post by Floj99
This is very narrow-minded. Just because women are living a fortunate life in the Western world doesn't mean that this is the case all over the world. There are girls in other countries who can't even go to school. As long as there is sexism (anywhere in the world, towards men or women) we need feminism. It means equality for both genders not women above men...:unimpressed::unimpressed:

so focus stuff around there then? not around in the more fortunate parts of the world where there's less wage gap?
Reply 30
I'm a bit confused, how can you think there weren't first or second wave feminists but you can accept there being third? Not to sound rude here but, surely you can count?

I don't understand your second point... they do. It happens. This is why the issue exists. Could you verify that it doesn't happen anywhere? And the law doesn't care - a woman takes a whole company to court for pay issues, she's probably going to lose.

I mean there aren't any first or second wave feminists now, I'm not denying the fact they existed.

Can you give me a source to show it does happen? And if by "anywhere" you mean in the world, then no. I am against the feminists in countries like the UK and US, not for other countries, where there is real inequality.

Do you remember the year when the "Ban Bossy" campaign was up? In that same year, a law was being passed in Israel that would allow women to be raped. Was there a campaign about that? No, because everyone was too busy complaining about a word.
"Hi guys, I watched an Amazing Atheist video and now I'm clever."
~ you
Original post by Floj99

Whilst I agree with you, I think you have to respect that movements are only worth as much as their relevance to a particular place. In the West, feminism is largely dying out because it's deemed predominantly unnecessary which, to an extent, is a fair interpretation. The Middle East is not the same as the West but implementing it in the West and pushing it further and further isn't doing anything for women in Saudi.
Reply 33
Original post by Floj99

But not in the first world. Like free bleeding. Slut walks. Safe spaces.

That isn't helping the oppressed women!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Floj99

Yes, I agree, feminism is extremely important - in the countries and places where there is inequality. Here's what I mentioned above:

Do you remember the year when the "Ban Bossy" campaign was up? In that same year, a law was being passed in Israel that would allow women to be raped. Was there a campaign about that? No, because everyone was too busy complaining about a word.
Why did you start this thread?
Reply 36
Original post by Floj99

True but modern feminism has more of a Western focus. There is much genuine inequality and hardship that is not being addressed in favour of issues that are either blatantly more trivial or derive an unsubstantiated sense of magnitude from nebulous definitions. I can't exactly take a moral high ground or anything as I haven't done anything for women's rights in countries where women do indeed have lesser rights based on their gender, but it is curious to me why many of the people who proclaim they are doing things in the name of equality don't seem to be focusing on the starkest inequalities.
Reply 37

The gender pay gap is the consequence of the choices women make.

What it doesn't mean: a woman is paid less than a man.

What is does mean: women work different hours. Do different jobs. And take longer holidays. Thus the figures make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UDZ
I mean there aren't any first or second wave feminists now, I'm not denying the fact they existed.

Can you give me a source to show it does happen? And if by "anywhere" you mean in the world, then no. I am against the feminists in countries like the UK and US, not for other countries, where there is real inequality.

Okay, then you clearly don't understand what it means to be part of a 'wave'. The point is, a second wave predates a third wave - nobody is saying the second wave still exists. That's the point.

With all due respect, you cannot redefine inequality just because you feel objectives have been met. The West still has big issues with inequality at large. Just because they're not as big and as blatant as in those countries situated in the Middle East or Asia, does not render them any less significant. And refer to the post I just made in response to @Floj99 - it's the same thing.
Reply 39
Original post by Dartychu
"Hi guys, I watched an Amazing Atheist video and now I'm clever."
~ you

That's a pretty big assumption. I don't like the Amazing Atheist at all. Not to say I don't agree with some of his opinions, but I find his videos painful to watch. My view on feminism took a long time to form, and research on both sides of the argument.

Quick Reply

Latest