The Student Room Group

My friend is dating a 52 year old guy. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
i just don't know how to react to things anymore

Lol that was so cute! ^ :colondollar:

And OP, let her be. There isn't much you can do anyway.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Lol that was so cute! ^ :colondollar:

And OP, let her be. There isn't much you can do anyway.

where's your avi gone?! :cry2:

thanks also :colondollar:
this sounds really weird ? even worse than Prof Shales vs Oregon in Fresh Meat....

[video="youtube;Fw9Ha4L6SQs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9Ha4L6SQs[/video]
Original post by Kylie Jenner
Usually when you hear about young people getting with an older partner there's always money involved...at least that's what I thought.

It's the only way I could rationalise this ridiculous relationship.

Oh yeah it's weird as ****, but it's her life and hopefully she'll come to her senses eventually
Original post by iEthan
where's your avi gone?! :cry2:

thanks also :colondollar:

I wanted a change (even though I loved my other one), I'm looking for an exam themed one atm :tongue:
Original post by Joel 96
Go ahead. Tell them. I'm positive they'll react the same way you have. Doesn't mean it's right.
If it was an older woman and a younger man, nobody would have a problem with it.

That's even less acceptable. What planet are you from? A 52 year old woman and a 19 year old guy. Is more disturbing imo.
Let your friend do what she needs to do op. It's not illegal and it's presumably all based on consent.

It's not unusual for women to date men quite a bit older than themselves on the basis that it takes the male gender so long to grow the eff up and be decent boyfriend material.

I have always dated older men and would actually be more concerned about my friend judging the situation negatively rather than the age gap.
Also your friend is old enough to make her own choices. I would be more concerned about you telling her parents because that will break trust and say more about you than anyone else.
Original post by iEthan
i just don't know how to react to things anymore

I will react for you, buddy.

: O
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Let your friend do what she needs to do op. It's not illegal and it's presumably all based on consent.

It's not unusual for women to date men quite a bit older than themselves on the basis that it takes the male gender so long to grow the eff up and be decent boyfriend material.

I have always dated older men and would actually be more concerned about my friend judging the situation negatively rather than the age gap.

@IAmNero
That's even less acceptable. What planet are you from? A 52 year old woman and a 19 year old guy. Is more disturbing imo.

You're letting your own ideals interfere with her choices. If there's no warning signs, then I think it's highly unacceptable to presume something is wrong.

What if he's a nice guy?
My good friend confessed to me that she's dating an 'older man' and at first I was supportive but when she told me just how much older he was I shuddered. I don't know what to do. Why would she do this to herself? She's 19 and her life is just beginning why would she do this? She is a confident person and always happy in herself and takes pride in herself as well. So I was completely shocked to learn this.

I know her family, her sisters/brothers. Should I tell them?

Even if we are not being judgmental right, think about your friend she has a whole life ahead of 'her, the older man is almost nearing 60... Dont think judgment, we know you care for your friend a lot.
She has jumped into a tunnel, at a young age, and potentially to date an older man with that gap is risk, for her own self and maybe future family.
Had the man been 27 or 30, we could have let it be. Cause 10 years around there may not be that bad.

Do it for your friends future and tell atleast her siblings or parent...
They will help her understand
The age gap is massive so they may both have different expectations of their relationship. If your worried then you should tell someone. I understand you care a lot about your friend and i know this must be a hsrd situation for you.
Nonce alert
What should you do? Nothing... there is no issue. If your friend is happy then let her be freaking happy. Yes they probably have vastly different life experience, so what? People from all walks of life get together. age is just a number, they are consenting adults so get over it and grow up.

You taking issue with this just shows that you don't trust her to be responsible enough for herself, you don't trust that she might just know herself better than u do. A decent friend won't take such an issue.

if he was abusing her then yes, you should dosomething about it. But that doesnt seem to case, the only problem is that they are different ages. So what.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I wanted a change (even though I loved my other one), I'm looking for an exam themed one atm :tongue:

here you go:
There's no good reason a man of his age would be interested in a girl of her age. It's just wrong.
Who are you to talk? You weren't even legal when you started dating Tyga.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Also your friend is old enough to make her own choices. I would be more concerned about you telling her parents because that will break trust and say more about you than anyone else.

I'm concerned for her, I hope she can see that. Is he taking advantage of her? What is she doing at his when she spends the night? Is it a healthy relationship? All questions I wanted to ask but couldn't because I didn't want to hurt her. But these are legitimate questions that I'm sure her mother wants to know the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest