The Student Room Group

I'm an anti-feminist, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TheTechN1304
And at 15 you think you know the first thing about gender inequality and feminism? What a load of ****. Ignorance at its finest.

I would rather argue ignorance is believing ones age determines their knowledge of anything. You can't predispose all 15 year olds to not understanding gender inequality.
Reply 81
Original post by ivybridge
That is different from having somebody like Lara Croft, for example, even though I don't think she is sexualised as such, being sexualised. Sex has no relevance in such a game. In games like GTA, it has partial relevance and therefore, you can accept it to a degree. 'Heterosexual' men play the game for the game, not to see some busty cartoon and 'a lot more' does not mean 'solely'. How its bad is the whole argument of the movement. Your argument is, 'it gets men off, therefore its okay', which is completely *******s.

And so what if a lot of things are unnecessary? That doesn't mean they are okay.

That is true, sex has no relevance in such a games, but that doesn't make any sexualisation in any game bad, which is what you said in your next sentence. However, your second sentence is contradictory to yourself once again. My argument is not 'it gets men off, therefore its okay', my argument is that sexualisation in video games as a whole is not a bad thing, and it doesn't cause sexism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UDZ
I am not against the dictionary definition of feminism, but against the real feminism that is happening now, in countries like the UK and US.

Okay. I'm in the UK and frankly haven't seen this 'real feminism' where men are put at a lower position than women. From my own experiences I've seen sexism towards women much more than towards men. Towards men it's things like double standards in society and the stereotypical image of men. However towards women I see things like pay gaps (not only towards women but also different races) and portrayal in the media.
Reply 83
Original post by AxSirlotl
Okay. I'm in the UK and frankly haven't seen this 'real feminism' where men are put at a lower position than women. From my own experiences I've seen sexism towards women much more than towards men. Towards men it's things like double standards in society and the stereotypical image of men. However towards women I see things like pay gaps (not only towards women but also different races) and portrayal in the media.

Pay gaps, they don't exist. I've already covered that in this thread.

The portrayal of women in the media is the fault of the media, not society as a whole or the government.
Original post by UDZ
That is true, sex has no relevance in such a games, but that doesn't make any sexualisation in any game bad, which is what you said in your next sentence. However, your second sentence is contradictory to yourself once again. My argument is not 'it gets men off, therefore its okay', my argument is that sexualisation in video games as a whole is not a bad thing.

You seem to see contradictions and hypocrisy where there isn't any. And yes, of course you'd say that because it isn't your biological sex that's had centuries of over sexualisation, oppression and the highest rates of sexual abuse, rape and sexual assault. It's a combined mission and effort to reform things and the way people think about women and sex. It's all for something better and without it, we wouldn't live in the type of liberal society we do.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I don't think there's any point in continuing the argument because we just disagree and that's fine but it'll go around and around and around.

Cheers for the debate :smile:.
Reply 85
Original post by ivybridge
You seem to see contradictions and hypocrisy where there isn't any. And yes, of course you'd say that because it isn't your biological sex that's had centuries of over sexualisation, oppression and the highest rates of sexual abuse, rape and sexual assault. It's a combined mission and effort to reform things and the way people think about women and sex. It's all for something better and without it, we wouldn't live in the type of liberal society we do.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I don't think there's any point in continuing the argument because we just disagree and that's fine but it'll go around and around and around.

Cheers for the debate :smile:.

The past is unnecessary. I am not saying the world would be a better place without any feminism at all, but that the current feminism in countries like the UK and US is damaging to society.

I guess you're right, I don't see any chance of convincing you otherwise, but also consider that others may be reading this thread later on who could have their views changed.

And cheers to you too.
Original post by UDZ
Pay gaps, they don't exist. I've already covered that in this thread.

The portrayal of women in the media is the fault of the media, not society as a whole or the government.

http://www.fawcettsociety.org.uk/policy-research/the-gender-pay-gap/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjoC6BRDXuvnw4Ym2y8MBEiQACA-jWXKDcw8E508baLrGC3vVUeN_h3iIxrYg5LRsAd6GisEaAvbS8P8HAQ

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/sites/default/files/Attachments/THE/THE/10_May_2012/attachments/Average_salary_of_academic_staff.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it0EYBBl5LI

You don't need to watch the video but the links in the description of it are important.
The media has an influence and shapes what our culture deems to be beautiful.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jackthb
I would rather argue ignorance is believing ones age determines their knowledge of anything. You can't predispose all 15 year olds to not understanding gender inequality.

And at 15 with no life experience, having not ever entered the workplace, how can one claim to understand gender inequality? It's ignorant to say 'I'm an anti-feminist because I don't think gender inequality exists', when it's something you're unlikely to know anything about.
Original post by UDZ
I could go on for a while, but I guess my main point is the misinformation and false facts. An example is the wage gap - there isn't one. The "78 cents for a man's dollar" statistic is so misleading because it doesn't account for occupation, hours worked, job position and the time taken off when a woman takes care of a newborn baby.

Yes it does thats quite literally the whole point.
Reply 89
And at 15 with no life experience, having not ever entered the workplace, how can one claim to understand gender inequality? It's ignorant to say 'I'm an anti-feminist because I don't think gender inequality exists', when it's something you're unlikely to know anything about.

Something like feminism can be debated without the need for anecdotes or personal experiences. There are feminists that haven't experienced sexism themselves, does that make their points any less valid? And the same with me, how are my points any less valid? How would it make a difference if I were 40 for example? I'm an anti-feminist because I know gender inequality doesn't exist, not in the UK at least, not at the legal level. I know this from real facts and statistics, not personal experiences.
Reply 90
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Yes it does thats quite literally the whole point.

No it doesn't. It's saying that if a man and a women worked the exact same hours in the exact same job, on average the woman would make 78% of the man which is not the case.
lmao
Reply 92

Sure it's unlikely, but experience isn't the only way to obtain an understanding of gender equality. Provided they are interested in it, they can quite easily find articles on the internet and educate themselves so they can make their own judgement.

It is unlikely that most working feminists actively experienced any issues that they seek to set right.
Original post by UDZ
No it doesn't. It's saying that if a man and a women worked the exact same hours in the exact same job, on average the woman would make 78% of the man which is not the case.

Yeah it does. The thing is althoguh the case you described above does happen, its not legal anymore so, its less of a global problem more specific employers. What people do say however is that there are factors working against women earning as m!uch as menm. For examp!e, women are often denoted the role of primary caregiver, and maternity leave pay is often less that of annual leave or sick pay, Women are often given less hours by their employers, etd etc .
Reply 94
Original post by SophieBarlow87
Yeah it does. The thing is althoguh the case you described above does happen, its not legal anymore so, its less of a global problem more specific employers. What people do say however is that there are factors working against women earning as m!uch as menm. For examp!e, women are often denoted the role of primary caregiver, and maternity leave pay is often less that of annual leave or sick pay, Women are often given less hours by their employers, etd etc .

No, it does not! They just added all the earnings of women, and compared them to all the earnings of men. How does that factor in hours worked, occupation etc? And if it isn't legal anymore, why do feminists keep spewing out this statistic?
Original post by UDZ
Something like feminism can be debated without the need for anecdotes or personal experiences.

It does require experience in the world of functioning mature adults, and not the world of the red pill subreddit.

Original post by UDZ
I'm an anti-feminist because I know gender inequality doesn't exist, not in the UK at least, not at the legal level. I know this from real facts and statistics, not personal experiences.

Oh, you know that it exists? Whoa, real facts and statistics, as opposed to imaginary ones!

I struggle to see how some people don't see the huge difference in treatment that women get. I honestly couldn't care less about debating the wage gap, because it comes down to which studies you believe. However, culturally, women are clearly lacking power and there are huge numbers of studies proving this (I'd encourage you to look at O'Barr and Atkins' work, just as a little taster lesson).

The only thing so-called meninists have is the whole thing about child custody, but apart from that it's just white middle-class men who think they are inherently better than women.
Original post by UDZ
No, it does not! They just added all the earnings of women, and compared them to all the earnings of men. How does that factor in hours worked, occupation etc? And if it isn't legal anymore, why do feminists keep spewing out this statistic?

Double post, I apologise.
Have you ever wondered why it is that women work lower hours or have lower paying occupations? You can spew crap about how "dem wimin not stronk enough for us mens work" but, in short, you're wrong.
Reply 97
Original post by Dartychu
It does require experience in the world of functioning mature adults, and not the world of the red pill subreddit.

Oh, you know that it exists? Whoa, real facts and statistics, as opposed to imaginary ones!

I struggle to see how some people don't see the huge difference in treatment that women get. I honestly couldn't care less about debating the wage gap, because it comes down to which studies you believe. However, culturally, women are clearly lacking power and there are huge numbers of studies proving this (I'd encourage you to look at O'Barr and Atkins' work, just as a little taster lesson).

The only thing so-called meninists have is the whole thing about child custody, but apart from that it's just white middle-class men who think they are inherently better than women.

So would I need to be raped in order to say rape is bad?

You don't need a study to show that paying a woman less than a man is illegal, it's illegal. It is true that women as a whole make less than men as a whole, but that is a result of personal choices, not sexism. Again, even if women are lacking power, how is this the result of sexism? I am not a "meninist", but there are more problems and inequalities that men face than just child custody.
Reply 98
Have you ever wondered why it is that women work lower hours or have lower paying occupations? You can spew crap about how "dem wimin not stronk enough for us mens work" but, in short, you're wrong.

Could you keep this debate civilised, rather than just sarcastic remarks. Yes, I have actually. But do you have evidence to show it is a result of sexism and not the natural biology of women?
Reply 99

It is because they can, there is a reason that there are bigger gaps in stem education in countries like the uk and USA than there is in countries like the Sudan or is Sudan how we should run our country?

Quick Reply

Latest