The Student Room Group

RAMADAN 2016 Any muslims planning on secretly not fasting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haboshti_1
ohhh really! because i can remember last year in some arabic countries the gcse students was fasting in ramdan and some 'greybeard' say it's allowed to these students to breaking the Ramadan fast, and fasting after the end of exams:smile:

just becuz they have a grey beard in arabic countries dosent mean its allowed all sholars eny this
Original post by pondsteps
Lol...... uhm how old are u?

private info why do u care about my age
Reply 222
Original post by Anonymous

Listen, you need to really think about this question:

Do you believe in god?

If your answer is yes, then I am sorry for you. You are in a trap of lies and indoctrination. The thing about the truth is, it'll always be true no matter what. Even if all knowledge of the truth was lost, it could still be found again. Oppressive, fearmongering rules based on stupid, baseless reasons are needed for religion to survive. Faith without reason is needed to keep these fairy-tales alive - but none of that is needed for the truth. Becoming an atheist is not making a choice, but more accepting the truth that is already there.

If you do start questioning your beliefs (which is good for anything, not just religion), I don't recommend coming out to your parents. Here's a handy flowchart:
Original post by mariam687
if u dont wanna fast then dont

dont just "pretend" too fast, thts just dumb asf,

lmao but im still fasting even wid exams

how is it dum asf? Stop being so judgemental and condescending. The fact their pretending to fast speaks volumes about there family's attitude to not fasting. If their going to be beaten/disowned/kicked out/bullied for not fasting then obviously their going to pretend. Only someone stupid would put themselves through pointless abuse when it can easily be avoided.
how is it dum asf? Stop being so judgemental and condescending. The fact their pretending to fast speaks volumes about there family's attitude to not fasting. If their going to be beaten/disowned/kicked out/bullied for not fasting then obviously their going to pretend. Only someone stupid would put themselves through pointless abuse when it can easily be avoided.

im sure it wouldnt be as extreme as being disowned lol
just explain to ur parents about hw exams are important and u need time off frm fasting lol
its just silly how u would pretend, im sure u can survive exams whilst fasting, exams are usually in the morning and in the afternoon anyway..
I was born into a muslim family, wouldn't consider myself a practicing Muslim at all. Last Ramadan i didn't fast i secretly ate when no one was around and i'm planning to do the same this year too as Ramadan approaches in a few weeks time. What are your thoughts on this? Do any fellow 'muslims' do this too? I know it's bad but i really don't see the point in fasting if i don't even practice the religion...? If you're a non muslims what are your thoughts on my decision? Just curious :smile:

Mate I was like that 2 years back. Eventhough ur parents cant see you try to always remember God can see you. Also the punishment is harsh for just missing 1 fast thats why I left my old ways and began making small changes like praying and fasting. :smile:
im sure it wouldnt be as extreme as being disowned lol
just explain to ur parents about hw exams are important and u need time off frm fasting lol
its just silly how u would pretend, im sure u can survive exams whilst fasting, exams are usually in the morning and in the afternoon anyway..

well it obviously depends on the family, there have been many cases of muslims being disowned, kicked out and even murdered for going against some of islams rules. the fact op is forced to pretend means he/she knows that their family would probably react badly and maybe doesnt want to go through unnecessary abuse, being judged, being shunned or frowned upon etc.

its not silly, its practical for the reasons ive already given. erm so what ? ppl can still be hungry in the mornings and afternoons and may not want to damage their body needlessly by fasting or put their grades at risk by not being properly nourished
well it obviously depends on the family, there have been many cases of muslims being disowned, kicked out and even murdered for going against some of islams rules. the fact op is forced to pretend means he/she knows that their family would probably react badly and maybe doesnt want to go through unnecessary abuse, being judged, being shunned or frowned upon etc.

its not silly, its practical for the reasons ive already given. erm so what ? ppl can still be hungry in the mornings and afternoons and may not want to damage their body needlessly by fasting or put their grades at risk by not being properly nourished

fasting isnt damaging ur body...
why would our religion have fasting if it was to damage out bodies?
obviously theres acceptions, for example ur pregnant, ill or something but its an act we have to do as muslims, im sure OP know tht, and who said op has to fast, they dont have to fast on exam days, they can make those fasts up after exams, its just no right to "secretly eat" whilst fasting

thts all im saying..
fasting isnt damaging ur body...
why would our religion have fasting if it was to damage out bodies?
obviously theres acceptions, for example ur pregnant, ill or something but its an act we have to do as muslims, im sure OP know tht, and who said op has to fast, they dont have to fast on exam days, they can make those fasts up after exams, its just no right to "secretly eat" whilst fasting

thts all im saying..

of course it is, not majorly but its not healthy to fast like that and can cause your body to start eating its reserves.

well whats right is subjective, you may not think it is and others think it is right if the alternative is getting abuse in any way shape or form. also, other muslims on this thread have said that you cant make up fasts later so it looks like other muslims dont even agree with you there.
of course it is, not majorly but its not healthy to fast like that and can cause your body to start eating its reserves.

well whats right is subjective, you may not think it is and others think it is right if the alternative is getting abuse in any way shape or form. also, other muslims on this thread have said that you cant make up fasts later so it looks like other muslims dont even agree with you there.

its only for a month, not for the rest of the yr..

ok if thts wht "other muslims " have said..

i think we'll leave it here, eh?
its only for a month, not for the rest of the yr..

ok if thts wht "other muslims " have said..

i think we'll leave it here, eh?

and..? still things can still be unhealthy if done over a short period.
Im not fasting this year i have exams and i dont care bout dis religion
Original post by aeroline1999
Last time I checked a C was a pass.

And what's more what is an E anyway, like 27%? So that means, I lost less marks than you gained! Yeah you're in a great position to lecture me that DNA doesn't exist aren't you. What questions did you even get right in your biology exam? The one where they ask you to count the dots? Actually from the sounds of it, even that would be too mentally strenuous for you!

Ahhh resulting to ad hominem and insults when your argument fails. I just checked Edexcel. Anything apart from a U is a pass. :tongue:
Original post by SemiteLog
Another topic started by a non-Muslim ?

"I am a Muslim but I am doing anything which is against Islam, you should do the same."

This is a poor tactic.

I wouldn't call it poor (though unoriginal). People are gullible enough to make the thread 12 pages long. :tongue:
and..? still things can still be unhealthy if done over a short period.

What's the first verse of the Qur'an? What does it mean?
I'm not religious either - before I went vegan I used to hide pepperami under my bed for when the hunger hit me, lol.
Original post by champ_mc99
I wouldn't call it poor (though unoriginal). People are gullible enough to make the thread 12 pages long. :tongue:

so whenever someone makes a thread like this is must be a non muslim troll ? theres nothing trollish about this, you seriously dont think its common for muslims to pretend to fast ?
Reply 237
Told my parents I won't be fasting anyway due to my exams being mostly in june and they weren't pissed off or anything. Parents need to learn to appreciate their kids' choices
Original post by champ_mc99

Whilst this thread could be by a troll of some sort, it could also be a genuine thread. It is impossible to know for certain.

But it is undeniable that there are many Muslims and ex-Muslims who do not wish to participate in ramadan but feel pressured to do so. It should really be one's own free choice, but the real issue is that so many feel unable to freely make such a choice. Would you not agree that the societal and familial pressure to fast often takes away the free choice to participate in Ramadan? Whether this thread is serious or not, I don't know, but the issue that this thread touches upon is a serious issue.
Do what you feel is best tbh, if fasting isn't doing anything for you and for your faith why do it? I like to think of faith as individual and personal. :smile: (even though I don't acknowledge a god.)

A boy in a few of my classes hasn't participated these past two years because it's during exams and it's just going to hinder him.

Quick Reply

Latest