The Student Room Group

My friend is dating a 52 year old guy. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saladays
There's no good reason a man of his age would be interested in a girl of her age. It's just wrong.

sex, surely, is the good reason here.
Aye, remember that age is just a number. As long as they love each other it don't matter
BTW, I have gotten with men over 40 and over 50. I am 19 too. I liked it. It was different, they were nice, they were mature and decent people who have faced the world and didn't obsess over me because they had bigger things to worry about than dates and university grades or whatever. And I find older men very attractive. What's the problem? :smile:
Original post by iEthan
here you go:

LMAO ETHAN :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It wasn't what I had in mind !
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
LMAO ETHAN :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It wasn't what I had in mind !

it'd do though :teehee:
Original post by Treeroy
BTW, I have gotten with men over 40 and over 50. I am 19 too. I liked it. It was different, they were nice, they were mature and decent people who have faced the world and didn't obsess over me because they had bigger things to worry about than dates and university grades or whatever. And I find older men very attractive. What's the problem? :smile:

So you're biased is what you're saying. Can you at least answer some of the questions I had for to put me at ease?

What was the sex like? Did the over 50 men pressure you into sex? Is there unequal power in the relationship? How did you handle their kids or did you never see them?
Original post by Kylie Jenner
So you're biased is what you're saying. Can you at least answer some of the questions I had for to put me at ease?

What was the sex like? Did the over 50 men pressure you into sex? Is there unequal power in the relationship? How did you handle their kids or did you never see them?

okay sure

The sex was fine, they more relaxed and less horny than boys my age who are just like rabbits. No I was never pressured into anything. Unequal power? Idk what that means. I was with them because I wanted to be with them.. no other reason. They treated me much more decently than some young guys have.
Never seen any of their kids.
What's their to know? He's older than her own dad. There is something wrong here... I'm considering telling her parents or at least one of her siblings.

The something that is wrong here is you.

What on earth gives you the right to break her trust and potentially cause suffering and heartache? Who do you think you are?

The supreme moral arbiter who gets to choose whether or not two single consenting adults have a relationship or not? It is their business, not yours, Jesus. :angry:.

The only thing that is a saving grace is that you are considering this, you aren't sure. You seem to be a very immature and unimaginative person, but even you seem to be dimly aware that this will destroy your friendship and may cause huge heartache and suffering that will be at your hands. You will be to blame.

But this isn't about you at all. It is about her. Your so called friend. And she gets to decide what is best for her life, not you. As you do in your life.

The simplest rule in personal morality is the oldest. It is called the golden rule. Don't do unto others what what you would not wish done unto you.

You wouldn't like some judgemental little girl behaving to you as you are contemplating doing to her, THAT is for sure.
I forgot to say that he is not even wealthy.

Original post by iEthan
i just don't know how to react to things anymore

Original post by Joel 96
Definitely an enormous age gap.
Would you say she's mature for her age?

Original post by ivybridge
Totally agree.

OP - just advise her as best you can. They are at completely different stages and he'll want things she doesn't. The gap is too big.

to all those who say the age gap is too big

"age is just a number"
Original post by thefatone

"age is just a number"

Except it's not.
Except it's not.

except it is
except it is

A three year old and a 50 year old for the win then, because "age is just a number".
A three year old and a 50 year old for the win then, because "age is just a number".

why not?
why not?

Because a child cannot consent and the 50 year old would be exploiting them, for one.
Because a child cannot consent and the 50 year old would be exploiting them, for one.

you mean the child cannot think for them self and thus would be being exploited

Different when both people are over the age of consent.
I'm concerned for her, I hope she can see that. Is he taking advantage of her? What is she doing at his when she spends the night? Is it a healthy relationship? All questions I wanted to ask but couldn't because I didn't want to hurt her. But these are legitimate questions that I'm sure her mother wants to know the answer.

She's an adult. It's nothing to do with her mother.

I have never had parental approval on some of my relationships but it doesn't mean that I am wrong and need everyone to intervene.

You need to respect your friend as an adult who is responsible for making her own choices.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Different when both people are over the age of consent.

I agree but I think we should move away from the legal implications a bit. I'm not saying the same thing applies to a 19 year old and a 52 year old because it doesn't.
So when I was 19 I slept with a guy who was 45. It wasn't a relationship. It was two mates having a shag and he was brilliant. However. When I was 22 I got into a relationship with a man who was 40 at the time. We are still together 4 years later and having the best time. He was a mature student at my uni. We have similar interests, we go on amazing dates. Neither of us are weathy but I left uni last year (he's just finishing his MA) and started up my own business that I hope to go into partnership with him in. My family and friends were all really supportive. Which is good because it gave me confidence in the relationship, however, if we break up I know I can come to them for support not to be told that I was too young for him etc.

If your friend is healthy and happy, then let her be.

And sex with older men is incredible by the way.

"age is just a number"

You obviously haven't read my other responses.

Quick Reply

Latest