The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 99joey
Have you done any research on seismic? I've gone over tectonic and volcanic but I have nothing on seismic D:

ive got some on the surface information on folding, faulting and the variety of seismic activity going on in the rift valley but nothing in too much detail, there's more to talk about on volcanic

when you say youve gone over tectonic, what do u mean cause like tectonic activity in general is compromised of volcanic and seismic no?
Original post by awesomewarsome
ive got some on the surface information on folding, faulting and the variety of seismic activity going on in the rift valley but nothing in too much detail, there's more to talk about on volcanicwhen you say youve gone over tectonic, what do u mean cause like tectonic activity in general is compromised of volcanic and seismic no?
The first question that my teacher made us do was 'Tectonic activityhas the main role in the formation of a variety of landscapes?' Therefore I went over tectonic processes which create landscapes including volcanic activity as well as external factors, therefore I pretty much have tectonic and volcanic down as they are both the same topics and case studies but I haven't done anything on seismic, my teacher says that's its extremely unlikely to come up though, as in not worth spending time on it, but that just scares me more haha she's jinxed it xP
Original post by 99joey
The first question that my teacher made us do was 'Tectonic activity has the main role in the formation of a variety of landscapes?' Therefore I went over tectonic processes which create landscapes including volcanic activity as well as external factors, therefore I pretty much have tectonic and volcanic down as they are both the same topics and case studies but I haven't done anything on seismic, my teacher says that's its extremely unlikely to come up though, as in not worth spending time on it, but that just scares me more haha she's jinxed it xP

ohhhhh, see i would've done it like this:

- intro - define tectonic activity/ talk about how it gives way to volcanism (extrusive/intrusive) and seismic (folding/faulting)
- talk about each pate boundary and examples of volcanic/seismic features is given at each one
-mention how weathering can create distinct landscapes

then for the analysis i wouldve done (whilst embedding in on which plate boundries etc they're formed on):

2.1 - extrusiev igenous activity
2.1.1 - example 1
2.1.2 - example 2

2.2 - intrusive igneous activity
2.2.1 - example 1

2.3 - folding
one example

2.4 faulting
brief example

2.5 - weathering / denundation
OR
2.6 - magma type

then for the conc i'd sum up that tectonic activity gives way to volcanism and seismicity but volcanism produces greater distinctive landscapes and how the volcanic landscapes vary at each plate boundary

i think i'd do something like that
Original post by awesomewarsome
ohhhhh, see i would've done it like this:- intro - define tectonic activity/ talk about how it gives way to volcanism (extrusive/intrusive) and seismic (folding/faulting)- talk about each pate boundary and examples of volcanic/seismic features is given at each one-mention how weathering can create distinct landscapesthen for the analysis i wouldve done (whilst embedding in on which plate boundries etc they're formed on):2.1 - extrusiev igenous activity2.1.1 - example 12.1.2 - example 22.2 - intrusive igneous activity 2.2.1 - example 12.3 - foldingone example2.4 faultingbrief example2.5 - weathering / denundationOR2.6 - magma typethen for the conc i'd sum up that tectonic activity gives way to volcanism and seismicity but volcanism produces greater distinctive landscapes and how the volcanic landscapes vary at each plate boundaryi think i'd do something like that
Bit different then what I did, This was my actual plan to that question:Plan:Introduction:Define define two words, tectonic process andlandscapes and give brief definition for additional key words such aslithosphere etc.

Focus 2 diagrams

Framework List Case studies and give briefdescription

Methodology: Table of 5 main source typesAnalysis

Constructive MAR/EAR 3 diagrams

Hotspots Hawaii/Yellowstone 2 diagrams

Intrusive Isle of Arran/ Himalayas 2diagrams

Sub-conclusion through-out

Extent to which tectonics have an impact

Conclusion:

Refer back to focus and use of case studies toback up evaluation / definitions

Answer question

My teacher is teaching unit 4 for the first time so he isn't even cover any of seismic and I only discovered it was present on the prelease a couple days ago so we've just been covering tectonic :/ Yours does seem to make more sense I guess :/
Anyone doing Development looked at the success of the MDGs? I guess it could come up since they just finished?
Reply 245
Original post by HarryOsborne2471
In terms of what landscapes we've been through all the intrusive/extrusive igneous features: so sills, dykes, batholith, lacolith etc for intrusive (Geo Factsheet 270 is good); fumerols, geysers, Lava plateau etc for extrusive. You'll also want to look at the type of volcanic cone; strato-, shield- etc. and the type of plate boundary they are associated with. Also any other features that a type of plate boundary may form, such as fold mountains.
Remember not to always look at volcanic and seismic activity in isolation: seismic can lead to volcanic through plate movements (think subduction/constructive margins). Hotspots are also important to remember - oceanic, such as Hawaii; continental, such as Yellowstone.

Seismic-wise, we've been told to look at types of fault and types of folding.

I think case studies will be hardest to put in for things like intrusive features (although batholith has the dartmoor one which isn't as bad), for volcanoes just have an example of each - if you know the formation of each type you'll just need an example of where. There will probably not be a lot to write about each case study, more just showing awareness of the process that form those landscapes.
Haven't thought about framework yet, on the agenda soon.

If anything doesn't make sense let me know.

Hello,Do you know where I can get the Geo Factsheets 270, 319, 329 for free?Do you have any links?If you have copies, would it be possible for you to send them to me?I would really appreciate that!Thanks-Lexie
Original post by econam
Anyone doing Development looked at the success of the MDGs? I guess it could come up since they just finished?

Yessss that's what I think will come up too. I could've sworn there's a past question on them but I can't remember.
Reply 247
Original post by CriminalMinds
Hi I've done a sample report for tectonics which my teacher says is good if you want it then could you send me your email address as it won't let me upload it.

You couldn't send this to me could you? I've got all the info but so stuck on how to organise it in the report!
Original post by Ao1811
You couldn't send this to me could you? I've got all the info but so stuck on how to organise it in the report!

Sure just send me you're email address
Original post by CriminalMinds
Hi I've done a sample report for tectonics which my teacher says is good if you want it then could you send me your email address as it won't let me upload it.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
I have sent you my email as a private message!
:smile:
How long is the report for unit 4 supposed to be approximately? 2500 words?
Original post by mynameis6453
How long is the report for unit 4 supposed to be approximately? 2500 words?
My Teacher says about 8 -10 pages
Reply 252
Original post by LexieA
Hello,Do you know where I can get the Geo Factsheets 270, 319, 329 for free?Do you have any links?If you have copies, would it be possible for you to send them to me?I would really appreciate that!Thanks-Lexie

Hi, are you still looking for them? I have 270 and 319, if you PM me your email I can send them!

I really need to narrow down and decide exactly which case studies I'll be using, but I'm also unsure whether to set it out by plate boundary or by different landforms/landscapes? I'm more comfortable with plate boundary though feedback suggests this can be a bit 'GCSE' and with conservative for example, you can't talk about very much except for San Andreas. Whereas constructive (divergent) boundaries there's plenty to talk about, Arran, Iceland, Mid Atlantic ridge, and perhaps the East African Rift?

How is everyone setting theirs out?
Hey, Is anyone doing Human health at risk and Pollution for unit 4? really stuck on how to dissect the pre-release as there are so many ways to go about it. :confused:

Also which diagrams would be the most relevant to this pre-release? Kuznets Curve?
Please help if you can - Thanks!
Original post by Candyflossss
Hey, Is anyone doing Human health at risk and Pollution for unit 4? really stuck on how to dissect the pre-release as there are so many ways to go about it. :confused:

Also which diagrams would be the most relevant to this pre-release? Kuznets Curve?
Please help if you can - Thanks!

same, i got no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bj1
Hi, are you still looking for them? I have 270 and 319, if you PM me your email I can send them!I really need to narrow down and decide exactly which case studies I'll be using, but I'm also unsure whether to set it out by plate boundary or by different landforms/landscapes? I'm more comfortable with plate boundary though feedback suggests this can be a bit 'GCSE' and with conservative for example, you can't talk about very much except for San Andreas. Whereas constructive (divergent) boundaries there's plenty to talk about, Arran, Iceland, Mid Atlantic ridge, and perhaps the East African Rift?How is everyone setting theirs out?
How do you PM, and my teacher told me not to do it by case study but to do it by scale so by meso, macro and micro
Reply 256
Original post by 99joey
How do you PM, and my teacher told me not to do it by case study but to do it by scale so by meso, macro and micro

I have sent you a PM which you can reply to. To send a PM hover over a username and click 'send private message'.

That sounds interesting! I'm not too familiar with scales but if that's what you've been taught then go for it! The closest mark scheme, January 2011 below, seems to accept many different frameworks including by location/boundary as long as the 'whole landscape' has been described.

The framework chosen may be by type of process, landscape, scale, location and possibly over time. Candidates may focus on landforms rather than whole landscapes, but at best this is a partial answer to the question
Original post by bj1
I have sent you a PM which you can reply to. To send a PM hover over a username and click 'send private message'. That sounds interesting! I'm not too familiar with scales but if that's what you've been taught then go for it! The closest mark scheme, January 2011 below, seems to accept many different frameworks including by location/boundary as long as the 'whole landscape' has been described.The framework chosen may be by type of process, landscape, scale, location and possibly over time. Candidates may focus on landforms rather than whole landscapes, but at best this is a partial answer to the question
Might be a stupid question but what does it mean by landform and landscape, aren't they basically the same as the landform is what making up the landscape, so if I was discussing Yellowstone or Middle Atlantic Ridge, would I fall into the trap of not taking about landscape and instead landform?
How many pages do you usually write for 10 and 15 mark answers? :smile:
Reply 259
Original post by bj1
Hi, are you still looking for them? I have 270 and 319, if you PM me your email I can send them!

I really need to narrow down and decide exactly which case studies I'll be using, but I'm also unsure whether to set it out by plate boundary or by different landforms/landscapes? I'm more comfortable with plate boundary though feedback suggests this can be a bit 'GCSE' and with conservative for example, you can't talk about very much except for San Andreas. Whereas constructive (divergent) boundaries there's plenty to talk about, Arran, Iceland, Mid Atlantic ridge, and perhaps the East African Rift?

How is everyone setting theirs out?

Sent! :smile:

My teacher said that they could easily ask you to focus on one specific plate boundary or two plate boundaries so she made us do essay plans on each specific plate boundary that would have 70 Marks worth of info!
I suggest that you set it out like that in your essay plan. Personally, I am setting it out like that in my plan but I will set it out in terms of landforms in the real thing if the question doesn't make us focus on one/two specified plate boundaries. This is because I want to do comparisons of landforms at the boundaries as I go through it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending