The Student Room Group

Am i revising correctly for english literature?

I write essays for all the themes in the novel of mice and men. Then I re read them and make sure I know it off by heart. Afterwards I practice past papers under timed condition.

I have done essays on the following themes: dreams, violence, loneliness and friendships. Am I revising correctly for the Wjec English Literature exam?
If not what am I doing wrong. Any help is very much appreciated.
Reply 1
Yes that sounds great, i'm doing WJEC too! Also you'll need to remember some key short quotes for each character in the novel
Reply 2
Original post by B3ASTy
Yes that sounds great, i'm doing WJEC too! Also you'll need to remember some key short quotes for each character in the novel

Thanks so much for replying. How many quotes should I need to remember for each character?
Reply 3
Original post by BFG-1
Thanks so much for replying. How many quotes should I need to remember for each character?

I'm remembering 5 for each
Reply 4
Original post by B3ASTy
I'm remembering 5 for each

Thanks
Reply 5
Which characters are you remembering them for?
Reply 6
Original post by samok
Which characters are you remembering them for?

I'm remembering quotes for Slim, George, Curley's wife and Lennie - due to the fact that they are mostly likely to come up this year.
Reply 7
So not George or Curley? Why is it more likely to come up?
Reply 8
Original post by samok
So not George or Curley? Why is it more likely to come up?

Slim has never come up. Candy came up last year. Apparently for the January resists Carlson and Curley came up. For the 2014 paper Crooks came up.
Original post by BFG-1
I write essays for all the themes in the novel of mice and men. Then I re read them and make sure I know it off by heart. Afterwards I practice past papers under timed condition.

I have done essays on the following themes: dreams, violence, loneliness and friendships. Am I revising correctly for the Wjec English Literature exam?
If not what am I doing wrong. Any help is very much appreciated.

Im doing AQA so I have a content question too (no idea if Wjec does?)
but for OMAM, Ive done a character analysis for each main character, the theme of the american dream and its impossibility (represented by candy and his dog in conjunction with Lennies death), the motif of how opression can be caused by weakness - Crooks opressed due to racial hatred, but still preys on Lennie - and how Steinbeck viewed women mysoginistically - again, more content tbh
Ive also looked at the title and how it related to the poem by Robert Burns

hoped that helped
Reply 10
Original post by helpmeyo1
Im doing AQA so I have a content question too (no idea if Wjec does?)
but for OMAM, Ive done a character analysis for each main character, the theme of the american dream and its impossibility (represented by candy and his dog in conjunction with Lennies death), the motif of how opression can be caused by weakness - Crooks opressed due to racial hatred, but still preys on Lennie - and how Steinbeck viewed women mysoginistically - again, more content tbh
Ive also looked at the title and how it related to the poem by Robert Burns

hoped that helped

Do you have any predictions for what might come up? It's really good that you've looked at the title by the way, few people put that in, the examiners like it.
I think the question might have something to do with the dream
Original post by etata
Do you have any predictions for what might come up? It's really good that you've looked at the title by the way, few people put that in, the examiners like it.
I think the question might have something to do with the dream

for the content question I have seen that they often refer to life on the ranch (has come up pretty much every year), so Im kinda expecting that
erm for the other one Im hoping that they talk about either social hierachy at the time or the illusion of the dream and its impossibility - could talk about it being a cyclic novella and how lennies death signifies the impossibility of the dream etc
Reply 12
for the content question I have seen that they often refer to life on the ranch (has come up pretty much every year), so Im kinda expecting that
erm for the other one Im hoping that they talk about either social hierachy at the time or the illusion of the dream and its impossibility - could talk about it being a cyclic novella and how lennies death signifies the impossibility of the dream etc

But the other year the question was about how Steinbeck shows some people are more important than others on the ranch. Yeah, I think the extract might be Candy's dog. How are you revising btw?
Original post by etata
But the other year the question was about how Steinbeck shows some people are more important than others on the ranch. Yeah, I think the extract might be Candy's dog. How are you revising btw?

Mainly through things lite litcharts and sparknotes etc
I have a very "borning" way of revision where I pretty much just copy whats written on a website into my own words so that I understand it. I also make my notes very brief and then expand them in the exam. Once I undertand it I dont usually forget it. I occasionally use the app Gojimo as it asks questions, but I tend to find that a lot of quizes are good at asking irrelevant info

Im also not focuing too hard on quotes, at the end of the day no quote is going to fit perfectly so I may as well just go with one that I can make a good point from and crack on with that

also, the examiners cnnot remember every quote in the book, im not sayaing that I would make up a quote but if I remember something roughly but cant find it on the day, I wont be overly fussed

and I didnt realise that the hierachy came up, lets just hope that something good is there, eh? :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Mainly through things lite litcharts and sparknotes etc
I have a very "borning" way of revision where I pretty much just copy whats written on a website into my own words so that I understand it. I also make my notes very brief and then expand them in the exam. Once I undertand it I dont usually forget it. I occasionally use the app Gojimo as it asks questions, but I tend to find that a lot of quizes are good at asking irrelevant info

Im also not focuing too hard on quotes, at the end of the day no quote is going to fit perfectly so I may as well just go with one that I can make a good point from and crack on with that

also, the examiners cnnot remember every quote in the book, im not sayaing that I would make up a quote but if I remember something roughly but cant find it on the day, I wont be overly fussed

and I didnt realise that the hierachy came up, lets just hope that something good is there, eh? :biggrin:

Haha that's very true, yeah, I hate revising quotes- I'm better off just choosing a line to write about in the actual exam. And yeah I've heard of that app, I should probably use it for pride and prejudice because I'm so **** it, it's unbelievable.

Well, we can hope but AQA have this theme going now, after biology, its making me doubt whether the question will even be about Of Mice and Men
Original post by etata
Haha that's very true, yeah, I hate revising quotes- I'm better off just choosing a line to write about in the actual exam. And yeah I've heard of that app, I should probably use it for pride and prejudice because I'm so **** it, it's unbelievable.

Well, we can hope but AQA have this theme going now, after biology, its making me doubt whether the question will even be about Of Mice and Men

AQA's not been too bad so far imo, there have been a few hard questions but nothing that bad. The biology thing is weird with the 15 y/o alchis but its not that deep, kids arent gonna turn around and go, "that legend from the AQA paper last year had a drink or two so why shouldnt I" are they?

The question about buisness must have been in the specification somehere (relating to drug trialling companies, but its the sorta thing that people would say "its never going to come up" and thus just ignore it
Original post by BFG-1
Slim has never come up. Candy came up last year. Apparently for the January resists Carlson and Curley came up. For the 2014 paper Crooks came up.

It came up once but it was like - Imagine your slim blah blah :biggrin:
Are you allowed your books ?
Reply 17
AQA's not been too bad so far imo, there have been a few hard questions but nothing that bad. The biology thing is weird with the 15 y/o alchis but its not that deep, kids arent gonna turn around and go, "that legend from the AQA paper last year had a drink or two so why shouldnt I" are they?

The question about buisness must have been in the specification somehere (relating to drug trialling companies, but its the sorta thing that people would say "its never going to come up" and thus just ignore it

To be fair I think every exam goes badly haha, anyway. But yh it's just that all the time I spent revising about hormones and stuff didn't even show, and where were ****ing drug trials! I think the alcoholic thing was hilarious, yeea goorn AQA
Nah the independent company thing was nowhere, plus the spec even said you do NOT need to know specific parts of the diet.
Reply 18
Original post by nisha.sri
It came up once but it was like - Imagine your slim blah blah :biggrin:
Are you allowed your books ?

No I don't think so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending