The Student Room Group

AAT after A levels

Hi everyone i'm just looking for a bit of advice but I'll give you some back story first. Last year I flopped my AS exams leading to a CEEU on results day so I ended up doing two A2's (accounting and ICT) AS Business studies and general studies. My plans are to go on a gap year to Australia and when I get back try to get an apprenticeship. With my results from this year i'm expecting to get 280-300 UCAS points not including general studies. I was wondering If I could start AAT at a higher level because i'll have an A level in accounting and whether AAT could be useful to become a financial advisor because I'd either like to be one of those or an Accountant, Thankyou
Original post by ylandlater
Hi everyone i'm just looking for a bit of advice but I'll give you some back story first. Last year I flopped my AS exams leading to a CEEU on results day so I ended up doing two A2's (accounting and ICT) AS Business studies and general studies. My plans are to go on a gap year to Australia and when I get back try to get an apprenticeship. With my results from this year i'm expecting to get 280-300 UCAS points not including general studies. I was wondering If I could start AAT at a higher level because i'll have an A level in accounting and whether AAT could be useful to become a financial advisor because I'd either like to be one of those or an Accountant, Thankyou
AAT is brilliant. I am studying Level 3 whilst doing A-Levels. I think you should do AAT Level 4 if you already have an A-Level in accounting!
Reply 2
Thankyou for the response how are you doing it alongside A levels, I've never heard of it done like that before I thought you had to do it in the while at work
Original post by ylandlater
Thankyou for the response how are you doing it alongside A levels, I've never heard of it done like that before I thought you had to do it in the while at work
Well I am doing it privatlely through Kaplan Financial. I am in my first year of A-Levels and I thought it might be a good idea to get ahead as I really want to get one of the Big Four Accounting firms. I thought by doing AAT it would help me get a better chance of getting in. I did Level Two last year whilst doing GCSEs and it has really helped with AS accounting.
Reply 4
I did a levels last year and failed one subject , but got a B in accounting but I would highly suggest you do AAT level 3 because it's completely different to a level that even with a good amount of knowledge I found it a little hard at the beginning, you don't have to take one year to do it , you could self study and theoretically pass in 6 months and then move on to level 4? Hope this helps ask me any other questions you may have I'm currently on AAT level 3 with my last exam in 5 days !
Original post by Ismailh97
I did a levels last year and failed one subject , but got a B in accounting but I would highly suggest you do AAT level 3 because it's completely different to a level that even with a good amount of knowledge I found it a little hard at the beginning, you don't have to take one year to do it , you could self study and theoretically pass in 6 months and then move on to level 4? Hope this helps ask me any other questions you may have I'm currently on AAT level 3 with my last exam in 5 days !
I'm considering an apprenticeship in accounting, I have been doing a lot of research into it and I'm very interested in it and it seems something that I would really enjoy. I'm currently doing a2 psychology and as biology and chemistry. Considering I'm not doing accountant related subjects what are the chances of getting an apprenticeship in accountancy. I also have a C in maths GCSE (although I was very close to a B). Since in September I will be doing a2 biology and chemistry and need to take at least 3 subjects, I'm going to re-take GCSE maths along sides. Opinions please? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RedRosesBloom
I'm considering an apprenticeship in accounting, I have been doing a lot of research into it and I'm very interested in it and it seems something that I would really enjoy. I'm currently doing a2 psychology and as biology and chemistry. Considering I'm not doing accountant related subjects what are the chances of getting an apprenticeship in accountancy. I also have a C in maths GCSE (although I was very close to a B). Since in September I will be doing a2 biology and chemistry and need to take at least 3 subjects, I'm going to re-take GCSE maths along sides. Opinions please? :smile:

I dont have too much experience in the apprenticeship side as i've just turned 19 however I know people in my AAT level 3 class who are doing accountancy apprenticeships and to be honest i think your best bet would be to do level 3 as it would give you a really good level of understanding accountancy and its only for 1 year (depending on the provider) so if you do take it on and you decide its not for you you wouldn't have lost much time as these classes teach you how to deal with different aspects of accountancy (financial accounting or management accounting which is what i love) and i feel like going straight into an apprenticeship could work however you may only learn things based on the type of firm you work with for example, if your working with a team of financial accountants you may only gain financial accounting based experience and you may end up disliking the profession based on your narrow range of knowledge.

All in all i think it is better to study AAT level 3 part time and just get a job or even an apprenticeship who will support you by allowing you to study whilst working with them. I personally wanted to work part time and study aat rather than do an apprenticeship.

hope that helps.
I dont have too much experience in the apprenticeship side as i've just turned 19 however I know people in my AAT level 3 class who are doing accountancy apprenticeships and to be honest i think your best bet would be to do level 3 as it would give you a really good level of understanding accountancy and its only for 1 year (depending on the provider) so if you do take it on and you decide its not for you you wouldn't have lost much time as these classes teach you how to deal with different aspects of accountancy (financial accounting or management accounting which is what i love) and i feel like going straight into an apprenticeship could work however you may only learn things based on the type of firm you work with for example, if your working with a team of financial accountants you may only gain financial accounting based experience and you may end up disliking the profession based on your narrow range of knowledge.

All in all i think it is better to study AAT level 3 part time and just get a job or even an apprenticeship who will support you by allowing you to study whilst working with them. I personally wanted to work part time and study aat rather than do an apprenticeship.

hope that helps.

Definitely! Well, by the time I finish a-levels I will be 19, so I still have some time to consider my options. Thanks you so much :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RedRosesBloom
Definitely! Well, by the time I finish a-levels I will be 19, so I still have some time to consider my options. Thanks you so much :smile:

Do come back and tell us the decision you picked!
All the best
Do come back and tell us the decision you picked!
All the best
Certainly, thank you :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending