The Student Room Group

Accomodation Reservation Fee

is this refunded once you arrive at the accomodation? In the information I have received from my particular accomodation (not university owned) it says that my reservation fee will be "allocated to your rent account on arrival. "

What does this mean? Would my first rent payment be reduced by the reservation fee amount?
I think it means it all goes towards your rent, meaning you shouldn't have to pay as much the first month or two.
Reply 2
It may act as your deposit, and youll get it back at the end of the year.
Reply 3
how much did u pay deposit?
Reply 4
As far as I know, it means exactly what it says - they're asking you to pay a deposit so you're financially committed to actually turning up and moving in (rather than a damage deposit) so once you get there they'll put that money towards your rent account. It may not all come out of your first rent payment, though (because that would be rather lopsided to budget for) - they might take it out at two or three points spread out throughout the year.
Reply 5
It isn't a deposit since I also have to pay a deposit upon arrival which I will get back at the end on my tenancy.

My reservation fee is £250 and my deposit is also £250. It's a fair amount of money to shell out in the space of six weeks considering all the other stuff I have to get for university. Plus, this all has to be paid before my loans come through which sucks ... Credit Card overdraft, anyone? lol
Reply 6
^^ I would check very carefully all the terms and conditions of the accommodation you are applying for.

The accommodation I am applying for is owned by CRM, and in their T&C it states that upon your arrival, your booking fee converts into a refundable* security deposit

Check the T&Cs of your tenancy. I know it's extremely boring but it must be checked through thouroughly.

*providing no major damage is done to their property.
Reply 7
AidanLunn
^^ I would check very carefully all the terms and conditions of the accommodation you are applying for.

The accommodation I am applying for is owned by CRM, and in their T&C it states that upon your arrival, your booking fee converts into a refundable* security deposit

Check the T&Cs of your tenancy. I know it's extremely boring but it must be checked through thouroughly.

*providing no major damage is done to their property.

Thanks for the reply - and that was actually the first thing I did upon receiving the information from the accomodation officer. It was indeed a mind numbingly dull PDF file but as you said, it must be done.

And it states that the reservation fee and deposit are two different things. I have emailed them to find out more information regarding this, and if it would be possible to send my reservation fee to them now, and then use that reservation fee as my deposit upon arrival.

However as others have said, I think this £250 fee will simply be put towards my first termly rent payment.
for us it acts as a damages deposit. you get it back whats left of it at the end of the year
Our booking fee came off our 1st terms rent which was usefull.
Reply 10
Mine turns into our damage deposit, we get it back at the end of the year after inspection of the place.
Reply 11
animals
Mine turns into our damage deposit, we get it back at the end of the year after inspection of the place.

yeah I have to pay that as well as this reservation fee .. Kinda sucks really
Reply 12
My daughter has been asked to pay £120 booking fee for accommodation at Chichester Uni, all it says is it is non refundable if you decline the offer. Only refundable if you fail to get your grades. Seems a lot of money if you don't get any of it back.
Original post by Triplets
My daughter has been asked to pay £120 booking fee for accommodation at Chichester Uni, all it says is it is non refundable if you decline the offer. Only refundable if you fail to get your grades. Seems a lot of money if you don't get any of it back.

If she is booking accommodation, has she not already made the university her firm? In that case, surely it is her intention to go there in September unless she doesn't meet her offer (in which case, she gets the £120 back anyway)? Is she very likely to change her mind about taking up the place?
Reply 14
Hi yes she has made it her firm choice, has requested her choices for accommodation which will be randomly allocated in Aug. Then she pays the £120, I just don't understand if that is a one off just for accepting it ? Some friends at other unis have told her they will deduct that towards her accommodation charges, I don't read it that way.
Original post by Triplets
Hi yes she has made it her firm choice, has requested her choices for accommodation which will be randomly allocated in Aug. Then she pays the £120, I just don't understand if that is a one off just for accepting it ? Some friends at other unis have told her they will deduct that towards her accommodation charges, I don't read it that way.

Hmm, I see what you mean - my son had to make a payment of £550 last year on accepting his offer of accommodation at Birmingham, but that was definitely a 'pre-payment', with the balance due at the beginning of term. Looking at the wording on the Chichester site, this does look like a completely separate payment. It does seem rather a lot.

Quick Reply